Do withdrawn classes on a college transcript look bad in the hiring process?

So...I applied for this job and I guess the "basic" qualifications for the job was an associates degree or equivalent work experience. On my resume, I put that my AA degree was "in progress" meaning that I'm still working on it. Earlier, I withdrew from 3 classes and it shows, that I withdrew on my transcript. I don't get it. Okay, I don't have the equivalent work experience for the position and I put that I'm still working on my AA, plus I have like more than 5 years of experience working at a company, but I don't get why they didn't consider me? Or maybe they just didn't like me?

That depends.. some might call you on it and ask.

If they see you do it a lot, then that probably might be why.

I'm sure there is slight concern, but most would ask you at the interview as to why you withdrew.

In terms of why you weren't considered.... get used to it. This is going to happen a lot. Many times you just won't know, so don't take it to harshly.

Move on to the next job interview/application.

Standard-Fare

The majority of jobs don't even look at transcripts.

When you're in college or right out of it, SOME jobs might request transcripts. Those are mostly jobs or internships geared specifically toward a student of that level, where the measure of academics is more meaningful than the (probable lack of) real-world experience. Even with those, it's more likely that they'd be looking for cumulative GPA and confirmation of a degree, or a degree in progress.

I'm not sure what types of jobs you're applying for, or where you're located (in case the standards in your country are different from the U.S.), but I'm guessing the course withdrawals are not the issue here.

Consider that if an employer asks for "an associate's degree or equivalent experience," the majority of responses they'll get will be with people who have completed their associate's degree. So you're automatically put in the short stack if you don't have that.

• Like 1

In a traditional format an AA takes 2 years or 4 semesters. You withdrew from 3 classes. That is almost 1 class per semester. Honestly it makes you look like somebody who quits when the going gets tough.

In a world where you and the other candidates are otherwise equal, I'm going to hire the person who didn't quit.

That said, I dropped 1 class in college while working on my BA. Do you see the difference? I dropped 1 class in 8 semesters. You dropped 3 in 4 semesters. Also the class you dropped may make a difference. I was a liberal arts major who dropped an accounting class. I now hire accountants. If the class was in your major dropping it looks even worse.

I highly doubt that the decision was because they "don't like you" but the ability to get along with your employer is a chemistry thing. Somebody who's personality rubs me the wrong way during an interview is not getting the job. You spend so much time at work, the last thing you need is somebody who grates on your nerves.

• Like 2
Mind-Chants

I am from technical background and prepare the final shortlist for interview among the screened list given by HRD. Even though you have not disclosed much on your situation, based on limited information let's evaluate.

Possible Reasons:-

1. There is something called person-role fit in HR science. Initial screening is always based on this irrespective of your degree status or job experience. Every position has got some role expectancy, how much you would be able to fit in is the criteria is what HR decides. Many factors- career history, experience, general attitude, recommendation, activity history etc.

2. You mentioned they required an AA degree or equivalent work ex which you don't have. This pushes you behind. Very basic necessity for initial screening.

3. Relative position among competitors. I mean if I have to call 5 people for interview. I would select top 5 in my list and call them. You are not aware of the competition or the competitors. On a side note how I prepare my list, I give points (+ and -) to various aspects in your resume. In your case, as d0nnivain has mentioned way too many subject dropped for AA degree. My tolerance is 25% of number of semesters without negative penalty. In your case the limit is 1. That's negative 2.

4. Quality of resume and recommendations. Very very important. I personally don't think much of resume but I give a lot of priority to recommendations and references.

Good luck in your endeavors.

• Like 3
GorillaTheater
How often do employers actually call the college to ask about a transcript?

I would suspect almost never. In the US, FERPA would keep the colleges from releasing grades without a subpoena or written permission of the student. If they're interested in transcripts at all, I'd imagine they'd ask the applicant to provide them. Saves the employer a little work in any event.

ETA: unless they were concerned about falsification of the transcripts.

• Like 2
  • Author
I would suspect almost never. In the US, FERPA would keep the colleges from releasing grades without a subpoena or written permission of the student. If they're interested in transcripts at all, I'd imagine they'd ask the applicant to provide them. Saves the employer a little work in any event.

ETA: unless they were concerned about falsification of the transcripts.

So, if I were to send a false transcript the employer would never find out about it?

GorillaTheater
So, if I were to send a false transcript the employer would never find out about it?

Unless they suspect it's false.

But why in the world would you lie? If it's a public college or university, it's conceivable that it would be a criminal offense: falsification of a government document or similar.

• Like 2

In my experience, the only places that are going to look at your transcripts are going to request the transcripts are delivered in a sealed envelope directly from the school. These must be requested by and paid for by you, as part of the application process. They can either be delivered directly to the employer or sent to you in a sealed envelope that cannot be tampered with.

... the "basic" qualifications for the job was an associates degree or equivalent work experience. On my resume, I put that my AA degree was "in progress" meaning that I'm still working on it.

... but I don't get why they didn't consider me?

Also, you don't meet the "basic" qualifications. That is most likely the reason you haven't been considered.

Edited by rester
  • Like 1
  • Author

Well, they just didn't like me or like my name, because now that I remember-when I filled out the application-I put on there that I'm planning on finishing my degree and even put the future graduation date. So what gives???

• Author

Plus, there was the option on their application to put that on there-anticipated grad date. Why do they even have that in there anyway?

A lot of factors go into the hiring process. Yes, sometimes one thing can tip the scales for or against you but mostly it's about ranking candidates based on their present qualifications.

Standard-Fare

Bobbi7, I don't know your story here but you're sounding pretty naive... maybe you're just super young and inexperienced.

This will be one of many, many jobs you apply for that you don't get hired for or don't even hear back from. And that has nothing to do with you personally - it's everybody's reality. Jobs are competitive, and rejection is a big part of this game.

Since you don't have that degree yet, your most realistic prospects are going to be jobs that don't ask for or even favor that degree (i.e. "associate's degree or equivalent.") You might need to lower your expectations right now. And if you don't find anything related to you specific career interest, just find a salary.

• Like 1
Mind-Chants
Plus, there was the option on their application to put that on there-anticipated grad date. Why do they even have that in there anyway?

Reasons

1. Job application for various positions comes under a single standardized format for any company at least for entry level or lower level. It’s much more efficient and economical than to have individual application for different positions. 80% things remain same for most positions, only 20% varies as per requirement. Why waste precious man hours for 20% to create different applications.

2. Not to mention the complexity associated with managing so many different applications. It’s chaos.

3. Most companies now put your information in their database for future role match. A single application format makes it possible to match against future openings.

introverted1

I think you need to frame things differently.

If there are only a few candidates, then you missing one of the requirements -- the AA degree -- might not be a big deal and you'd be considered. But if there were many candidates and some of them had both an AA degree AND the relevant work experience, you are not likely to be considered.

As for falsifying your transcript, or saying you've earned a degree you haven't, I would strongly recommend against this. Even if successful, if uncovered later you will be fired "for cause," which means no unemployment benefits and no ability to get a recommendation. There can even be legal action taken against you.

If you feel you are not being considered for jobs for which you are seemingly qualified, it might be worth going to career counselor or workshop and learning how to write the best possible resume as well as role playing interviewing skills. You can also look for courses that will provide an immediate benefit to your hiring prospects, i.e., certifications and the like that are specific to your industry.

Good luck.

• Like 1
How often do employers actually call the college to ask about a transcript?

Employers do not typically do this. However, they may require you to submit one as a part of your application process.

Typically, if you have the degree they want, they don't look closely at the grades, UNLESS you are applying for a job in education. I have a pharmacist friend who likes to joke: what do you call a Pharmacy grad with a C average? A Pharmacist :D

So no, a transcript is not typically a deciding factor. NOT having the degree they want can be.

But soft skills are THE biggest reason people don;t land a job or get a promotion. In other words, social and interpersonal skills. Abrasiveness, argumentativeness, lack of respect for chain of command, lack of tact, blameshifting, etc. will all be a hindrance to getting a job or getting ahead. Most of the time when I get to know someone who laments roadblock after roadblock in their career, their personality and the way they choose to speak and interact tells the tale.

• Like 1