Signed off work due to depression...at work

Hi all,

In a nutshell, my manager left about 3 weeks ago and we have no replacement at the moment. Me and my co-worker do not get on at all (never have) and whilst we can keep it professional, it is becoming more and more difficult to have patience with her. She is more senior than me but she constantly undermines me and my ability and lately has started to be really unprofessional (texting, making personal calls etc.). Her and my other direct co-worker have been deliberately withholding information from me and making me feel isolated and ignored, they have also started to plan social events and not invite me.

I was getting too upset being at work and the stress and anxiety it was bringing me was getting too much to bear (long history of depression) so i booked an appointment with my doctor and she has suggested i work from home for a week and my work has agreed this.

Right now i don't know how going back is going to be any better, i feel that without any manager in place they are going to continue to isolate me and my feelings of anxiety are going to get even worse.

Any suggestions?:(

• Like 1

Get your resume together & start looking for another job. That is actually the path of least resistance.

Meanwhile document, document, document.

Make sure all communication with these people is in writing. Send e-mails for everything & bcc yourself to a personal non work account so you have a record if your proficiency is ever called into Q. Meanwhile be proactive & speak to your absent manager's boss about the chain of command & what is expected in the manager's absence. If you have a good relationship with that person mention your co-worker's behaviors.

• Like 1

You need to change your mindset and focus purely on your job...not the others. As you don't get on with her...would you want to go to social events she was involved with anyway?

You don't have to be friends with your coworkers..... if they are withholding information that's required for your job.... I suggest you go to the overall departmental manager .... there must be someone there who is overseeing the team.

You could also put in a complaint to HR .... although without solid evidence it's doubtful anything can be done. It's about becoming more resilient and not letting them push you out. .. otherwise it's YOUR job that will be in jeopardy.

• Like 1

Lalocket,

This chronic stress would wear down anyone, it is not worth staying at a job with inconsiderate/hostile people. Work on your resume and start looking for another job.

Don't worry about those bitter miserable people ! Let them be their own problem :)

The quality of your life will change dramatically to the better staying away from people like them.

Sandylee suggested that if they are witholding information regarding your job so that they get you into trouble, see their manager. It's a great advice, maybe even document this with HR, while working on your resume and looking for another job. I WOULD !

Being sensitive might play with your mind making you question yourself why others treating you the way they do, what's wrong with you etc.

If you never gave reason for them to be like that with you, then it's on them, they are messed up and you shouldn't worry about them.

There are unhappy people out there thriving on making others unhappy.

What a sad existence, right? Move onto the next job !!! :) You will make friends there.