Sending Emails With Important Info to My Bosses (Two Attorneys)

The way we exchange info in our office is via email.

This way we have a record and can save to the file.

Often times (and this happens with both the attorneys I work with)... I will send them a substantive email relaying information they either asked about prior or that they need to know.

Or sometimes I have a question so send them an email.

It is very frustrating because often times they won't read it, but then ask me later for the same info I just sent them an email about!

If I asked a question, since they did not read the email, my question does not get answered and I have to verbally follow up... after which they will respond, telling me to send them an email! Well guys, I already sent you an email but you didn't answer!

This is so frustrating for me, why can't they just read the email I sent?

I realize they are both super busy and receive a ton of email, but this is their preferred method of communication, again so we have a record for the file.

And I am busy too and should not have to keep following up! Ugh.

So my question to y'all is.... how do I address this with them without sounding rude?

They are my bosses after all.

Thanks guys!!

Edited by katiegrl
GorillaTheater

My paralegal would be inclined to ask me "so GT, did you read the f*cking email I sent or what?"

I'm guessing that you might not be comfortable with that approach, though.

• Like 8
losangelena

Is there a scenario in which they can sort of "feel" the consequences of leaving a question unanswered? Right now it seems like you are running yourself ragged, getting them to respond to you. I think they need to somehow "see" the importance of keeping you updated through timely email communication, as is the set up, "preferred" method.

They're not going to change unless you do.

Do you feel comfortable letting something fall through the cracks? Something that, when they come back and say, "why didn't this happen?," you can reply with, "well I emailed you about this and you never responded."

Granted, they will probably say that you should've circled back and gotten a response, but that will be a perfect opportunity for you to say that the way things are done now isn't working and that you need to come up with a better system. Otherwise you're just nagging, and that never works.

That or do what GT suggests—swear at them.

How long have you worked for them? Is there room to be a bit bossy?

bathtub-row

When they ask you to send an email, just forward them the original one that you sent them.

Most of the time my emails get answered but I have two fallbacks if they don't. First of all, if I end up having a discussion about it outside the email, I send myself an email about what was talked about. I make any notes that may be relevant if I have to refer to it a few months down the road.

The other thing I use is an email tracker called Sidekick. It may be called HubSpot now - I'm not sure. Either way, it's awesome and costs about $10/mo. It notifies you when a person opens an email. For a particular line of work I'm in, this is extremely valuable info. And that monthly payment allows you to use it on several email accounts, not just one. There are a few things that can trip it up but for the most part, it's pretty reliable. If you get it, you'll be able to tell at least if your bosses saw the email.

losangelena

FWIW, I've found that in general, email is the lousiest way to communicate—everyone hates email, they never respond.

Emailing in your case could very well just be a formality.

• Author
My paralegal would be inclined to ask me "so GT, did you read the f*cking email I sent or what?"

I'm guessing that you might not be comfortable with that approach, though.

Oh I wish I could say that to them.... except I already know they didn't read it because on the off chance they DO read it, they will usually respond with "thanks."!

But aside from that, what happens is, for example, they will ask me to call the court and ask them XXXXXXX.

So I call the court, get the info, send an email to boss relaying the info.... and then later that same day, they (well whomever asked for the info) will email me ..... "did you call the court? What did you find out?"

At that point I look for the original email I sent and forward, but like I asked, why should I have to do that? I receive a ton of emails too so I have to scroll back through my sent items and look for the original email!

I dunno I wish I could just say to them "look guys I know you are busy but so am I, so as such could you just PLEASE read my damn emails???!!

I can't say that though!

Edited by katiegrl
GorillaTheater

You might be able to make the point by forwarding your previous email to them, leaving unspoken the implication that they're dumbasses for not seeing it the first time.

• Like 3
  • Author
You might be able to make the point by forwarding your previous email to them, leaving unspoken the implication that they're dumbasses for not seeing it the first time.

That is exactly what I have been doing... but unfortunately they are still not "getting" it (the point).

I dunno it's just very frustrating that they continue to ask me for the same damn info I already sent them an email about.

Just re-send the e-mail. Your job is to make the attorney's job easier. It's not their job to make your life easier. I know that doesn't seem fair but it is the pecking order in a law firm.

• Like 6
  • Author

Why does your paralegal ask you that?

Do you NOT read his/her emails either?

What's up with that?

• Like 1
  • Author
Just re-send the e-mail. Your job is to make the attorney's job easier. It's not their job to make your life easier. I know that doesn't seem fair but it is the pecking order in a law firm.

Yeah, I guess that is just what I will need to do... grin and bear it.

Some days are better than others.

GorillaTheater
Why does your paralegal ask you that?

Do you NOT read his/her emails either?

What's up with that?

I've probably been guilty of it once or twice, but mainly I just know how she'd react to something like that.

We have a pretty egalitarian relationship, which can be good or bad. For a guy who does mainly employment law, I'm probably a pretty lousy manager.

• Like 1

I would tell them, Here, I'll resend you the email I sent two weeks ago. Then forward the one you already wrote.

I had a job once (not lawyers) but everyone had been there 30+ years so I was very expendable. The woman I worked under and passed stuff back and forth with, like for her final approval on technical items or whatever. Often it was the physical file folder. So for my own purposes, because everything was very similar with only small technical differences and nothing to make anyone or thing stand out, I began using my email for a way to track everything. All the old-timers were automatically able to access all emails because they were stored on a server, as it is in most businesses these days.

So if she asked for a file, I would put something in there under a reference number saying she now had the file. Well, turns out she was not always right on top of it and would come asking me for stuff she had on her own desk. So I would gently tell her this. But she got tired of me not taking the blame for it and passing it back to her and they fired me after one such incident when she insisted I had put the file on her desk without her asking and she didn't know it was there!!!! I had NO reason to randomly put a file on her desk. Jeez. I guess the real job description there was scapegoat.

• Author
I would tell them, Here, I'll resend you the email I sent two weeks ago. Then forward the one you already wrote.

I had a job once (not lawyers) but everyone had been there 30+ years so I was very expendable. The woman I worked under and passed stuff back and forth with, like for her final approval on technical items or whatever. Often it was the physical file folder. So for my own purposes, because everything was very similar with only small technical differences and nothing to make anyone or thing stand out, I began using my email for a way to track everything. All the old-timers were automatically able to access all emails because they were stored on a server, as it is in most businesses these days.

So if she asked for a file, I would put something in there under a reference number saying she now had the file. Well, turns out she was not always right on top of it and would come asking me for stuff she had on her own desk. So I would gently tell her this. But she got tired of me not taking the blame for it and passing it back to her and they fired me after one such incident when she insisted I had put the file on her desk without her asking and she didn't know it was there!!!! I had NO reason to randomly put a file on her desk. Jeez. I guess the real job description there was scapegoat.

Oh I have experienced that same thing at prior law firms with certain (very difficult) attorneys, and yes that is extremely frustrating too!

Asking me for a file (or anything really), my giving it to them and then later claiming I did NOT give it to them.

When the whole time it was in their office!

I had one attorney (I quit after a year) who when I went into his office and found it, he accused me of putting it there after he had asked for it (the second time) and after I had already put it in there!

Oh man he was the worst. But I had to take it for year cuz it was my first job after receiving my paralegal degree.... and I needed the experience.

These guys I work for now are pretty fair, just this one thing frustrates me.

But it helps to vent....

• Like 1

Best way... Find the email ( since its goal is record keeping),

Print it out and hand it to them. all done with action.

Secondly I used to say... Hmmm... Let me look, then turn the monitor around and say... Yup! I sent it on Tuesday at 1:48. Shall I call IT and see if our email server is acting up?

I agree OP, there is a misconception being played, that your efforts are being overlooked.

My solution would be continuing with my education to avoid needing to have a ****ty job like this. Best long term solution.

• Like 2
The way we exchange info in our office is via email.

This way we have a record and can save to the file.

Often times (and this happens with both the attorneys I work with)... I will send them a substantive email relaying information they either asked about prior or that they need to know.

Or sometimes I have a question so send them an email.

It is very frustrating because often times they won't read it, but then ask me later for the same info I just sent them an email about!

It's entirely possible they haven't even seen your email yet when they asked the question. I used to get hundreds of emails a day when I was an attorney. And yes, I'm not perfect. Sometimes I wouldn't see the email with the answer. And if I happened to see a paralegal in the coffee room or hallway, I might just ask her if she found the answer.

Here's how you respond. "Yes, I sent you an email about that this morning. Would you like me to resend it?"

If I asked a question, since they did not read the email, my question does not get answered and I have to verbally follow up... after which they will respond, telling me to send them an email! Well guys, I already sent you an email but you didn't answer!

This is so frustrating for me, why can't they just read the email I sent?

Just resend the same email. It's not that big a deal.

Sometimes, I found that the questions I was getting from paralegals were pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of what I was trying to get accomplished for the day. Other times I would see the email, be about to respond, and then get pulled into something else. And I'd forget about it. If it's important to you, then it's on you to follow up with me. Either verbally, or just send the email again as a reminder.

Try not to let it bother you. I don't think they are intentionally trying to be jerks to you. They're just busy.

• Like 2

IME paralegals actually work much harder than attorneys. :p

Really, is this sth read receipts wouldn't solve? Every time they had to click that little box they'd be reminded that they have to own the implication of having read your email, and all without you having said a word. :)

That's the way it works in my company anyway - if you CYA that way and sth blows up and you've got the email and read receipt to back you up, you're good. It's like a built-in system of accountability ....crazy! ;)

• Like 2
Oh I have experienced that same thing at prior law firms with certain (very difficult) attorneys, and yes that is extremely frustrating too!

Asking me for a file (or anything really), my giving it to them and then later claiming I did NOT give it to them.

When the whole time it was in their office!

I had one attorney (I quit after a year) who when I went into his office and found it, he accused me of putting it there after he had asked for it (the second time) and after I had already put it in there!

Oh man he was the worst. But I had to take it for year cuz it was my first job after receiving my paralegal degree.... and I needed the experience.

These guys I work for now are pretty fair, just this one thing frustrates me.

But it helps to vent....

Yeah, that's exactly what she did, but then when I provided my dated email notes proving she'd asked for it and gotten it, that's what really made her mad. Because everyone there would have believed her but I was smart enough to keep a paper trail, and she did not like that.

That is exactly what I have been doing... but unfortunately they are still not "getting" it (the point).

I dunno it's just very frustrating that they continue to ask me for the same damn info I already sent them an email about.

I have worked as an underling in publishing, marketing, and two startups.

It happened ALL THE TIME at each place I worked. I'd start developing a taste for it until you rise in the food chain.

Edited by Deirdra
  • Like 1
Montgomery Burns

My Manager is so guilty of this. He will even send me an accusatory email that it wasn't sent or that I missed a deadline. He even sometimes has the wrong date or time for a meeting because he didn't see the update and tells me I'm late or missed it. Everytime I have my original email to back me up and all is well. But it is very inconsiderate. Maybe ask them to setup a filter for types of emails to go to specific folders. That way they won't be lost in their boxes.

• Author
My solution would be continuing with my education to avoid needing to have a ****ty job like this. Best long term solution.

No it is actually a great job! I really enjoy it and my role there.

I always like to continue my education though.... but I am gonna stick with what I am doing.

• Author

Here's how you respond. "Yes, I sent you an email about that this morning. Would you like me to resend it?"

Just resend the same email. It's not that big a deal.

Thank you clia that is actually exactly how I respond.... or close to.

However, while no it's not a huge deal, it does get to me after awhile.

But as I said some days are better than others.

When I created this thread it had just happened again, the third time that day.... so was a bit frustrated about it.

Thank you all for responding.... it's all good. :)

• Author
IME paralegals actually work much harder than attorneys. :p

Really, is this sth read receipts wouldn't solve? Every time they had to click that little box they'd be reminded that they have to own the implication of having read your email, and all without you having said a word. :)

That's the way it works in my company anyway - if you CYA that way and sth blows up and you've got the email and read receipt to back you up, you're good. It's like a built-in system of accountability ....crazy! ;)

Jen I don't get what you mean.

I am the one sending them the email, so when they read it, I receive the *read* receipt (past tense) once they open and read. Not them.

Or do mean something different from that? Like a pop up reminder for them to read it?

Plus my gripe is not that they don't read it. Not exactly. Nothing is gonna blow up (for me) I have done my part, and I can prove that by locating the email I sent in my *sent* items.

Frankly I could not care less if they don't read it.

It only bothers me because they continue to ask for the same information ... that I had already sent them an email about. It gets old.

They don't get angry at me or anything or accuse me of not doing what they asked ... so no problem there.

Again it just gets annoying that they continue to ask for the info when all they had to do is open and read my email.

They do the same thing with our associate. She gets frustrated as well.

Apparently they don't consider our emails, even when it contains important info, a priority.

So they just ask for it again.

Anyway, I am doing what clia suggested.

When they ask for it again, or asked me if I did it, I say "yes and I sent you an email on that this morn, I will re-send it now."

Yesterday, I said to one verbally, "did you read my email re my conversation with Mr. Smith"?

He said no.... but I will thanks.

Edited by katiegrl