Secretary opened bank statement

Uh oh. I just got a new secretary. I told her when I hired not to open bank statements or bills when they come in the mail. She opened the business account statement. I haven't seen her yet; she left for the day before I returned from meeting.

I am EXTREMELY uncomfortable that she now knows how much money is on the business checking account.

What do I do now? I really don't want to discuss it. If she mentions anything my inclination is to reprimand her for opening mail I specifically told her not to open.

There is a large balance in the account but that's because I have to pay the taxes. I don't want her to think I's rick. It's all just so awkward.

• Like 1
GorillaTheater

I'd at least verbally reprimand her whether she brings it up or not. I'd go to either termination or a written reprimand if she does it again, depending on how strongly you feel about it.

I get being in "letter opening" mode, but if you've already told her about this, she shouldn't get much slack from you.

• Like 3

You own a business. You gave specific instructions to not open anything related to finances - bills, statements. She did! You can not bury your head in the sand and pretend you didn't notice if you want her to respect you and your directives.

Maybe it was a mistake on her part, and if that was the case, she should have left you a note explaining that she had inadvertently opened a statement and as soon as she realized her mistake, she put it back. (I understand you were in a meeting so approaching you wasn't an option.) I think she owes you an apology.

Regardless, YOU need to address this head on and not wait for HER to bring it up. If you had put your hand in the cookie jar, would you admit it?

• Like 6

2 things - the word secretary is from the 1950's....she's either an office professional, an administrative assistant or a receptionist.

secondly, her job is to open the mail, right? If you don't want her opening bills, then have them sent to your home. Or electronic, as someone suggested.

Reprimand her? Really? For doing part of her job? Is the next 'request' going to be only answer phone calls that come from xyz area code? You either hired her to do a job because she is competent and professional or not. Her job is to handle the administrative duties, which includes opening the mail. Do you want to build trust with her? Do you want her to be able to perform her duties to the best of her ability? As any assistant can tell you, they run the office - they take care of all the details that others either can't do or don't want to do. I've had assistants. I have always treated them with the same respect and courtesy I would treat the CEO. Either you open all the mail or you trust her to open all the mail ..... she may very well have been multi tasking when it came time to open the mail and slit it open because it is part of her job. In the grand scheme of things, is this really something that you would fire someone over? If so, maybe it is best for her to find a new job because in my view, this is incredibly petty.

• Like 4

Ha, ha, I was thinking if opening financials is disallowed, not too much business mail to open!

A simple solution would be to remove any mail handling from her job.

The suggestion to move to electronic statements and invoices is IMO a great one. I did this a long time ago, as much as customers and vendors would allow it. Me, I'm cheap and saving on paper, checks, postage and envelopes may not seem like much but it adds up.

• Like 1

I work this tax season in a busy office. I'm instructed to open all the mail.

When I open the bank statements and financial info for the firm I don't even look at it. It's opened but I have no reason to look it over.

I'm mainly looking at the payments and documents I need to handle. Maybe she never looked at the info enclosed...?

• Author

I can't have my business mail sent to my home. Home is where personal mail goes.

She is a secretary. She's not a paraprofessional and she is not an administrative assistant. She is a secretary. That is the title I chose & the position I wanted filled. She didn't have to take the job. If you don't care for the title, don't work for me.

I have had secretaries for 25 years. I told all of them not to open financial documents from the bank or bills. She has been with me for 1 month. I told her not to open these documents. It's written in the instructions she was given. It's not a tough directive. She now has info I don't want her to have.

Whoever said I have to mention is right. I have to address this because this is my company and my rules. If I can't take a stand I have no business being an employer.

• Like 5
I can't have my business mail sent to my home. Home is where personal mail goes.

She is a secretary. She's not a paraprofessional and she is not an administrative assistant. She is a secretary. That is the title I chose & the position I wanted filled. She didn't have to take the job. If you don't care for the title, don't work for me.

I have had secretaries for 25 years. I told all of them not to open financial documents from the bank or bills. She has been with me for 1 month. I told her not to open these documents. It's written in the instructions she was given. It's not a tough directive. She now has info I don't want her to have.

Whoever said I have to mention is right. I have to address this because this is my company and my rules. If I can't take a stand I have no business being an employer.

Yep.

I'd be ticked off.

• Like 1
whichwayisup

Allow her to explain herself. It could have just been an honest mistake and she may not have actually 'read' it.

Maybe change things completely and say she is to open NO mail. this way it won't happen again.

Mix ups happen and mistakes are made but I highly doubt she did it on purpose or with malicious intentions.

loveweary11

I've managed people for a while now. About 16 years.

In this case, I would not confront immediately.

I'd wait to see if she mentions it, which she might in the morning.

Then, I'd point it out as you go through your mail, asking her about it if it's not mentioned.

I mean, if she wanted to know your finances, she could have steamed the thing open, the resealed it. I'm sure she gives zero f's about you account, so long as you make payroll.

Odds are it was a simple mistake. See what comes of it. Don't play your hand immediately. See what hand she plays first.

Also, a great test of her honesty/loyalty here.

• Like 1
losangelena

Back when I used to work for a financial manager, part of my job was to track his payroll in a giant spreadsheet. I saw EVERY NUMBER, but really the amounts didn't mean anything to me. He made a lot of money, OK. But in a professional context, I didn't take much stock in it. I dunno, the figures came and went and I carried on.

• Like 3
nittygritty

Get her to sign the written instructions you gave her and also have her sign an attached counseling form that explains again that she is not to open financial documents from the bank or bills. Write the date that she broke the rule and the date that you counseled her with the written warning that if it happens again her employment will be terminated. If she refuses to sign then write that she refused to sign it. If she quits good riddance. Most people know what a bank statement looks like and accident or not she violated a company policy.

I would be worried that she did it intentionally. Either just to be nosy or possibly something more sinister. She is a new employee and you don't really know her.

Have the statements held at the bank of you need it to be that much of a secret. Then go by once a month and pick them up.

It's obviously the first statements that arrived since she started working. It could be an honest error.

Your error is knowing they land in front of her...if you don't expect her to see it then have it held at the bank.

bathtub-row

Either she's incompetent or doesn't know what you mean by financial documents. I'd explain it to her again. If she does it again, then let her go. However, I wouldn't be overly concerned about what she may or may not have seen. It's your company, so it's your business, not hers.

• Like 1

Don just talk to her.

I have done this by accident before.

I usually just get all the mail so its easy to open open then go through. Because that is what secretary's do.

Just remind her that financial statements etc are not to be opened.

I did it by accident a few times after as well but instead would leave the mail in the envelope and just write on so they knew it had been opened but unread.

Different people do things differently.

My bosses do not even know how to log onto their company account and I often see their personal stuff and go and sort personal stuff out for them. Do I bleat about it? No because I am professional and know where they put their money etc (I am normally the one putting it there and trying to give them more!).

So yeah. Talk to her. Find out why she opened it. It may be a silly accident. Put in place ways to prevent it happening then move on.

• Like 1
Back when I used to work for a financial manager, part of my job was to track his payroll in a giant spreadsheet. I saw EVERY NUMBER, but really the amounts didn't mean anything to me. He made a lot of money, OK. But in a professional context, I didn't take much stock in it. I dunno, the figures came and went and I carried on.

Agree. I get to peer into people's (sometimes deeply personal) financial situ's on an almost daily basis and it means absolutely nothing to me.

As the business owner it's obvs your call tho d0, and if it's a matter of offended sensibilities you're entitled to address that. I'd just be wary of allowing sensibilities to play a part in business at all. (But I'm not a business owner so what do I know. ;))

dreamingoftigers
I'd at least verbally reprimand her whether she brings it up or not. I'd go to either termination or a written reprimand if she does it again, depending on how strongly you feel about it.

I get being in "letter opening" mode, but if you've already told her about this, she shouldn't get much slack from you.

I say remind her.

We've all screwed up a time or two at work.

If it repeats that's when shyte gets real.

Most people understand that whatever is in a business account isn't your personal "buffet fund." I know what's in my boss' business account and it has actually no bearing on my work or perception of him.

I know that we work in a marketing-heavy business etc. But I also do some of his books.

However I do have one tip from my experience at work: if you are hiding an extra-marital affair, try not to habd over your credit card statements to your assistant without checking them first. Especially when adult friend finder has given up on discreet billing. And you are charging rooms etc to you and some other woman's name while your wife is in the hospital. Especially when your assistant knows your wife for years and has to see her everyday. Not a great idea.

• Like 1
  • Author
However I do have one tip from my experience at work: if you are hiding an extra-marital affair, try not to habd over your credit card statements to your assistant without checking them first. Especially when adult friend finder has given up on discreet billing. And you are charging rooms etc to you and some other woman's name while your wife is in the hospital. Especially when your assistant knows your wife for years and has to see her everyday. Not a great idea.

My assistant knows my husband. I am not hiding anything. I simply don't want my assistant to know how much money is in the business account. My husband is free to look at the books any time he likes.

dreamingoftigers
My assistant knows my husband. I am not hiding anything. I simply don't want my assistant to know how much money is in the business account. My husband is free to look at the books any time he likes.

I only said that because that's the situation at my work, i am NOT suggesting that you are engaging in unethical or disloyal behaviour. The situation at my job is why I won't be returning after maternity leave. I don't like being made an unwilling party to that shyte (as well as other things that have been left on and open on the computers that confirm activities). As well, my employer is brethren from my church congregation. So..... Not good. Really want to distance myself from that.

So many people never realize how many people are connected to their choices.

Now that your assistant theoretically knows the balance of your business account, will this colour your treatment toward her?

Or do you think you can get past it?

Have you seen any evidence of it colouring her work or attitude towards you?

I know an extreme amount of detail about my employer's personal and business spending habits. It only reassures me that surely he can afford to pay me, and he would be less likely to be "fly-by-night." My last employer did not pay me and many of the other staff employed at the time.

Then she had the nerve to issue me a T4 (I think it's the equivalent of a W2 for Americans). Now she can sit back and enjoy the Revenue Canada Audit. Fraudulent creature that she is.

Is it easy to tell in the US whether the mail is from a financial institution even if you are not familiar with said institution? 100% identifiable? It isn't in the UK.

Carhill is right, open your own mail, this is what I have seen people do.

If you reprimanded me when there was no 100% certainty that I could have avoided the mistake, I'd set an employment solicitor on your ass. I know a really good one.

Is it easy to tell in the US whether the mail is from a financial institution even if you are not familiar with said institution? 100% identifiable? It isn't in the UK.

Carhill is right, open your own mail, this is what I have seen people do.

If you reprimanded me when there was no 100% certainty that I could have avoided the mistake, I'd set an employment solicitor on your ass. I know a really good one.

Okay while I don't agree with the OP, why on earth would you seek legal action just because you are reprimanded? That doesn't make any sense and you will be laughed out the office ESPECIALLY if they are a good one.

Donnivan - Yes, the employee did something she was instructed not to do. Following constructive discipline, which I think this falls under, you verbal reprimand and reiterate. There is no trend at this time and at this point was a one off mistake. If it becomes a pattern, then you take a more serious position.

But if seeing this information is that big a deal, which as a company I am a little baffled about and assume this is really a two/three person show, just have it sent to your home address. The company I work for, a global one that has over 8K employees and over 60K total with franchises included, started as a mom and pop and still have things sent to their home address. If not, set it up electronically.

I also don't understand, if you have managed people for 25 years why you are waffling on communicating. Don't conflict avoid, that is poor management. Address in a calm manner, seek first to understand then be understood, and move things forward. You seem to be more comfortable with stewing on it and that isn't the best course of action.

My normal mode of managing, unless we are dealing with a major policy violation/ethical concern - verbal address, verbally address with email recap, written notice, PIP if necessary and then termination.

• Like 6