slacker coworker?

For the last three months I have been training a lady to do my job. I have been extremely overworked and busy.

I have been overwhelmed and simply exhausted on the weekends. Absolutely bombed. So I have been patient and holding this ladys hand since the beginning. She goes home at lunch for an hour and watches Netflix. She goes out shopping and takes two hour breaks to go out and do things. Ive been patient with her and kind when she couldn't learn things. I finally got fed up because I have been so overworked. And half the time she says oh I am done my 3 days a week that's all I agreed to.

No that's not all she should be working when I am working into the grave. I got fed up with her and had to call a patient meeting with all three of us regarding what we are going to do to have her take over everything. The frustration I felt was something I don't think I have ever felt. Anyways I think this lady is now annoyed with me and I am not sure what to do.

For the last three months I have been training a lady to do my job. I have been extremely overworked and busy.

I have been overwhelmed and simply exhausted on the weekends. Absolutely bombed. So I have been patient and holding this ladys hand since the beginning. She goes home at lunch for an hour and watches Netflix. She goes out shopping and takes two hour breaks to go out and do things. Ive been patient with her and kind when she couldn't learn things. I finally got fed up because I have been so overworked. And half the time she says oh I am done my 3 days a week that's all I agreed to.

No that's not all she should be working when I am working into the grave. I got fed up with her and had to call a patient meeting with all three of us regarding what we are going to do to have her take over everything. The frustration I felt was something I don't think I have ever felt. Anyways I think this lady is now annoyed with me and I am not sure what to do.

so she works 3 days a week (not full time) and somehow manages to get an hour for lunch and she takes 2 hours off her shift to go shopping? She not only is lazy but she's screwing the company over for the amount of time she actually does work.

talk to your boss!

How is this person on catching on to training and applying the skills?

Not to offend you... as you sound like an efficient person, but one thing I've found is that ppl learn when encouraged (alot!) and motivated. Perhaps your method may not be getting thru? Or else she is really slow of mind .... test her skills and if they aren't suited for the tasks, remove her.

I work in an office that has three unwritten rules:,(1) never be accountable for errors (2) If claiming accountable be sure to drag someone down with you and(3) deny , deny or act dumb.

our company trains by tieing cinder blocks and throwing you in the deep end. If you float or come up for air, your hired! Funny thing is... i've seen the things that float... and its not pretty :p

Supposedly the job market is flooded with (over)qualified jobseekers who are hungry to work hard. And this person is the best candidate your company could find?!

Are you leaving for greener pastures, or is this new-hire meant to ease your workload?

• Author

Shes been meant to ease the load but... shes really lazy and will avoid work at any cost...... also ive finally thrown her in the deep end and said sink or swim and Im not enabling anymore so well see what happens. As for applying skills shes learned... I almost think she has a learning disability.

Can you tell your boss?

Have you told her that she's expected to do more? I'm thinking it's kind of your job to be cluing her in on things like, for example, don't take two hours to do something that can be done a lot faster. And if she's not working out, it's up to you to tell your boss that she's not going to be able to take over your responsibilities. Why has this gone on for three months?

• Author

It was the agreement for us to give her three months to learn it all because shes slower. Thongs are still not sinking in however

Only two comments. If three days is all she agreed to upon hiring, then that shouldn't be changed unless she agrees to it.

Don't know what field you're in, but taking off to go shopping sounds more like someone who works for themself. Were hours not agreed upon, lunch breaks, vacation, etc. upon hiring?

Lastly, if she isn't the right fit, I know you've invested time training her, but you could just let her go and tell her you gave it 90 days and feel she's not the right fit. Then you'll have to train someone else, but if you find the right person, that won't be the grueling mess she has been.

I was trying to imagine where this lady got the idea that anything goes. So that's why I bring this strictly hypothetical up, because it's the only reason I can think of why she would be acting this way. I'd like to think it goes without saying never to hire based upon someone being young or attractive or anything other than their attitude and verifiable track record. Not to say young and attractive can't be great workers, but just in my 63 years, the only two reasons I've seen people taking liberties at work and thumbing their nose was because they know they were hired because the hirer had the hots for them or because they were golf buddies with the boss.

• Like 1

The only thing you need to do is look at her performance and signal to the management - the good and the bad.

Her being away from her desk for 2 hours is hurting the business. Her being upset with you is her own problem. Your role is to work with her, not be her friend.

Establish clear boundaries, talk about roles and responsibilities, give consistent feedback and suggest improvement points. Keep your boss in cc.

If she's underperforming, ask for a new replacement and ask to be involved in the recruitment process to make sure you control the selection quality.

Also - admit your responsibility to this situation - it appears that you shut up and kept doing her work until you've become close to burning out. And now that you're too overloaded you finally decide to accept the obvious and flag it. You NEED to work on this aspect of yourself. Accepting more work is enabling her bad behavior. Shutting up about her long breaks encourages her into thinking her long breaks are acceptable to you.

That's not the case. So talk. Act. Take measures.

• Like 1
I almost think she has a learning disability.

It was the agreement for us to give her three months to learn it all because shes slower.

Your company may have hired this worker from a program that serves developmentally disabled adults. For hiring and keeping a worker who has special needs, your company may be receiving tax credits and/or other incentives.

Beach guy, true!

I recall our HR training and company incentive. Bonus for hiring in certain diversities to show we were non discriminatory. The reality was... There was monies to be had by hiring based on ethenticity or disability. Reverse discrimination ... typical anymore...

I see no harm in getting ppl to work... let the skills match the aptitude though.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks guys. I am not saying im the smartest person on earth because I know im clearly not. I do however think theres something disabled about this lady. And im almost positive that we didn't hire her knowing she was slow as it was for an accounting position.

Thanks guys. I am not saying im the smartest person on earth because I know im clearly not. I do however think theres something disabled about this lady. And im almost positive that we didn't hire her knowing she was slow as it was for an accounting position.
Flag flag flag. Tough job.
  • Author

Yes it is a tough job but really I have given her time to learn and its gotten to the point where im so frustrated. Mostly because she doesnt work very hard not so much the slow learning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

So surprise surprise everyone. The slacker quit. Just when I had handed everything over to her. And had some real exoectations... she left.... just gone ... they hired another lady and now im screwed...need to re train all over again.

screwed how? Is this person equally unreliable? Set the stage and train with the understanding that they may actually do well. I can relate to being the new kid on the block... it was challenging to learn when others were jaded that I didn't have the gumption to excel! Proved that to be untrue.

Your blessed to have a career and that the company is giving you a helper.

My company is firing left and right... so more is dumped on the grunts.

Best way to train someone is to hand over everything within a month and let them come to you with question for the next two. You waste far less time this way and they quit sooner if they can't hack it.