Is this harmless behavior or highly unethical?

What would you have done if this happened to you?

Background: Your boss always undermines and sabotage you and your work. As well as falsely accused and/or reported you on things you were not remotely doing or thinking.

Situation: You finally got an external promotion. You put in your two weeks only to find out the hiring department isn't fully ready for you. So you notify (email) your boss and their boss to inform the temporary setback. And preface the notification by including that you will reach out to them once you are in the know of the "release date".

You discover (from the hiring department) your boss went behind your back to call the hiring department to inquire about the communications between the hiring department and myself. And asked to be informed of any and all forms of communications between the two entities from here now out.

How would you respond?

I'm confused. Is this a different position in the same company?

If yes, I would have a discussion with your future/new supervisor.

If no, leave after the two weeks and hope the job comes through.

Were you hasty in giving your two weeks? What say does your current boss have over your new position?

I would definitely limit my communications with the hiring department if you feel they are going to report all communication to a boss that undermines you.

• Author

External promotion. New company, new position. My hiring department said I was start working at the end of February, but now at the end of March.

If I'm understanding correctly, your current boss (of Job A) is communicating with the hiring department of Job B?

If that's the case, then yes, that's unethical. Completely.

Did the hiring department say they would comply with your current boss's request? This sounds highly unlikely to me.

If it were me, I'd leave after my two weeks notice and take the month of March off until the new job started.

• Like 1
  • Author

Yes Rester, you are correct. The hiring department said they will provide my current boss with whatever she needs to make her feel better.

I reported my boss to HR and informed her boss in writing what's going on.

Today my boss received a 'cease and desist' notification from Labor Relations. Now my boss is upset with me.

• Author

Thank you for your feedback. I thought it was wrong for me to be upset.

whichwayisup

Does the boss do this to anybody else or just you? Why does your boss dislike you so much? Is it a personality clash or something else?

You did the right thing by going to HR. Now your soon to be ex boss can suck it up. Who cares if he's angry, he wasn't acting professional at all! In fact he should be written up and have a warning that what he's done to you was so wrong and he should be on probation and have to take management courses to learn how to be a better boss.

• Like 1
Yes Rester, you are correct. The hiring department said they will provide my current boss with whatever she needs to make her feel better.

Feel better about what? You leaving your current job? I find the whole scenario strange to the point that I'd be contacting an attorney for a quick consultation. As far as I know, your current boss should have no contact with your new company whatsoever. There's no reason for it.

I reported my boss to HR and informed her boss in writing what's going on.

Today my boss received a 'cease and desist' notification from Labor Relations. Now my boss is upset with me.

Let her be upset. You are moving on to a new company in just a couple weeks. You are doing the right thing by documenting this in writing.

• Author

Whichwayisup,

I was told in confidence by two co workers that my boss is threatened by me because I've earned my promotion by merit, hard work and dedication while her supervisor classification was handed to her because she complained that she should be given a promotion because she's best friends with the management.

She also found out that I'll be making more money than she is. I'm not sure if the latter contributed her feeling threatened by me.

But today she did not even come out of her office at all. She has left me completely alone. I'm starting to feel empowered for standing up for myself. This bullying has been going on for way to long.

Edited by Tressugar
  • Author

Feeling better by maintaining control of my hiring process. Employment attorney and my union are already in the know and waiting for my boss to mess up to sue her for violation of the privacy law and tampering of the hiring process.

Yes I'm out of there in a few weeks. For now she doesn't communicate with me in any way form or fashion.

Let her be upset. You are moving on to a new company in just a couple weeks. You are doing the right thing by documenting this in writing.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
quote formatting ~6