I can't go on vacation w/o clients getting upset or falling behind

OneLife2Live

This has been a frustrating one for me for several months.

I have a new client in my caseload for several months. The client is wonderful, which makes the late in the day appointment (evenings, I don't get off work until 7:30pm) much more manageable.

However, whenever I need to cancel or reschedule them to another day, I get the dirty look and either they agree to another day for our appointment or they tell me that doesn't work.

Then there is another one that did the same, both appointments with them are on a Thursday.

DH and I are going out of state for four days, well that is what he wanted to do. He wants to leave on a Thursday morning early, but I have two appointments with clients that day. One is mid morning, the other is in the evening. When I asked my morning client if we could switch our appointment to Wed morning instead she said no, they are getting back from their vacation late the night before so she can't meet. Because I HAVE to have so many numbers in to meet with clients I told her we can meet our usual time on Thursday. I'm already one behind with her due to an illness. Dh was NOT happy. My supervisor asked me how my numbers were with her, I could just cancel and leave early Thursday morning like we planned. I told her I am behind on one due to being ill.

When I asked my evening client if we could meet Wed evening as we are going on vacation she gave me a dirty look and said "I suppose." She has gotten upset every time I need to reschedule to another night (which has only happened twice and it was for something out of my control). For example, she actually wanted to meet Christmas Eve! I told her that will not work, I will be celebrating Christmas with my immediate and extended family. So we met on Wednesday evening instead.

I'm tired of getting the guilt trip for needing to reschedule with clients just so I can take a mini vacation. I haven't had a week or two vacation in several years because of my job and the demands to meet with clients. What is the point of earning all this vacation pay when I can't even use it?

She's an unreasonable client & you can't let her run your life. Since you are meeting with her early, your boss should be happy.

Get your numbers up with her but going forward do try to give meaningful notice before you go on vacation.

I would suggest planning your vacation and days off far in advance and not scheduling client meetings on those days. If the client requests to meet on those days, you just say "I'm sorry, I won't be in the office that day." And don't worry about dirty looks or tone.

Rescheduling can be annoying, although at times it is necessary. I would feel a little put off if someone rescheduled with me at the last minute to take a vacation.

• Like 3
  • Author
OneLife2Live

Thanks! Actually, we told each other months ago that we were both going on vacation and what days. When I asked her back then if Wed morning would work since I planned on leaving Thursday morning she acted like that was fine. We discussed it several more times after that during our appointment times and she was fine with meeting Wed morning. Then when the time came, she said it wouldn't work as they will be getting back late Tuesday night so Wed would not work for a visit.

I have to meet with my clients once a week. But, it is nearly impossible to do two appointments with a client in one week due to my schedule already being booked.

• Author
OneLife2Live
I would suggest planning your vacation and days off far in advance and not scheduling client meetings on those days. If the client requests to meet on those days, you just say "I'm sorry, I won't be in the office that day." And don't worry about dirty looks or tone.

Rescheduling can be annoying, although at times it is necessary. I would feel a little put off if someone rescheduled with me at the last minute to take a vacation.

Sorry, we were posting at the same time. Anyhow, both of these clients told me that Thursday's each week work best for their schedule, so we meet every Thursday as that works for them. I keep my schedule clear for that day to meet with them. I have other clients scheduled the rest of the week. I usually do not have appointments on Mondays due to needing to plan for the week and to enter documentation that is needed. It's my "desk day." Each of us that are in this position are expected to have one day a week to have a desk day to plan and document.

They both knew of my plans for vacation months ago. They have busy schedules so I am sure the one just forgot even though I reminded her several times.

Sorry, we were posting at the same time. Anyhow, both of these clients told me that Thursday's each week work best for their schedule, so we meet every Thursday as that works for them. I keep my schedule clear for that day to meet with them. I have other clients scheduled the rest of the week. I usually do not have appointments on Mondays due to needing to plan for the week and to enter documentation that is needed. It's my "desk day." Each of us that are in this position are expected to have one day a week to have a desk day to plan and document.

They both knew of my plans for vacation months ago. They have busy schedules so I am sure the one just forgot even though I reminded her several times.

You told the clients you were going on vacation months ago. Reminded them several times.

The problem is you're now asking them if it's okay to move their appointments. Like they have a choice.

You should have rearranged your vacation week schedule months ago also. Could have said something like "I'm going on vacation that week ... we need find a time for your appointment that week ... do you prefer Wednesday morning or Wednesday evening?"

Rather than waiting until now and asking her is it okay to move it from Thursday. Tell you're going to leave on Thursday, and she can choose among your other available times. See the difference?

I don't think she's frowning because you're going on vacation. She's frowning because you weren't proactive and didn't handle this decisively.

"Asking" her if she can move her appointment from your vacation time seems weak and she's probably wondering why is she coming to you for advice.

There's nothing wrong with taking your vacation. You deserve your vacation. I can imagine you need it. This is just a matter of how it was handled.

TrustedthenBusted

People tend to get the feeling that the earth will stop spinning without them. If you are entitled to PTO, and you schedule it conscientiously, take it and don't look back.

Unless you are a heart surgeon, and your client is a transplant patient....take your trip.

• Author
OneLife2Live
You told the clients you were going on vacation months ago. Reminded them several times.

The problem is you're now asking them if it's okay to move their appointments. Like they have a choice. No, I am reminding them, so they know we will not be meeting Thursday evening, maybe they can make other plans with their family or whatever they want to do. They are busy, we all are, I know how things like this can slip their minds.

You should have rearranged your vacation week schedule months ago also. Could have said something like "I'm going on vacation that week ... we need find a time for your appointment that week ... do you prefer Wednesday morning or Wednesday evening?" I'm sorry, did what I say in my earlier in my reply not make sense? If not, I guess I should have re-read it before I submitted. I asked my morning usual Thursday appointment if she could do Wed morning as I was going on vacation Thursday and was not able to meet. At first she said yes, then last week when we met again, she said no. She would not be back from her own vacation until late Tuesday night so Wed morning wouldn't work. I did not have an opening another other time Wed afternoon as I have another client to see. She changed her mind. So, now I can't leave (on Thursday) morning when I had planned because I have to meet with her instead.

Rather than waiting until now and asking her is it okay to move it from Thursday. Tell you're going to leave on Thursday, and she can choose among your other available times. See the difference? I guess I am confused because I told her two weeks ago I was needing Thursday evening off and asked if she could meet with me Wed evening instead.

I don't think she's frowning because you're going on vacation. She's frowning because you weren't proactive and didn't handle this decisively. I gave her two weeks notice.

"Asking" her if she can move her appointment from your vacation time seems weak and she's probably wondering why is she coming to you for advice. I can't just demand she meet me on a different night, I have to offer her to meet me on a different night, Wednesday evening was the only time that worked for us. She isn't available to meet on Monday or Tuesday evenings.

There's nothing wrong with taking your vacation. You deserve your vacation. I can imagine you need it. This is just a matter of how it was handled.

I think we both confused each other, it's been a long week and my stupid computer is having issues.

• Author
OneLife2Live
People tend to get the feeling that the earth will stop spinning without them. If you are entitled to PTO, and you schedule it conscientiously, take it and don't look back.

Unless you are a heart surgeon, and your client is a transplant patient....take your trip.

Thanks Trusted! I am thrilled that my clients actually want to meet with me and get bummed when we can't, but like you said, I earned my PTO and I deserve to take it. Just like they deserve to take their own.

Nope, def not a heart surgeon, lol!

Thanks! Actually, we told each other months ago that we were both going on vacation and what days. When I asked her back then if Wed morning would work since I planned on leaving Thursday morning she acted like that was fine. We discussed it several more times after that during our appointment times and she was fine with meeting Wed morning. Then when the time came, she said it wouldn't work as they will be getting back late Tuesday night so Wed would not work for a visit.

I have to meet with my clients once a week. But, it is nearly impossible to do two appointments with a client in one week due to my schedule already being booked.

I don't understand this. I mean a schedule is a schedule and if you and she changed it months ago then it was changed and why would she think it wasn't? Imagine I have a dentist appt on a Friday a month from today and my dentist office calls me today and says we would like to reschedule that appointment to the Thursday and I agree. Well that's it, the appointment has changed. The week of the appointment I can't say 'well now Thursday doesn't work for me so I want my Friday appointment back. That wouldn't even cross my mind because the dentist already told me a month ago that they would not be available on Friday.

I realize that you are probably not running as tight a ship as a dentist or doctor but it seems like their is an assertive issue here. Is this because you have a hard time saying no to them just on a personal level or is it because your company pushes you to meet certain quotas?

• Author
OneLife2Live
I don't understand this. I mean a schedule is a schedule and if you and she changed it months ago then it was changed and why would she think it wasn't? Imagine I have a dentist appt on a Friday a month from today and my dentist office calls me today and says we would like to reschedule that appointment to the Thursday and I agree. Well that's it, the appointment has changed. The week of the appointment I can't say 'well now Thursday doesn't work for me so I want my Friday appointment back. That wouldn't even cross my mind because the dentist already told me a month ago that they would not be available on Friday.

I realize that you are probably not running as tight a ship as a dentist or doctor but it seems like their is an assertive issue here. Is this because you have a hard time saying no to them just on a personal level or is it because your company pushes you to meet certain quotas?

Thanks for your reply. Tbh it's a little of both. My agency pushes us to meet certain quotas that's why i just didnt tell her Thursday will not work and stick to my guns. If I wasn't one behind with her due to being ill I would have told her I already made plans to leave that morning like we agreeded upon in the beginning.