is this normal for a recruiter?

I had a pleasant experience the last time I worked with a recruiter (it was also my first time), and I can't say I expected these:

recruiter 1: called me 10 times the day after I submitted my resume. Granted, I didn't answer most of those calls, but my god.

recruiter 2: asked if she could call me back the next day, but didn't. So I called her, and then she pushed for me to schedule an appointment with her. I said I'd like to withdraw my application, but then she scheduled an interview with the company without checking to see if I'll be able to make it. What is this person doing?? If I don't show up to the interview this one time, will the company blacklist me from ever working there?

Did I just get lucky with the first recruiter?

I can't say that either is "normal". Seems like you have dealt with two ends of a spectrum. Recruiters are very much like sales people so their approaches are going to vary as are their skill/personality abilities.

So, no the 2nd is not a good recruiter because they aren't paying attention to details and pissing off people in the process of trying to get to a commission. The 1st is very attentive but almost OCD and could be viewed by many as overbearing and even harassing.

A recruiter should have decent communication, should "keep you warm" by reaching out via phone and email, timely communication updates during the process even just to check in if the process as stalled, make sure to get your availability but also understand that you are a time sensitive commodity that may come off the market at any point. The recruiter should also wrap up with all candidates at the end of the process and communicate to them if they got the position and if not any potential feedback that is able to be expressed. They should also, and this is depending on if you are dealing with external recruiters and not internal, keep you in the loop on other opportunities so they are keeping you going for a better fit elsewhere.

• Like 2

These people are a waste of time. Most of the time they just waste your time. I remember when I initially graduated college, I had no idea about recruiters and I would apply for jobs and get calls from them.

I would go meet up with them hoping that they would get me a job or SOMETHING. They would call, I would meet up with them and they asked me stupid questions that could of been asked over the phone and then said "we'll get back to you when we find something suitable".

This drove me crazy because there was a particular position I applied for, if I wasn't a fit for that, why the HELLL in earth would you waste my time?. Few weeks after that would hear from them again asking if im interested in another position to only go through the same process again. After going through this process a few times with about 8 different recruiters, I could be JOBLESS and I will not work with those people. I will find my own job without their help.

My friend went to meet with a recruiter that said he was available at 8PM at night. This is not business hours so that's shady. Turns out he was a recruiter but he was the only person at the office. My friend felt uncomfortable as he was flirting with her and left during the middle of his questioning.

Don't get your hopes up with these people. Try to avoid applying to jobs that work with recruiters.

Good luck !

• Like 1
These people are a waste of time. Most of the time they just waste your time. I remember when I initially graduated college, I had no idea about recruiters and I would apply for jobs and get calls from them.

I would go meet up with them hoping that they would get me a job or SOMETHING. They would call, I would meet up with them and they asked me stupid questions that could of been asked over the phone and then said "we'll get back to you when we find something suitable".

This drove me crazy because there was a particular position I applied for, if I wasn't a fit for that, why the HELLL in earth would you waste my time?. Few weeks after that would hear from them again asking if im interested in another position to only go through the same process again. After going through this process a few times with about 8 different recruiters, I could be JOBLESS and I will not work with those people. I will find my own job without their help.

My friend went to meet with a recruiter that said he was available at 8PM at night. This is not business hours so that's shady. Turns out he was a recruiter but he was the only person at the office. My friend felt uncomfortable as he was flirting with her and left during the middle of his questioning.

Don't get your hopes up with these people. Try to avoid applying to jobs that work with recruiters.

Good luck !

I disagree. There are many levels of recruiters. What you are talking about are the agencies that tend to focus on entry level/admin asst types of jobs. There are recruiters at many levels up the chain and a large number dedicated to just executive searches.

If one eliminated all positions that work with recruiters, both internal and external, you are almost eliminating all potential opportunities. Not a smart career choice.

I, myself work with outside recruiting firms that are dedicated to middle management, upper management, and ones that are only working on executive and C suite level.

• Like 3
I disagree. There are many levels of recruiters. What you are talking about are the agencies that tend to focus on entry level/admin asst types of jobs. There are recruiters at many levels up the chain and a large number dedicated to just executive searches.

If one eliminated all positions that work with recruiters, both internal and external, you are almost eliminating all potential opportunities. Not a smart career choice.

I, myself work with outside recruiting firms that are dedicated to middle management, upper management, and ones that are only working on executive and C suite level.

I don't doubt this. However, the opinion I provided with was with MY experience with recruiters.

Looks like the OP is also on the entry level side.

• Like 1

Most recruiters are pretty useless. My job is technical and I just ask them to send the job spec over because I know they won't be able to judge from the conversation whether my skill level and the job match.

They are sales people indeed and make me laugh with the crap they talk :laugh:

Mind you, they are not as useless as HR. My god what is the point of those people

• Like 2

Recruiter here.....

Ehm....no that is not the way the job should be done :s

You have met an over eager recruiter unfortunately.

As a recruiter, yes we have to be commercially driven and sales minded, but we also have to build good relationship with our candidates. Not only with our customers. As BOTH are our customers in the end.

Not respecting your wishes by scheduling interviews while you withdraw? That is a recruiter on the loose :laugh: wth

Most recruiters are pretty useless. My job is technical and I just ask them to send the job spec over because I know they won't be able to judge from the conversation whether my skill level and the job match.

They are sales people indeed and make me laugh with the crap they talk :laugh:

Mind you, they are not as useless as HR. My god what is the point of those people

I don't think we're useless....

Recruiters are needed to check whether a person(ality) matches a company/position.

It is not useless, as we help people find the right place for them, and customers find the right candidates.

Wishes of both sides can be very detailed. Recruiters have to pay attention to all of that, and make it work. It is a pity that a lot of people think so negatively of it.

Indeed, when I have to fill technical positions, I leave it to the candidate to see if their technical knowledge matches. But it is up to me to measure if the person would match with the company culture, and if the candidate is serious about the job hunt. But I don't see that as a negative thing, if recruiters were to know as much about your job and the technical details as you do, they would be doing your job and not be a recruiter :)

• Like 1

A good recruiter is really worth their weight in gold. A good one will listen to you and discuss what YOU want and try to find that for you. What you describe are both bad recruiters and there are lots of those out there.

Recruiters really depend on the industry you work in and what level you are at. The higher the level, the less likely you are to find a job just by applying online or emailing your resume. Unless you have connections and know the right people, recruiters can be very helpful. Just beware of the ones that are just pushing you to go places you don't even like.

BTW, don't interview at a job you don't want. It's worse to leave a bad impression than to cancel immediately. Also, the company will be upset at the recruiter, not you.

• Like 3
Montgomery Burns
A good recruiter is really worth their weight in gold. A good one will listen to you and discuss what YOU want and try to find that for you. What you describe are both bad recruiters and there are lots of those out there.

Recruiters really depend on the industry you work in and what level you are at. The higher the level, the less likely you are to find a job just by applying online or emailing your resume. Unless you have connections and know the right people, recruiters can be very helpful. Just beware of the ones that are just pushing you to go places you don't even like.

BTW, don't interview at a job you don't want. It's worse to leave a bad impression than to cancel immediately. Also, the company will be upset at the recruiter, not you.

100% Agree! I always have recruiters agree to contact me at least once a week with a status update or my candidacy through them and right to represent is revoked. It has worked for me. Be cautious of the mass recruiters that will contact you for ANY job based on keywords.

• Like 1

And we also receive gifts...from happy customers and candidates..

Gotta love gifts.

I received a huge box of chocolates last week and today I received a flower arrangement from a happy candidate..

These things make us recruiters so happy...I seriously had tears in my eyes.

Being appreciated feels good. There's a huge human aspect in recruiting honestly.

Recruiters are people. Work integrity and ethic can vary from individual to individual at best and organization at worst.

I work in IT and have been courted by recruiters at least 3x a week for the past 2 decades. I've seen their methods change and evolve as technology evolves.

One negative trend I've seen is US reliance on off-shore recruiting firms particularly in SE Asia. No offense meant. My gripe is that they will contact me claiming that I'm some perfect fit for some random opening that I know good and well I have zero qualifications for. Sometimes I'll get the same canned email (on the same day) from 3 different recruiters from Pakistan/India asking for a copy of my resume and a date/time I can be reached. 95% I never hear from them again.

I've also had some US based recruiters who weren't technical at all but were trying to interview me for a technical role. I can only imagine the disservice they are giving to the clients who pay them to find talent.

10 or 15 years ago (here in the US) it was really common for recruiters (or the client) to send out formal rejection letters. Nowadays they just go cold on you when they aren't interested or just forgot about you. I guess we're supposed to just take the hint?

The best recruiters I've worked with have made an effort to study my online profile and skill set ahead of time before they make the first contact so they aren't wasting their time or mine. They're technically inclined, clearly understand the client's job requirements well and make quick arrangements for a direct client interview within 2-3 days after speaking with you. They know ahead of time the salary range, work hours, expected duties, benefits and training options and whether telecommuting is allowed. Last but not least they are respectful of my time, are flexible to work around my schedule and address me in a tone reminiscent of a friendly colleague which puts everyone at ease.

Happy career search!

It largely depends on the industry you are hoping to have a career in. Personally I am in the medical sales field so recruiters are typically the lifeline we can have to get our foot in the door. Now a days most companies will use the same recruiter or recruiting firm whenever they have an opening because that recruiter has been able to consistently bring in candidates who end up being stellar long term employers.

If you wanted to get into this industry, and didn't use a recruiter, you wouldn't have much of a chance.

Over my career I've gotten close with dozens of recruiters, not

Only in medical sales, but other industries as well... Software, info tech, futures, etc.

Once you prove that you're able to progress through the various stages of the interview process and close for the jobs they present to

You... Then you'll be set because they'll know to call you 1st of something bigger and better comes long. They get a percentage of the commission

A lot of companies use recruiters very heavily in my field and I have gotten several offers from them. But on the other end of the spectrum I've found many of them to be a waste of time. I have never gotten an offer from one I had met prior to going on an interview so I avoid those offers to meet generally. Others I know feel the same in my industry.

I agree with the premise they are basically sales people. They will often call you when they think you are a match for an open position and will ignore you if the position they are trying to fill doesn't work out.

I've found most in my area don't really know much about what they are recruiting for so make sure to go over what they send on your behalf to make sure you sound competent. I've also seen when they'll overlook someone who is a great candidate because of something stupid they don't understand so always speak in plain English and explain things like they are 5 year olds.

Now if they are calling and scheduling interviews when you've said you can't make it then that sounds like a particularly bad one. But if the company is trying to hire quickly then I can see why that person is trying to set it up.