career for a new mom who is just back to work

hi all,

I am a new mom, just come back to work this Friday and everything has been changed... my replacement get a full time position who is sitting the place I usually sit and right now I am sitting in a place for temporary place and people told me that would be my work station. although they say our company will build new cubicles but they haven't put it in the budget yet... maybe it will be a two year or longer project...

My manager was not there on my first day and my replacement trained me about my work and tell me how did she change my job and clean all the messes about it.....I feel a little depressed...I really need your advices... please help...

we are doing accounting job... in my job, the main problem is unapplied cash, the extra money our customer paid to us. actually each time I will follow up, emailing, calling our client to let them know about it and suggest them to use it in order we have clear account... but we are dealing with small company, their accounting department is really small, most of them does not follow up with these issues...so this new girl make a list about the every client she contact with and if they does not respond, she just move the money to our revenue account... if it is big amount, like $1ooo, she will return the money back.... and my manager is really happy about what she has done and ask me to continue to do it and on the top of it....

I am quite said actually... I think I did all the hard work to contact our clients... but her solution is to move the money to our revenue account and if some day, they aware about it, we give it back, if not, we keep the money...and for the money she return, I feel like how about they mean to pay other invoices, and we did not aware or we did not issue the invoices...I do not know...anyway my manager quite like she make the mess away and she saw all her "hard work" from the list... but feel I did not do anything at all...

I think maybe I am lack of experience in the workplace environment... Can you please give me some advice on what I should learn from this experience.... I feel I need to confirm with our client before I move their money or do anything....but her solution seems to save all the works for both side of accounting department....

what's the insight from this experience... am I too stick to rules? am I too conservative? or I am too not flexible ....

I feel maybe later they will lay off me because we have too much people in our accounting department and they hired my replacement already... so right now they just follow the laws to have me here... I feel so sad really because I am always the one work hard, never ask for pay for the over time... I really focus on my job,,, and another problem is my manager continue hiring more people in our team but I talked to her few times that I want to take more responsibilities,,, I am still young I want to have more opportunities to learn more.... but she still hire other people and I always have no job to do in the afternoon.... even I ask my co-worker if they have anything I could help... but my manager also quite angry about it....

and right now because this girl did this project for my job,,,, my boss feel I even did not do my own job well but ask for other job... it makes me looks really bad....

I do not know... as an accountant... I feel I did the right thing but it seems all the hard work is so stupid....

please give me some insight... what's the problem of me....what I need to learn from this experience...and what should I do now... I feel I am on the edge and will fall any time soon.....

before I asked my manager about setting principle on how to deal with those extra money paid from client... but she does not want to say anything... but this girl set up the principles by herself and make all the extra money to the revenue which makes my boss really happy...so what did I wrong....

please give me some insight.. I am totally lost....

Private companies, and even some public ones, will just go on and on with bad business practices until someone blows the whistle.

I don't know what line of business you are in, but I think you should bring it up to your boss that the procedures in place should probably be changed so that the customer is notified when they pay upfront that there may be some money left over after it's netted, and that they should call within X number of days to have the credit returned by check to them. After that, if they haven't called, then maybe it can be reclassified as revenue.

You can suggest this to your boss as the right thing to do and good business practice, but don't be confrontational, and definitely don't bring up your coworker or your other maternity leave grievances!

Right now your boss may be blinded by the $$$ and not thinking clearly, but by bring this to his attention, maybe he will think twice about it.

• Like 2
BlametheIrish

The best way to get more responsibility is prove how much of an asset you are to the company. As far as your temporary replacement changing things. Your boss seems to like it an awful lot, so if you bring up a legitimate concern (which I think yours is) it might backfire on you unfortunately.

Like I said, work hard and prove yourself an asset and if they still aren't giving you more responsibility then maybe it's time to star looking into what else is out there job wise.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
reply to deleted post ~T
  • Like 1

When the boss is doing something you disagree with, over the years, I have found it best not to be the one who speaks up and tells them it's wrong, but to simply follow their directions exactly, and let it all go wrong. And when it does, you do not try to make it right or fix it or hide it from them. You let them see for themselves that it went wrong and remind them you have done everything they asked exactly. And you make them fix it. That's the only to keep them from thinking you are stubborn and negative. They must be the one to acknowledge it isn't working and want to change it themselves. Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Author

Thank you all for they reply. I appreciate your help. I will follow whatever my boss want me to do to keep my job because I have a 11 month baby at home waiting for my salary to pay off all the expenses...I cannot risk anything for it...

If next week my boss talk with me about the new changes, what attitude I should have about it...I will say it is a great idea and I will continue the new way? Does this sound nice? And actually they did not give me a lot of and right now the replacement give me part of it...but she said this is all she got from me...she even keep the bank's internet security key to herself and tell me if I need them, just pick up from her...I do not want to pick up something with her but I feel I should get the key back then I do not need to come and ask for keys whenever I do my job....and I feel should I ask my boss what's my job responsibilities? Or I just wait her to give me more?

The replacement girl told me they will really busy the next two months and probably they will not have any time to give me more stuff to do and it will be really slow.... I do not know if I should continue ask for more job or just keep my mouth shut in case my boss feel angry towards me again...

Omg it is much harder to deal with all of these relationships that the actual real job itself....I just feel I am stupid people only know to hard work and after all the work, my boss still does not like me...how stupid I am...

If they are asking you or telling you about the new way, just go along with it cooperatively. Do not say it sounds like a great idea because then it flops, they share the blame with you! But just say, Oh, okay, sure, whatever you need me to do. But I would take that opportunity to say something like, Now I understand I've got to ask ___ for access each time, correct? That way you make sure the boss knows about that just in case they don't. And it also sends a message to the person who told you that that you will talk to the boss so she doesn't try anything sneaky, but technically you are not disagreeing about it, just confirming that is your understanding.

I have been in those situations so many times. I finally learned not to be the troubleshooter early-warning person. It was only resented. I hate it when it happens, but I just tell myself, what do you care what you're doing while you're there as long as you're getting paid.

One thing that happened to me that made no sense, a new woman was put in charge of some of us. When she got there, I was voluntarily doing the hardest tasks, the tasks everyone else didn't want to do and wasn't getting results from. I took on all the nonresponsive chores, and spent a lot of time on each one trying to get results. Then they put the new person in charge who came from a place with quotas, and she took me off that. It was so stupid, because I was the only way those were ever going to get done. But I just bit my tongue until she finally got fired.

Edited by preraph
  • Author
If they are asking you or telling you about the new way, just go along with it cooperatively. Do not say it sounds like a great idea because then it flops, they share the blame with you! But just say, Oh, okay, sure, whatever you need me to do. But I would take that opportunity to say something like, Now I understand I've got to ask ___ for access each time, correct? That way you make sure the boss knows about that just in case they don't. And it also sends a message to the person who told you that that you will talk to the boss so she doesn't try anything sneaky, but technically you are not disagreeing about it, just confirming that is your understanding.

I have been in those situations so many times. I finally learned not to be the troubleshooter early-warning person. It was only resented. I hate it when it happens, but I just tell myself, what do you care what you're doing while you're there as long as you're getting paid.

One thing that happened to me that made no sense, a new woman was put in charge of some of us. When she got there, I was voluntarily doing the hardest tasks, the tasks everyone else didn't want to do and wasn't getting results from. I took on all the nonresponsive chores, and spent a lot of time on each one trying to get results. Then they put the new person in charge who came from a place with quotas, and she took me off that. It was so stupid, because I was the only way those were ever going to get done. But I just bit my tongue until she finally got fired.

Thank you so much Preraph for your reply! I hate this situation badly as well...it is frustrated because it is not about we cannot do our job well, it is all because people who we work with make the situation complicated and they can take advantage of it...

Some people they really know how to show off, stand out no matter if they really did the job...

Thank you for sharing experiences with me. I will do it like what you suggested, hope I can keep my job and have enough time and opportunity to prove myself that I am really a good employee to them....

Yes, I've been in that situation before where someone manages to make everyone think they're great just by sucking up and flattering the bosses and tooting their own horn. Bosses love to be convinced someone is taking the wheel and often don't want the details. And I also learned that not everyone is apparently able to see far enough ahead to predict what they consequences will be. I guess they're not that plugged in or that lobe of their brain isn't functioning right. But that's another reason just to let them hang themself, because if you warn them and they resist but then you are proven right, then they REALLY resent you. It's a no-win situation.

lucy_in_disguise

The new approach sounds like very bad accounting practices to me. I dont know what type of contracts your company has with their clients, but chances are, the clients have a legal claim to their money if they have overpaid, so classifying as "revenue" without an appropriate adjustment to the liability side of the balance sheet would cause an overstatement of profits. Not to mention, they can run into cash flow issues if enough clients want their money back at the same time.

Perhaps setting up a reserve is the right solution- that wiuld allow the company to recognize the money as revenue, while also reflecting an offsetting increase in liabilities when the money has not yet been earned. Without this adjustment, the new approach seems questuonable to me.

If you are a certified accountant I think you probably have a professional oblugation to bring up potential inconsistencies with prescribed accounting standards. Beyond that... its a tough situation when you know you are right but the people in power don't agree or don't care. I would document my position as possible but at the end of the day... theres not much else you can do.

To protect your job, I think good communication and documentation goes a long - you should be proactive about seeking opportunoties, and make sure you get credit where it is due.

Not asking for overtime pay when you deserve it is always a mistake - insisting you are paid fairly demonstrates to your employer that you are aware of your value. Perception is so important and if you dont value yourself, your employer likely wont think to value you, either.

Edited by lucy_in_disguise
  • Like 2