Skipped work & boss acting weird over it

Um...ok, so I work in finance as a jr consultant & I've been at the same comp for almost 2 yrs now & still don't have a schedule, the boss just tells me & a few others to just come to work.

There's other people in the comp with a set schedule & others w/o one & me...um, I'm one of those w/o one right so yea, I decided to skip work today 'cause I've been doing a ton of overtime last week & I wanted a small break so I text my boss & told him I'm taking today off & i'll be in tomorrow & he texts back saying 'huh? what are u talking about?' & it makes no sense to even say that when before I took a day off w/o saying it he told me the next day to let him know when I decide to take a day off & as soon as I do that he acts weird about it?

Why? Its really really dumb u know & now he's calling & leaving texts on my phone saying 'I better be in tomorrow & we need to have a talk in my office'

I hate this & it makes me feel like not going in & I know I gotta but I feel funny now :( & its stupid 'cause 2 other workers take a day whenever they want & sometimes even a week w/o saying a word & this boss says nothing but when I wanna miss a day he always got things to say about it & its annoying me.

Does it seem like I'm being picked on 'cause it feels like it :(.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
paragraphs ~6
  • Like 1
TaraMaiden2

[]

f your Boss is peeved, I can understand it. I think it's OK to take a day off if you give him adequate notice.

Nobody likes to be told on the day, that their employee isn't bothering to come in because they feel entitled to a day off.

Always pre-arrange time off, and give adequate notice.

I suspect this is why your boss is annoyed.

Don't compare what you do to what others have done. They might have given adequate notice, and if not, may also have got into trouble over it....

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
redacted commentary on posting style ~6
  • Like 3
TheFinalWord
Um...ok, so I work in finance as a jr consultant & I've been at the same comp for almost 2 yrs now & still don't have a schedule, the boss just tells me & a few others to just come to work. There's other people in the comp with a set schedule & others w/o one & me...um, I'm one of those w/o one right so yea, I decided to skip work today 'cause I've been doing a ton of overtime last week & I wanted a small break so I text my boss & told him I'm taking today off & i'll be in tomorrow & he texts back saying 'huh? what are u talking about?' & it makes no sense to even say that when before I took a day off w/o saying it he told me the next day to let him know when I decide to take a day off & as soon as I do that he acts weird about it? Why? Its really really dumb u know & now he's calling & leaving texts on my phone saying 'I better be in tomorrow & we need to have a talk in my office' I hate this & it makes me feel like not going in & I know I gotta but I feel funny now :( & its stupid 'cause 2 other workers take a day whenever they want & sometimes even a week w/o saying a word & this boss says nothing but when I wanna miss a day he always got things to say about it & its annoying me. Does it seem like I'm being picked on 'cause it feels like it :(.

You don't seem to care much about the job, so why not just tell him what you told us. You feel you are treated unfairly. What's the worst that can happen? You get fired? Maybe he will create a more standardized protocol. If this is your first time getting in trouble, you can probably plead ignorance. But you've been there two years, so that probably won't work.

Personally, after two years, if you are not happy and not advancing you should start looking for another job. Either that or tell your boss you are interested in learning how to move up in the company. I don't know much about your company, but it sounds like he does not see you as that valuable of an employee (two years with no schedule...seems like a dead end job).

• Like 1
Um...ok, so I work in finance as a jr consultant & I've been at the same comp for almost 2 yrs now & still don't have a schedule, the boss just tells me & a few others to just come to work. There's other people in the comp with a set schedule & others w/o one & me...um, I'm one of those w/o one right so yea, I decided to skip work today 'cause I've been doing a ton of overtime last week & I wanted a small break so I text my boss & told him I'm taking today off & i'll be in tomorrow & he texts back saying 'huh? what are u talking about?' & it makes no sense to even say that when before I took a day off w/o saying it he told me the next day to let him know when I decide to take a day off & as soon as I do that he acts weird about it? Why? Its really really dumb u know & now he's calling & leaving texts on my phone saying 'I better be in tomorrow & we need to have a talk in my office' I hate this & it makes me feel like not going in & I know I gotta but I feel funny now :( & its stupid 'cause 2 other workers take a day whenever they want & sometimes even a week w/o saying a word & this boss says nothing but when I wanna miss a day he always got things to say about it & its annoying me. Does it seem like I'm being picked on 'cause it feels like it :(.

Most employer swant 24 hours notice if you will not be at work or available to come into work. The only pass on 24 hours is if it's an emergency, like you got in an accident on the way to work that morning or something like that.

Also, as Tara 2 said, don't compare your relationship with your boss to other colleague's. You only see one side of their relationships, and those relationships have nothing to do with you.

When you talk to your boss tomorrow, explain that you had worked a lot of overtime the week before, and state that since you have never been given a set schedule you were unclear on how much advance notice you need to give if you are requesting time off.

Ask him what the procedure is for requesting time off when you don't have a set schedule and follow that procedure t he next time you want to take some time off.

• Like 2
GunslingerRoland

I'm a little confused by the situation, how last minute do you find out if you get to work everyday? Do you get paid salary?

I'd consider it unacceptable to be on call year after year, day after day.

That said, it doesn't make asking for a day off at the very last minute any better, especially since there was no valid reason for it and no warning.

• Like 1
  • Author
Most employer swant 24 hours notice if you will not be at work or available to come into work. The only pass on 24 hours is if it's an emergency, like you got in an accident on the way to work that morning or something like that.

Also, as Tara 2 said, don't compare your relationship with your boss to other colleague's. You only see one side of their relationships, and those relationships have nothing to do with you.

When you talk to your boss tomorrow, explain that you had worked a lot of overtime the week before, and state that since you have never been given a set schedule you were unclear on how much advance notice you need to give if you are requesting time off.

Ask him what the procedure is for requesting time off when you don't have a set schedule and follow that procedure t he next time you want to take some time off.

I do this all the time & he always says I'll let u know & never does. I hate having to run all the time to him to ask a day off so I wanna take it when I feel up to it & I did tell him & w/o a set schedule & I cant just keep coming in every day u know. I could work 20 days in a row & he won't say anything its stupid.

• Like 1
I do this all the time & he always says I'll let u know & never does. I hate having to run all the time to him to ask a day off so I wanna take it when I feel up to it & I did tell him & w/o a set schedule & I cant just keep coming in every day u know. I could work 20 days in a row & he won't say anything its stupid.

Ah.

Well as long as he's your boss you have to ask him, there's no getting around that. His lack of response when you do put in a request could be grounds for a discrimination complaint.

I'd send him a long email. Explain your concern, include dates for the last incidences where you requested time off and he didn't respond. Propose a meeting or ask for instructions on how to submit time off requests and get approval or denials in a timely manner.

If he pulls this again moving forward you have a paper trail showing the pattern of behavior here and may need to take it to his manager or HR.

• Like 1

Hey Kat, I remember when you got this job, so congrats on keeping it!

If I recall, they work you ridiculous amounts of overtime.

Use this incident as an opportunity to pin your boss down to some type of schedule. Or at least a better understanding of what he expects when you want a day off.

Your employer is taking advantage of your good nature. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Author
Hey Kat, I remember when you got this job, so congrats on keeping it!

If I recall, they work you ridiculous amounts of overtime.

Use this incident as an opportunity to pin your boss down to some type of schedule. Or at least a better understanding of what he expects when you want a day off.

Your employer is taking advantage of your good nature. Good luck!

Thank u & yes he is taking advantage 'cause I hate to argue & do my best so he likes to just overwork me alot u know. I called one of the guys from work & he agrees since uh, he just takes days off whenever he wants & says the boss says nothing unless he goes overboard & I never do u know just need breaks sometimes.

• Like 2
Thank u & yes he is taking advantage 'cause I hate to argue & do my best so he likes to just overwork me alot u know. I called one of the guys from work & he agrees since uh, he just takes days off whenever he wants & says the boss says nothing unless he goes overboard & I never do u know just need breaks sometimes.

Take this as an opportunity to show your boss you're a mature employee. Either by email or in person bring up the issue. Mention that you couldn't help but feel uneasy about taking the day off the other day even though you had worked overtime last week and were under the impression that a day off was expected to be taken based off your prior communication with your boss and the other employees around you. Make sure you say that you pride yourself on the hard work you put in and want your reputation amongst your managers to remain high, for that matter you're asking that you either be given a set schedule in which you can count on weekly... OR suggest that your vacation/time off requests will be sent in ahead of time with at least 48hrs notice.

If you approach the situation instead of waiting for your boss to say something then it will reflect well upon you and might even benefit you going forward.

• Like 3
take this as an opportunity to show your boss you're a mature employee. Either by email or in person bring up the issue. Mention that you couldn't help but feel uneasy about taking the day off the other day even though you had worked overtime last week and were under the impression that a day off was expected to be taken based off your prior communication with your boss and the other employees around you. Make sure you say that you pride yourself on the hard work you put in and want your reputation amongst your managers to remain high, for that matter you're asking that you either be given a set schedule in which you can count on weekly... Or suggest that your vacation/time off requests will be sent in ahead of time with at least 48hrs notice.

If you approach the situation instead of waiting for your boss to say something then it will reflect well upon you and might even benefit you going forward.

^^^ this ^^^

whichwayisup

You're not acting professional, you are being paid for a junior position, it's not a free volunteer thing when you can come and go as you please. People rely on you and you can't just call the boss and casually say you're taking today off.

Do you want a career in this field? Maybe at that Company? If so, be serious about it and consider asking for a day off and discussing it with your boss instead of demanding/telling him and being so aloof about it. I think that is what's mad your boss angry and why he's going to talk to you at work tomorrow.

• Author
You're not acting professional, you are being paid for a junior position, it's not a free volunteer thing when you can come and go as you please. People rely on you and you can't just call the boss and casually say you're taking today off.

Do you want a career in this field? Maybe at that Company? If so, be serious about it and consider asking for a day off and discussing it with your boss instead of demanding/telling him and being so aloof about it. I think that is what's mad your boss angry and why he's going to talk to you at work tomorrow.

Well, um...we had the little talk and he complimented me for having balls & said Mondays can be my normal days off & not to worry about what others do even though its hard not to.

• Like 1
Well, um...we had the little talk and he complimented me for having balls.

I knew it! I knew you had them, Kat!

Congrats!

• Like 1