I've been at my job for a few years now. Its an entry level data entry job-keying orders. Anyway, in the past few months I noticed that the supervisors are choosing certain people to do a task-such as helping out in a different department-none of them volunteered for it-they do training for a few days in that new task-department..so its not like they go into it already knowing about it. First off, they ask everyone-if they are content with the job that they are doing and if they want to do something different they should let them know-and its the same line of work they tell everyone, but what I'm seeing is that when they choose people that are doing that certain job-the supervisors never announce that line of work or even send out emails for volunteers. I'm like what gives? And it can't be because they know more than the other-nobody has a college degree - and everyone gets training firsthand, and the never choose me. And these are the people that do the same work that I do and don't volunteer either, so how is it that the supervisors are choosing them over me?

I've seen this happen before. It came down to the personal attributes of the employee.

Perhaps you could talk to your boss and ask if there is anything you could improve so that you'd be considered for the new roles.

• Like 6
  • Author
I've seen this happen before. It came down to the personal attributes of the employee.

Perhaps you could talk to your boss and ask if there is anything you could improve so that you'd be considered for the new roles.

By personal attributes, do you mean they pick them because they like their personality alot more? Like if they are funny, outgoing, personable?

By personal attributes, do you mean they pick them because they like their personality alot more? Like if they are funny, outgoing, personable?

No, more likely attitude to work, coworkers and clients. Also degree of professionalism.

• Like 2

For example, when I worked in a school there was also an after-care. One of the teacher's aides wondered why the after-care didn't ever offer him extra work but frequently offered it to the other aides.

The reason was this guy's attitude to work and kids. He still had a lot to learn about speaking about kids who had behavioural issues respectfully, he didn't look for things to do when things were quiet, he wasn't proactive about getting himself further training, he took far more sick days than anybody else. His negative attitude was also an issue for those within earshot of him. Of course, he thought he was doing a great job - but from the outside looking in, it was a different story.

WaitingForBardot

Only if those skills were critical to the job at hand.

I used to choose members of my group for tasks and my choice was based solely on who was most likely to successfully complete the tasks. At the end of the day my job was to get these tasks done, so I chose accordingly.

Interesting aside, the people that were chosen were often as annoyed at being selected as those that were not chosen were for not being selected. Go figure...

GunslingerRoland

Could be favoritism, but the reality is that most people do try to promote the people they think will do well in the job. You need to find a way to stand out in a positive way a bit more, which is probably difficult in a job like yours.

The problem can be sometimes with that sort of work, if you're really good at it, they don't want to promote you either because you are too efficient to lose.

Our business runs opposite. They draft you knowing You will gain alot more from doing something that is out of your comfort zone.

The reality of most management is to see who rises to the occassion.

I stopped volunteering or being drafted... because getting tossed to the side after diligent efforts.. it comes down to ... how high the skirt rises or how chapped the lips are from kissing the lower anatomy.

Have yet to see objective promotions based on skills and attitude. Unless its the skills noted in the 2nd paragraph.

Its often in someones favor...

• Author

Its the first time I've been tossed aside. A few years ago, we were getting a new system and everyone was going to be training for it. At the time, the leads/supervisors decided to choose me and like 2 other people to work it. A few months go in, and my leads would always choose me to work the new system-also because they had high volumes of work. Sometimes they would call my friend (co-worker) to work the new system and she did it like once a month. Later I found out they were picking subject expert matters aka trainers to help the other people if they had any questions. The trainers who were training and the higher up managers decided to choose HER to be a subject expert matter and she only worked the new system once a month. I'm like wtf? I worked the system every single day and had the most experience doing it. I mean, if my leads didn't think I was good, they probably wouldn't have called me in to do it, and I was always willing to insist them, instead they didn't even bother considering me to be a helper. Favoritism? And this was the decision of the higher ups, the trainers. Such bull****? Thoughts on this?

introverted1
Its the first time I've been tossed aside. A few years ago, we were getting a new system and everyone was going to be training for it. At the time, the leads/supervisors decided to choose me and like 2 other people to work it. A few months go in, and my leads would always choose me to work the new system-also because they had high volumes of work. Sometimes they would call my friend (co-worker) to work the new system and she did it like once a month. Later I found out they were picking subject expert matters aka trainers to help the other people if they had any questions. The trainers who were training and the higher up managers decided to choose HER to be a subject expert matter and she only worked the new system once a month. I'm like wtf? I worked the system every single day and had the most experience doing it. I mean, if my leads didn't think I was good, they probably wouldn't have called me in to do it, and I was always willing to insist them, instead they didn't even bother considering me to be a helper. Favoritism? And this was the decision of the higher ups, the trainers. Such bull****? Thoughts on this?

Not sure why you assume favoritism.

The managers would pick the person they thought would do the best job, which is not necessarily the person with the most experience with the system. When training others, you need skills beyond being the subject matter expert -- effective communication, positive attitude, ability to work well with others, cooperation, patience, etc.

What have your performance reviews been like? Do you discuss with your supervisor your desire to have expanded job responsibilities and the steps you need to take to make this a reality? What does your supervisor suggest as next steps for you?

• 2 weeks later...
Lifeissomething

Not trying to be rude, but you value the extent a person has worked at something/somewhere over the proficiency/capabilities of someone doing that work. This is poor judgement, as experience can correlate to abilities, but not always. Chances are they're being chosen because they're better fit for the opportunity. Heck, sorry if this hurts your feelings but they're probably better than you for the position. Experience doesn't equate proficiency, although it doesn't hurt.

Is this a bad thing? Only if you're going to get insecure/defensive about it. Otherwise if you want be in this group of people, perhaps someone could help give you some constructive guidance or help fine-tine your skills to better prepare yourself? If you want the prize and are willing to work for it, asking for some help along the way is no reflection of failure on your behalf. People ask for help all the time. More people should stop thinking they're rockstars and ask for help. You could also further emphasize that given your history with the company you feel like you're ready for the next step, to grow, etc....

If this isn't the case and you're just upset because you think it's favourtism, I don't think anyone here can say anything to sway you. But, I don't think it is favourtism.