Co worker copped an attitude!

I order the office supplies where I work. I place an order around once a month. People will come to me, and say, "Next time you place an order, order me this..." So I put it on my list of things to order, and when I've compiled a list of five or more things, I'll place the order. That way, I've only got one invoice at the end of the month.

It never fails that as soon as I place an order, someone will come around the next day, and say, "I forgot to tell you to order this the next time you place an order."

So it's on the list for NEXT month. Unless it's something they need right away.

This jerk I work with likes a certain kind of pen that costs $15 a box! He asked me to order him some the next time I place an order. I put it on the list. He called me two days later, and said, "Did my pens ever come in?" I said, "no." He said, "Did you order them?" I said, "No."

A week later, he asked me for his pens again. I told him that I still hadn't ordered them. They were the only thing on the list. He said, "You haven't ordered them!?" I said, "No." He insisted he needed them, so I ordered them as soon as I got off the phone.

A week later, he wanted a Binder. I put it on the list. He called three days later wanting the binder. I told him that I hadn't ordered it. He called me again a week later, and I still hadn't ordered it. He came to me and asked me in front of someone if I'd ordered it yet, and I told him no. A couple of days later, he rang me, and asked if I'd ordered it yet. I told him I hadn't. He got an attitude, and said, "And why not?"

:confused:

I said, "Because they are the only thing on my list of things to order, and I've been busy doing other things." He said, "I told you to order them two weeks ago."

I wasn't on my toes at that moment, so I didn't think to tell him that he told me to order them "the next time I place an order."

So I got off the line with him, and angrily ordered his Binder.

Two weeks later, he wanted another box of pens. People had walked off with every last one of his pens :mad:

Knowing that he'd annoy me until I ordered them, I just went ahead and ordered them for him. Just now, he came to me wanting a notebook...but it couldn't BE one that we already have, it has to be a 5 by 8...he can't use a 8X11 :mad:

So I just ordered it, so I won't have to listen to him nag me to death :mad:

I just put all my thoughts together, and decided that that's the LAST time I order something for him, unless I have a list. If he nags me one more time, the owner is going to get an angry call from me :mad: The nerve...blowing $15 worth of pens in less than a month :mad:

Send out a memo to all the retards in the office that says:

For simplification purposes, we place orders once a month. Please take this into consideration for when you need something and THINK AHEAD NEXT TIME.

I would also be tempted to tell the jerk that $15 pens are not in the budget, especially when they seem to go to anyone on the street. Replace them with Bics from Kmart or Target that are 10 in a bag for about two bags for a dollar during Back-to-School sales. *wink* But seriously, I would not supply him with expensive things that he can't hang on to (and I think he likes to see if he can make you do what he wants).

Hmmmm....I think you may be skating on thin ice here.

Are there "rules" about what people can order? If not, your "deciding" that this employee doesn't "deserve" an expensive pen could really come back to bite you.

Is this problem employee in a position of some power? If so, I'd make sure I was following whatever purchasing guidlines that are already established...not making my own because he pissed me off.

Why don't you make weekly ordering sheets and everyone can write their own requests on them? Put the DATED forms (i.e....for the week of 2/14/05) on a clipboard and hang it by your desk. This does 2 things: Takes you out of the loop and takes the urgency out of some of the retards requests.

If there are no guidelines...talk to the owner of the company and ask for some...get it in writing and POST IT BY THE WEEKLY ORDER FORM.

Of course there will be emergency orders....but WAYYYYYYY less this way.

• 4 weeks later...

Better idea: make every person write you an email with everything they order. You'll print it and have it as evidence.

Make a public policy also on the way they enter your office saying:

1."The supply is to be ordered once a week, on Monday, by e-mailing it to me at the address: ...."

2."The supply is to arrive one week prior to the placement of the order"

3. "If you miss your Monday order, you should expect a delay of at least 2 weeks prior to your getting your order".

4."Please respect the rules above and do NOT insist by phone or personal contact".

5. "For Urgent Orders: you have untill ... X day.... and you should expect a ....X.... delay. Each person has the right to make 2 urgent orders per months."

6. "thank you for your attention!!!"

There's nothing better than keeping written records of EVERYTHING. And .. let your boss take a peak at them every now and then.

I know, it sounds pretentious, especially since it's small orders, but you get to educate your colegues about that. Somehow, I think your "friend" there will think twice about pestering you!!!!