I've been a temporary worker at a company since June 2015. In September, my boss said I was getting hired by October. So, my boss sent the paperwork to HR, and I thought by October, I'd be a permanent employee.

I'm still not hired.

Along with 3 other temps, I've spent the past 6 months contacting the HR department (which is located in another timezone) but HR says the same thing every time: Your boss hasn't sent all the proper documents back.

And my boss says the same thing every time: HR is ignoring me. HR isn't telling me what I need to send.

I'm going nuts here! Should I just move on and look for a new job? I've been hesitant to jump ship for another contractor job, but maybe the next company would treat me better? I also keep thinking, well, tomorrow could be the day! But I feel so ridiculous. I just don't understand this.

Is this common???

GunslingerRoland

Are you missing out on things, being temporary and not permanent?

I know here at my company that people spend many years as a "temporary" employee, but it's really just a budget numbers thing, doesn't affect anything as far as salary or benefits go.

• Author
Are you missing out on things, being temporary and not permanent?

I know here at my company that people spend many years as a "temporary" employee, but it's really just a budget numbers thing, doesn't affect anything as far as salary or benefits go.

Well I don't have benefits through the company. I had to get them through my temp agency. The benefits don't cover anything, ha-ha. And yeah I'm paid less than the 'real' employees. I also have no vacation days . I don't have holiday pay, either. I have a few sick days because Massachusetts just passed a law forcing all employers to give sick days to all types of employees.

My husband hires a lot of temps in his office and usually, "becoming permanent" involves a hefty pay-out to the Temp Agency involved - especially if the temp hasn't worked at the company for an entire year. It depends on the contract between the employer and the Temp Agency.

The negotiations for permanent employment should be between you, HR, and you boss because technically, your "boss" is the agency that sends you to the job (and supplies your paycheck). If there is a job to be had, you are just a third wheel in the negotiation and you need to bring in the Agency to assist in the process.

• Author
My husband hires a lot of temps in his office and usually, "becoming permanent" involves a hefty pay-out to the Temp Agency involved - especially if the temp hasn't worked at the company for an entire year. It depends on the contract between the employer and the Temp Agency.

The negotiations for permanent employment should be between you, HR, and you boss because technically, your "boss" is the agency that sends you to the job (and supplies your paycheck). If there is a job to be had, you are just a third wheel in the negotiation and you need to bring in the Agency to assist in the process.

It's 90 days here, not 1 year, so it's past that point. i talked to my agency about this a few months ago. They said the HR department is hard to get in contact with, and they're working on it.

Basically, nothing is really happening. I honestly just think my boss (the...non-agency boss) doesn't consider this much of a priority. I mean, regardless of whether I'm a real employee or a temp, I'm doing the same work, so what does the company care.

GunslingerRoland
Well I don't have benefits through the company. I had to get them through my temp agency. The benefits don't cover anything, ha-ha. And yeah I'm paid less than the 'real' employees. I also have no vacation days . I don't have holiday pay, either. I have a few sick days because Massachusetts just passed a law forcing all employers to give sick days to all types of employees.

Fair enough... I also didn't know you were through a temp agency, not just a temporary employee.

If it were me, I would start looking for a full time job....once you secure another position... quit your temp job. Sounds like they're stringing you along, and that would not sit well with me at all!!

Don't use your current agency to help you ....their loyalty is to the company, not you, unfortunately.

The company is the one paying their fees, not you, so go to another agency to help you with your search.

Finally, next time a contract employer promises you a full time position by a certain date, get it in writing!!

Good luck!

Find another job, absolutely. I know of a few large companies who will string temps along for YEARS, not months. And it's been nearly a year since you started work there. If they really wanted to hire you, they would have done so already. Or they'll realize when you find another job that they need to get their **** together to keep you.

chelle21689
I've been a temporary worker at a company since June 2015. In September, my boss said I was getting hired by October. So, my boss sent the paperwork to HR, and I thought by October, I'd be a permanent employee.

I'm still not hired.

Along with 3 other temps, I've spent the past 6 months contacting the HR department (which is located in another timezone) but HR says the same thing every time: Your boss hasn't sent all the proper documents back.

And my boss says the same thing every time: HR is ignoring me. HR isn't telling me what I need to send.

I'm going nuts here! Should I just move on and look for a new job? I've been hesitant to jump ship for another contractor job, but maybe the next company would treat me better? I also keep thinking, well, tomorrow could be the day! But I feel so ridiculous. I just don't understand this.

Is this common???

You sounded like me a couple months ago. I was a temp as a recruiter for the agency and they told me within 4 months I'll be hired. 6 months later nope, a year passed and they said maybe. I finally looked for other jobs 9 months into my position. Now I started a job about a month ago and I have great benedits. It's challenging so I really can't mess up!!!

My old coworker quit our precious job too because he was a temp. Lol they're going downhill now. Everyone is quitting.