My supervisor said, "I'll see what I can do on my end" for an internal postion.

So, in the past few weeks, our managers/supervisors told everyone that all the departments are overstaffed-but they keep "reassuring" us that no one is getting fired/laid off. Whatever. Anyway, recently, they told us that there are quite a few job openings in other areas, either out of state or through teleworking. They encourage us to apply if we are interested-they started offering interviewing tips, resume tips, how to search jobs internally and they told us several times that if we are wanted to apply-that we should let our supervisors know first-before actually applying internally-just so it could "speed" up the process of getting interviewed. Well, there was a position that I was interested in and I let my supervisor know-and he just simply replied, "I'll see what I can do on my end." I'm like wtf is that suppose to mean??? What the heck was all the talk about if we let them know first, we will get an interview, now I hear this line coming out? Its been a week since I applied, no interview, no mention of anything from my supervisor-or mention of anything that I applied for. Liars much?

You mentioned in a previous post that you're getting passed over for promotions and other internal moves. I suggested that you talk to your boss and ask how you could improve so as to be considered for those jobs.

What have you done to make yourself stand out from the rest of the pack so as to be considered?

• Like 1
  • Author
You mentioned in a previous post that you're getting passed over for promotions and other internal moves. I suggested that you talk to your boss and ask how you could improve so as to be considered for those jobs.

What have you done to make yourself stand out from the rest of the pack so as to be considered?

No, this is different-and I'm not talking about the other post, I'm talking about actually "applying" for internal positions and getting an interview-from a different department-much like applying for a job all over again. Where they are actually posting it up on their website and telling us about it. We are overstaffed-meaning possible "lay offs" in the future and they are encouraging us to apply either out of state or a work from home type job-not a promotion.

I realise it's a different job, but it still sounds like you're being passed over. Hence my question about how you are trying to make yourself stand out from the rest of the pack.

• Like 2
I realise it's a different job, but it still sounds like you're being passed over. Hence my question about how you are trying to make yourself stand out from the rest of the pack.

Um, yea. A boss isn't going to 'send you off' to another department if it'll look bad on him. He's more likely to let the inevitable layoff occur.

'See what he can do'. I think he's done it.

• Author
Um, yea. A boss isn't going to 'send you off' to another department if it'll look bad on him. He's more likely to let the inevitable layoff occur.

'See what he can do'. I think he's done it.

I'm not talking about him just handling me a job, I'm talking about getting an interview, that's it. Are saying all the supervisors are lying to us about them wanting us to get another job within the company and getting interviewed? Then why the heck are they telling us to let then know first before applying so that they could "speed" up the process of getting an interview? Are they liars?

I'm not talking about him just handling me a job, I'm talking about getting an interview, that's it. Are saying all the supervisors are lying to us about them wanting us to get another job within the company and getting interviewed? Then why the heck are they telling us to let then know first before applying so that they could "speed" up the process of getting an interview? Are they liars?

I'm saying that they may be encouraging you to come to them first, so they can either recommend you for a position, or suggest that the other department take a pass.

They're speeding up the process, yes. Of either moving people within the company, or moving them out. If they can't keep everyone, that's the way it has to be.

Standard-Fare

Question: How did you let your boss know you applied? Email? If so, I think that's worth a followup talk in person, letting him know you're seriously interested in this position and you want all the help you can get pursuing it.

You probably also want to look around to see who else besides your boss might be able to help you get a leg up here. Send out emails or speak in person with anyone who might be relevant.

And another thought: Is it possible your boss is kind of blasé about this because he's not psyched about the idea of losing an employee in his own department? Especially if your absence would intensify his own workload or create any other negative issues.

Even with the threat of pending layoffs, your boss may be thinking narrowly of his own interests and which employees he's like to keep on board.

Not sure how it would go over at your company but when I've transferred internally I have gone through the other hiring manager; not my boss. Once it was agreed it would be a good fit we approached my boss to work out the transfer. FWIW I've done this 4 times between 2 different companies. I got 3 out of 4 of the transfers. For the the one I didn't get I left the company as I didn't want to stay in my current department.

Edited by Miss Peach
  • Like 1

They were addressing the group, not individuals.

It sounds like he doesn't want to recommend you for an interview. He may have a different response to someone else, and do exactly as he said (get the interview).

• Like 1
  • Author
They were addressing the group, not individuals.

It sounds like he doesn't want to recommend you for an interview. He may have a different response to someone else, and do exactly as he said (get the interview).

That's what I thought so too. That's just pretty ****ty. I mean why even have a meeting and send open positions emails to the entire department. I think pretty much know they are lying and eventually lay off people and just wants to look good pretending that they care.

That's what I thought so too. That's just pretty ****ty. I mean why even have a meeting and send open positions emails to the entire department. I think pretty much know they are lying and eventually lay off people and just wants to look good pretending that they care.

Legally, they may be required to send open positions to the entire dept. That doesn't mean they'd actually recommend every member of the dept.

• Like 2

They aren't going to call in a whole department minus a couple of under performers for individual interviews. And you are still able to submit an application for another role.

My question remains: what are you doing to make yourself look more desirable for selection over your other workmates? There's no sense complaining if you're not going to be proactive about fixing the issue.

• Like 1

Trust me, they don't even care about looking good. It's cold, hard business.

And they aren't technically lying. 'I'll see what I can do' can mean he thought about it, and opted not to refer you. You've admitted to a lot of problems with your job, wondering why you can't get ahead. Being a team player goes a long way. Deliberately calling in on team meeting/lunch day? Come on, Bobbi. You were told then to think about the ramifications.

• Author
They aren't going to call in a whole department minus a couple of under performers for individual interviews. And you are still able to submit an application for another role.

My question remains: what are you doing to make yourself look more desirable for selection over your other workmates? There's no sense complaining if you're not going to be proactive about fixing the issue.

Well, they met with everyone individually and they specifically ask if I was interested in applying and told them yes and to them then know first so they can get me interviewed.

Trust me, they don't even care about looking good. It's cold, hard business.

And they aren't technically lying. 'I'll see what I can do' can mean he thought about it, and opted not to refer you. You've admitted to a lot of problems with your job, wondering why you can't get ahead. Being a team player goes a long way. Deliberately calling in on team meeting/lunch day? Come on, Bobbi. You were told then to think about the ramifications.

While I do agree with this and I haven't read the OP's backstory, I've found most corporations operate very much on personality; not always on work performance. People tend to promote who they like; not always who the best people are. In fact good people are often deemed as threats and I've seen people go through efforts to get those people into trouble, get the fired, etc.

To provide some examples, in a previous company, there was a woman there with similar skills to me, 5 years more experience, and a more advanced degree. She also had experience in something the company needed that we were missing in the rest of the department. She rubbed her boss the wrong way so he had other managers say she was bad at her job and got her in trouble. I had people attempt to do that to me who were threatened by me. I've seen really good, knowledgeable people fired because someone felt threatened by them.I also saw people promoted because their boss liked them even though there had some of the weakest work and work ethic in the department.

If you have a boss who isn't happy with you it doesn't mean another boss will think the same. Who knows why your boss won't recommend you - they may not want to lose you, might not think you're good, they don't like you so they won't help you, they might want to force you out of the company, etc. It doesn't mean your boss is the only channel to those other jobs.

• Author
While I do agree with this and I haven't read the OP's backstory, I've found most corporations operate very much on personality; not always on work performance. People tend to promote who they like; not always who the best people are. In fact good people are often deemed as threats and I've seen people go through efforts to get those people into trouble, get the fired, etc.

To provide some examples, in a previous company, there was a woman there with similar skills to me, 5 years more experience, and a more advanced degree. She also had experience in something the company needed that we were missing in the rest of the department. She rubbed her boss the wrong way so he had other managers say she was bad at her job and got her in trouble. I had people attempt to do that to me who were threatened by me. I've seen really good, knowledgeable people fired because someone felt threatened by them.I also saw people promoted because their boss liked them even though there had some of the weakest work and work ethic in the department.

If you have a boss who isn't happy with you it doesn't mean another boss will think the same. Who knows why your boss won't recommend you - they may not want to lose you, might not think you're good, they don't like you so they won't help you, they might want to force you out of the company, etc. It doesn't mean your boss is the only channel to those other jobs.

Yeah, they promote the people they like and toss other people aside. Which I think is unfair. Why am I even going to do a good job then? For example, there's this guy who's a new hire-well, he's been there for like 7 months or so. He's very outgoing and last month they were just taking volunteers to help out another department. Since the new guy sits right by me, I overhead him talk to another that the supervisor had a private meeting and "encouraged" him to volunteer, because of his "exceptional" social skills. So he sent an email that he was interested and the upper managers decided not to pick him. Just a few days ago, he was chosen to help out another department and now he's helping them out and doing a different role. He makes more mistakes than I do, I know this, because he voluntarily shown me his error reports, a few times he's bitched about the job, he's constantly facebooking all the time. I don't even care anymore. I'm just waiting for the lay-off. And like him, I decided to facebook all day and be on this forum while at work.

Regarding the personality aspects of hiring, it's fairly common to look for someone who will fit in well with the existing team.

• Like 2
I don't even care anymore. I'm just waiting for the lay-off. And like him, I decided to facebook all day and be on this forum while at work.

It sounds like a good time to make sure your resume is updated, and have your references lined up. :)

Yeah, they promote the people they like and toss other people aside. Which I think is unfair. Why am I even going to do a good job then? For example, there's this guy who's a new hire-well, he's been there for like 7 months or so. He's very outgoing and last month they were just taking volunteers to help out another department. Since the new guy sits right by me, I overhead him talk to another that the supervisor had a private meeting and "encouraged" him to volunteer, because of his "exceptional" social skills. So he sent an email that he was interested and the upper managers decided not to pick him. Just a few days ago, he was chosen to help out another department and now he's helping them out and doing a different role. He makes more mistakes than I do, I know this, because he voluntarily shown me his error reports, a few times he's bitched about the job, he's constantly facebooking all the time. I don't even care anymore. I'm just waiting for the lay-off. And like him, I decided to facebook all day and be on this forum while at work.

Why let this person (your boss) get in your way? If you otherwise like the company try to get a transfer. Talk to the other hiring manager. Update your resume and show it to that person. Consider sending it to some other companies.

The thing is just because one person at a company doesn't like you it doesn't mean someone else won't. The other manager might think you're awesome. I've had bosses think I'm the strongest person they've worked with. I've had other bosses hate me and try to get me into trouble.

This flies in the face of a lot of conventional advice but the way to get up the ladder is to go a good job and have people around you (especially above you) who like you. Many of the people I found who were actually exceptional didn't get very far because they were written off by their managers as too threatening. One guy I know who was amazing got passed over for a promised promotion and turned down for transfer by 2 other managers for mediocre employees.

If you stay where you're at (or move on) figure out what's really rewarded in your company culture. Is it long hours? Is it shutting up and doing what you're told? Is it saving the day? If you are doing the wrong thing it will never allow you to get ahead. If it's not something you can or want to do you need to change companies.

Rejected Rosebud

He makes more mistakes than I do, I know this, because he voluntarily shown me his error reports, a few times he's bitched about the job, he's constantly facebooking all the time. I don't even care anymore. I'm just waiting for the lay-off. And like him, I decided to facebook all day and be on this forum while at work.

It's not helping you to be concerned about other peoples' performance and especially not lowering your own standards of work to match theirs!

If you are probably getting laid off, I hope you are proactively looking for another job. And do your best at this one. Maybe you won't get laid off. In any case do you want a terrible reference?

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Author

Well, I had my one on one meeting yesterday-and which is also a meeting to go over last months report on my stats. He didn't mention anything about the position that I applied for-and it looks like no interview was even in the works. Instead he asked of I wanted to do a different task-to help out a different department-and that I would get training. I don't believe any of the lies that come out of their mouths. It's disgusting.

Well, I had my one on one meeting yesterday-and which is also a meeting to go over last months report on my stats. He didn't mention anything about the position that I applied for-and it looks like no interview was even in the works. Instead he asked of I wanted to do a different task-to help out a different department-and that I would get training. I don't believe any of the lies that come out of their mouths. It's disgusting.

Why not accept the offer rather than assuming they're lying? How could more training in any area hurt?

Does your attitude at work come across the way it does here?

• Like 2
  • Author
Why not accept the offer rather than assuming they're lying? How could more training in any area hurt?

Does your attitude at work come across the way it does here?

I did agree to help out the other department and get training, but having been there for awhile, I don't trust them at all. I've seen it all.