Are affairs common in your company?

Do you have a lot of people or executives having affairs in your company?

I have never worked anywhere where this was common but there may have been one or three people over the years but all ended with the married person getting a divorce and being with their lover. Everyone at work had to accept this. No one got in trouble.

There is none of this going on at the company I work for now but a couple who works there got together before one of them was divorced. This was years ago.

JourneyLady

I have never worked anywhere where this was common but there may have been one or three people over the years but all ended with the married person getting a divorce and being with their lover. Everyone at work had to accept this. No one got in trouble.

There is none of this going on at the company I work for now but a couple who works there got together before one of them was divorced. This was years ago.

It happened a lot at the company the ex-husband (still) works for. I happened to meet one of the other wives who's husband was also involved in an affair at that company.

Some of it happens from hiring office temps and rotating them - sooner or later someone will get hired that a spouse might be attracted to. Some of it is even encouraged by companies that put in gyms and cafeterias where employees not even working in the same part of the company can meet up. Then there are long lunch hours. My ex-h used to go in a separate car and meet his AP somewhere else during lunch. It turned into an affair a year later.

Obviously there is the "office wife", but the larger the company, the more choice in possible partners there are. Corporations don't really support "family" any more; if they ever did.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Corrected spelling ~ V

It happens all the time in mine. Large company, lots of ppl coming and going, so it's pretty much inevitable.

RecentChange

Not at mine, but it's a small office - with very long term employees.

Now the motor sports company my dude used to work for? Groups of all guys traveling internationally for races etc? The cheating was rampant, I think I heard tales regarding every attached man in the company.

Affairs are very common in academia. The usual format is, MP reaches senior status (full professor, sometimes earlier) and starts to find their ageing partner a little dull - especially compared to the bright postgrads they are supervising. Usually a particularly close R springs up with one of these grad students (or sometimes a colleague) and an A develops. In many cases, the MP "trades up", and goes on to marry the "break get young(er) thing" and that partnership becomes the stable dyad, spawning a "second family" of precocious kids that get doted on, privately schooled at great expense, etc. In some cases, though, the grad student is simply traded in for another down the track, and in those cases there usually isn't a D as the BS simply accepts the infidelity as part of the cost of being M to a senior academic.

It was common & awkward at the 1st company I worked at after graduation. Senior partner left his wife to marry a secretary. Another partner married a client but was cheating on her with his secretary. They had a lot of meetings during the day & she would emerge wiping her mouth & it was clear that she had been kneeling (gross in the office during a work day) Third partner divorced his wife to marry a secretary & then that woman became a tyrant to everyone else in the office.

One other company the two big bosses were having an affair with each other. I hated it because I liked to work late. I used to go out of my way to make a LOT of noise when I walked around the office after hours because I never wanted to inadvertently catch them.

Most every body was above board.

ShatteredLady

I worked at the head office of one of the largest alcohol companies. The whole basement was a company bar that sold drink at cost, no tax. I wrote contracts & negotiated. We travelled quite a lot. Even a hours meeting would conclude down the pub for a few hours. So many parties. So much alcohol. So much adultery!!

When a woman came to be interviewed the men would walk down the back stairs, through reception & back around into the offices then fill out 'the list', breast size, f**k or date, bum shape, hot or not. That was before she even got the job!

The best account managers are strong family men who can party hard & be "one of the lads". Oh they were charging lunchtime hotel rooms on expenses for years before the costs became ridiculous.

We had our own flats (apartments) very near the offices. Our 2nd in command moved into one with the telesales manager when they both got thrown out for having an affair while his wife was pregnant. Didn't last long. His wife never took him back.

The CEO's main mistress was a long term one. She had a job title but didn't actually do anything. She lived (free) in one of the flats. Travelled with him a lot. Turned a blind eye to his flings with young telesales women.

I helped 'clean-up' for audits :D

ShatteredLady

I'm pretty tall. In stilettos I was the right height for our short round CEOs bald head to fit exactly in my cleavage. Being the only woman at my level I always had to dance with him! Ugh! It was horrific. The nights I spent trying to avoid him! Ugh!

Interesting. To me, workplace affairs are more of a theoretical thing I've heard exists, not something I've ever observed. In fact, I can think of only two apparently well-founded rumors over 32 years, and I never saw any clearcut circumstantial evidence. (Even relationships among single people were quite rare...only 1 comes to mind. They married and are at the 20 year mark now....cute couple.)

I work in the tech industry in Silicon Valley. Workplaces tend to be 80-90% male and the men are 90% shy nerds, plus a fair amount of very religious types and then the very aggressive alphas who end up in management. It seems the shy nerds all marry by age 30 and then go straight home to their wives every night. The introversion, intelligence, education and nerdiness appears to make them quite faithful. (Also, many of them are quite unattractive and none of them are at all flirtatious.)

Some lines of work seem more prone to infidelity than others. My uncle was a firefighter, and 100% of them had GFs on the side. It was an open secret and my aunt was very upset when my cousin in turn married a firefighter because she knew what was coming for her daughter.

It was also very common among surgeons (of both genders) but less common among physicians, paediatricians, radiologists and pharmacologists.

When I was at school, it was very common for female teachers to have affairs with male parents, and for male teachers to have affairs with schoolgirls. Very occasionally was there an affair among colleagues.

I'm pretty tall. In stilettos I was the right height for our short round CEOs bald head to fit exactly in my cleavage. Being the only woman at my level I always had to dance with him! Ugh! It was horrific. The nights I spent trying to avoid him! Ugh!

:sick: Yech. I hope they paid you really well to make up for all that :mad:

ShatteredLady

Cocorico. "In many cases, the MP "trades up", and goes on to marry the "break get young(er) thing" and that partnership becomes the stable dyad, spawning a "second family" of precocious kids that get doted on, privately schooled at great expense, etc"

That's what my friends Dad did. The 'New Wife' was only a couple of years older than my friend. Brutal when you're young & had a hard time growing-up with a womanizing, often absent father.

ShatteredLady

Speaking of firefighters, sort of... My Dad trained & worked German Shepherd dogs so he knew a lot of policemen socially. In England that's another high infidelity job. Mostly they seemed to have affairs with nurses...what's that about? Lots of waiting around in hospitals I guess.

yes.

Currently company - : Main Owner- Married his partner 20 years ago..she had been his secretary. He was in between marriage and ...affairs.

Current Boss in my division- Supposedly has an "open" marriage...or so he claims. Oddly after knowing his wife...I think he forgot to tell her..

His "private" Assistant and He are in year number 7 together....He will upgrade her...He has a thing for young ones...

it happens a lot, indeed -- we have around 2000+ people working in the same place, super long hours + there is a lot of contact with people in general... so it happens a lot.

right now -- two coworkers are very obviously having an affair in my own department and they're convinced no one knows. it can get super uncomfortable; especially when his wife visits unannounced.

Edited by minimariah
Currently company - : Main Owner- Married his partner 20 years ago..she had been his secretary. He was in between marriage and ...affairs.

you mean - she wasn't his only affair?

It seemed that at one job me and one other person where the only ones that were faithful. There were two women who for some reason thought right next to my office was a good place to loudly discuss their cheating in graphic detail.

you mean - she wasn't his only affair?

They were both stepping outside their respective marriages....

They eventually both divorced there former spouses, and have since been married 20 years. He is extremely anti affairs . He seriously does not cross any lines with females. I think he is one of the few that learned his lesson. Plus his reputation took years to rebuild, I think for him...its never worth that risk to lose the respect of his community.

• Like 1
Cocorico. "In many cases, the MP "trades up", and goes on to marry the "break get young(er) thing" and that partnership becomes the stable dyad, spawning a "second family" of precocious kids that get doted on, privately schooled at great expense, etc"

:eek: sorry - I missed that autocorrect fail - that should have read, "bright young(er) thing..."

That's what my friends Dad did. The 'New Wife' was only a couple of years older than my friend. Brutal when you're young & had a hard time growing-up with a womanizing, often absent father.

I've seen even worse - one Prof's oldest daughter was an undergraduate doing a couple of options in his department. Her tutor / GTA in the Dept used her "friendship" with his daughter to "get to know him better".... and a couple of years later (once she'd completed her PhD, which he supervised...) graduated to become the new "Mrs X". The daughter was at that stage a postgrad in a different department (but same Faculty, and same building) and her sister was beginning undergrad studies in his Dept - where "Mrs X" convened her course. As it was a core course for her major, she had no option but to stick it out, although it was a,very awkward situation. (Someone else marked her papers, and both dad and step-mom had to recuse themselves from marks boards involving her, but still.) Prof X was offered a senior post in the Ministry not long after, and Mrs X found a post at a university close by, but he would still come down and offer "guest lectures" in the department regularly.

He was a very sweet guy, very popular lecturer with the students and a great HoD - but clearly clueless when it came to his daughters. (His xBW is now remarried,to a Prof in the Dept her oldest daughter did her postgrad studies in - poor girl must feel she's running a dating agency!)

• Like 2
Speaking of firefighters, sort of... My Dad trained & worked German Shepherd dogs so he knew a lot of policemen socially. In England that's another high infidelity job. Mostly they seemed to have affairs with nurses...what's that about? Lots of waiting around in hospitals I guess.

High-adrenalin professions...? My SIL was an A&E nurse many years ago, and they were always getting offers - from cops, yes, also trauma surgeons, and accident lawyers. At that time, she used to party hard - they would leave a shift and got straight out - and were always very popular at nightspots when people asked what they did. She and her housemates used it to their advantage, though - if they had work needing doing, they'd take home a sparky, or a plumber, or whatever, and get him to do the work for free, and then break up with him a couple of days later when it was all fixed. Now, she's married with kids, and the very model of respectability...

• Like 1
It seemed that at one job me and one other person where the only ones that were faithful. There were two women who for some reason thought right next to my office was a good place to loudly discuss their cheating in graphic detail.

Maybe you were their next target?

Maybe you were their next target?

I doubt it. We did not get along well at all. When I gave my two weeks I had to train one of them to do part of my job and she refused to listen to anything I said. I finally told her it's no issue to me if she doesn't want to know how to do her job.

(His xBW is now remarried,to a Prof in the Dept her oldest daughter did her postgrad studies in - poor girl must feel she's running a dating agency!)

LOL.

your post reminded me of my former colleague's story -- her story was basically the same as the one you wrote BUT she was that tutor; the new stepmother. basically... she was only a few years older than the girl she was tutoring, had an affair with the girl's father and he left his BW; they married. he was the Prof and they were all at the same department - the young girl, the Prof and The Tutor/New Stepmother.

the Prof's BW - who was ALSO the Prof BUT in the different department - had an affair with The Tutor/New Stepmother's father; he divorced and they later married. HIS BW recently got a job at that same University and has been in a relationship of her own with another Prof for years.

all the fun is clearly in the teaching profession! :cool:

I used to work for a company where adultery was the norm.There were two opposite poled of employees: managers and supervisors (all married) who were all men in their late 30s and 40s, some older and then us, the regular workers who were predominately female in their 20s with a high turnover.

Most of the married men had an affair, there were some who got divorced and pursued a relationship with a women at least a decade younger. One couple got married, but the girl was cheating on her new husband with just about everyone.

One MM divorced his wife and moved in with his mistress, they lived together for almost a decade, never got married, never had kids (he has grown up kids from his first marriage), they aren't together anymore. While this guy was still with his wife and had a mistress he was also pursuing me (unsuccessfully), god knows how many more women he had on a side.

One MM left his wife and his 2 preschool kids and moved in with his 20-something girlfriend. They lasted for a few months, he returned to his wife, she eventually got into a relationship with a guy her own age and has a baby with him now.

There was also a guy in a LTR (10 years or so) with his GF, they lived together but weren't married. Both of them worked for this company. He cheated on his GF with another coworker, his GF found out and dumped him and he was with his new GF for probably at least 4 years until he cheated again with yet another coworker. So the second GF dumped him and his new GF got pregnant in the first new months of their relationship. It was common knowledge that he was trapped in this RL and wasn't happy, but he stayed with her because of the kid.