Should I go back to school?

MissCongeniality

I apologize if this doesn't belong here but since this pertains to well me having more options career wise I felt I should put it here.

I was a teenage mom and never finished high school. I have thought about going back to school maybe even to college but I think that may not be a good idea. I don't really know much about it and when I think about going back to school the images that come to mind are basically me literally going back to school. I mean I have a thirteen year old and I fear it would embarrass her(again I don't know much about it) and I was a sophomore when I dropped out.

I have fears because part of me thinks I'm too old and should just forget it. Another part of me wants to actually be able to have more options job and possibly career wise and for my kids to be proud of me.

Also my current skill set isn't exactly something most prospective employers like to see. That and my oldest daughter is just falling into bad habits and I need to set a better example.

Can anyone tell me more about this? Any advice would be appreciated.

If its something you want you should do it. theres no problem whatsoever. Good for you actually alot of people dont have that ambiton.

What would you like to study?

And yes you should do it theres nothing wrong with that. Alot of people are doing it.

• Like 1
  • Author
MissCongeniality
If its something you want you should do it. theres no problem whatsoever. Good for you actually alot of people dont have that ambiton.

What would you like to study?

And yes you should do it theres nothing wrong with that. Alot of people are doing it.

I want to be a lawyer if not that a cop or therapist but I think the first two are a pipe dream given my history with the law mind you I never got convicted of any felonies and I was a minor when I got arrested.

• Like 1
Randomlyrandomme

YES

Your kid(s) will be SO proud of you. They'll be your biggest support. I don't kno anyone who would discourage an adult improving tier education

FYI 34 and I went back to college this year. It's never to late!

• Like 2
I want to be a lawyer if not that a cop or therapist but I think the first two are a pipe dream given my history with the law mind you I never got convicted of any felonies and I was a minor when I got arrested.

Ok that's great. You can still do those things. I'm not very sure about the cop one but lawyer no problem. Background doesn't really matter there and you were a minor so its not really a problem for anything.

Its great that you want to finish your school.

And sure you should!

For yourself and your own happiness and also kids learn more from example then

from you just telling them stuff.

Them seeing and knowing you was teen mom but ddnt give up on your dreams but

went and get your degree still will help them mentally etc that what ever happen or

if their life dont work out well because of bad choices they made they can still bounce back and make it happen.

Beside if you so worried about what they may think, what will sound better?

Them saying my mom was a teen mom and ddnt finish school.

Or my mom was a teen mom but went back to school and have a degree in such and such?

Not even financially this will help you but also your self esteem and you will help your kids by example to finish their school what ever happen.

And in this time 2016!!!!!!!!! We have almost no excuse not to finish school or

do many things. Because its not the years when you was a teen mom.

Many more options and technology we have now.

So far that if im right i also heard of people doing exam on skype with school because they couldn't be at school for serious reasons.

You have online school, nigth school and i think in this time you have more variations also in those.

Have a conversation with your kids that you gonna do this.

And it also is a nice moment to have a conversation that can motivate them and teach them something.

And go get your degree. You wont get younger then what you are now. So

you better go now.

Get on google, visit colleges , ask around about opportunity so you can get the best type of education for your situation. Or possibility to get your degree in shorter times.

There is also the option of 3 days school/2 days work in the same field you studying for. and so on. But check it out in your own area.

• Like 1

School in America is extremely expensive and many degrees won't get you a job too readily.

You are better off doing a course that's cheaper and has good employment prospects.

Don't blindly do a degree just because you think it's a cool idea to be a lawyer. It isn't like the tv shows. Law degrees are long and boring and even passionate lawyers admit the study was a real drag. Nor do they have much scope to " help people". It's wll about making your firm money in order to not get the boot; there is no money to be made in the businessof helping out the less fortunate. Only sociopaths get ahead in law for the most part.

The debt from law school, the length of study, how boring most people find the degree and the employment prospects at the end of most degrees thse days just doesn't seem worth it.

There are shorter ways to better yourself. And cheaper. Why not start with an associate degree in a highly employable field and then work your way up and gain further accreditation only once you're gainfully employed in a legit career for a while?

Consider some paralegal programs as well if you are interested in law.

Law school is a long haul - and paralegal work will give you an idea if it's something you really want to persue.

How about something in the medical field like a phlebotomist or radiology tech? You could work in a lab or an imaging place or even in a hospital if that's what you desire.

My friend became a nurse when her daughter was around your daughter's age. It's never too late to learn.

• Author
MissCongeniality
School in America is extremely expensive and many degrees won't get you a job too readily.

You are better off doing a course that's cheaper and has good employment prospects.

I agree right now it's just a thought and I'm in no position to go back and even finish high school. I'm going through rough patch with my husband and I won't ask for his help because really it would just look bad and I don't want to ask my dad because then I'd owe him. I haven't seen my kids for a while but when I see them I want them to be proud of me.

Don't blindly do a degree just because you think it's a cool idea to be a lawyer. It isn't like the tv shows. Law degrees are long and boring and even passionate lawyers admit the study was a real drag.

Don't worry I have no intention of blindly seeking a career as a lawyer.

Nor do they have much scope to " help people". It's wll about making your firm money in order to not get the boot; there is no money to be made in the businessof helping out the less fortunate. Only sociopaths get ahead in law for the most part.

The debt from law school, the length of study, how boring most people find the degree and the employment prospects at the end of most degrees thse days just doesn't seem worth it.

There are shorter ways to better yourself. And cheaper. Why not start with an associate degree in a highly employable field and then work your way up and gain further accreditation only once you're gainfully employed in a legit career for a while?

I agree but being a lawyer was just a nice thought it's not my ambition. Ironically being a cop is my real dream.

Absolutely finish HS if you have not already done so. Then take one or two classes somewhere to see if you like school & will stick to it. Given the costs & your responsibilities to your kids unless you have a goal & the degree will get you there, now may not be the time to go to school just for the sake of saying you did.

I hope you are feeling encouraged by all these posts to go back to school. I agree that you will be helping both yourself and your daughter by taking this step. Trying to figure out all the steps or even the first step can be overwhelming but it sounds like you have some ideas about some things you might want to pursue like law enforcement or the legal field. If you know people who are already doing the jobs you are interested in you might want to talk with them first to get their advice on how to get started. If you are still trying to figure out what kind of a job or career you might be interested in, you might check out the adult education programs or the community college programs in your city. They generally have counselors or advisers you can meet with to help you get started.

It takes courage to follow your dreams and make them a reality, but it sounds like you are inspired to make it happen. I wish you all the best!

• Like 1

I will be just a few months shy of 39 when I get my BS in May. I had SO many reservations before I returned to school and thought I would be the oldest one there...not even close!

Don't let cost deter you. Get your GED/diploma first, and then talk to someone about scholarships, grants, whatever else will basically give you tuition money. There are ways around it! Even for your GED, talk to the college where the classes are and see how they can help.

My tween thinks it's so cool that I'm in school. We trade stories about what we've learned that day, she comes with me on campus to get books, sees me studying, all good things! She's learning that education is a must at any age.

Never stop learning! I won't lie, it's hard, but you--and your kids--will be so proud of your accomplishments, it's worth it!