Wished I'd handled job rejection better

Hi! I was notified by a recruiter that a I got a position that I had interviewed for. After visiting the location, I knew that this job was not for me. I didn't like the environment which smelled strongly of curry/tumeric and was just grey cubicles as far as the eye could see. I also did not know that this job was for something that I don't have experience doing since the recruiter was not clear. He made me think it was something else other than what it was. I am a web designer and this job was for a business analyst. They said that knowledge of HTML was needed but I don't know if I could do this work.

When I got the call, I didn't know what to say. I had told family and friends that I would not take this job. I kept saying that I didn't think I was right for the job but the recruiter kept on and on saying how I was the perfect fit. It was a staffing agency, which gets money if I am hired, so he was VERY pushy. I kept making excuse after excuse to politely decline the job. He would not accept "no" for an answer and kept demanding to know why I was not taking the job. I finally said that I did not like how it smelled there. I blurted that out, not wanting to mention it. He cornered me and I just wanted to say something that would make him understand and move on to another candidate.

I wanted to maintain a good relationship with this staffing agency and the company so felt awful afterwards. The recruiter started making fun of my response as to why I didn't want the job. "You'd not like someone making a tuna sandwich or perfume!" and it sounded like he was laughing at me. I just wanted this miserable call to end.

I had never turned down a job before. I currently have a job and do have issues but a business analyst is not what I'd enjoy doing.

How can I handle the rejection of a job later? I learned my lesson here and will always ask up front for the job description before making any further moves.

I thought your post was going to be about job rejection, which I haven't dealt with well myself lately. May I ask why you applied for this position if you didn't think it would be a good fit? I have an issue with employers rejecting me...especially if the interview seemed to go so well.

#1 It sounds like your recruiter wasn't very professional...it's one thing to be a go getter and assertive, but being pushy, rude and unprofessional is another thing. In a sense, recruiters are salesmen. They make money off of you if you take the job. It also could indicate that there might be a fair amount of turnover in this role or company.

#2 Yikes, not a good way to reject a job, but it's passed and lesson learned. In the future, all that you need to relay to a recruiter is "I'm sorry, after much thought, I'm going to have to decline the job offer as I don't feel the job description and company culture would be the right fit." That's it. I've had some pushy recruiters try to push a job onto me after their client rejected the first temp. It was a red flag.

If they try and say anything else, reply with. "Unfortunately, I already made the decision to move on to other prospects...if a position opens up matching xyz, keep me posted."

Job offers don't come along often, so I don't think you need a well versed script, but keep it short and to the point. They don't need the details.

Edited by pink_sugar