No performance review in 2 years

Hi! I been with the company for 2 years and have not gotten a review. I was on maternity leave for 3 months and was informed that the company had one for everyone when I was gone.

Shouldn't I be given one now that I am back? I asked the manager twice verbally and was told he would get with the CFO. It is now Tuesday so I sent an e-mail to both him and the CFO this morning.

I have not gotten a response as of noon today. I don't feel like I'm valuable to this company if they can't even find the time to give me a review. I'd like to ask for a raise since I have learned several new skills. We have the added costs of the baby too but I won't bring that up. I have other interviews coming up so hopefully I can find another job.

This is a mom and pop company so is very unorganized and chaotic. The family members are the only ones who get high positions and they are incompetent in their roles.

If you think you'll always get a payrise just because you want to, you have another thing coming. Most companies set a particular time for reviews and I'm assuming you haven't been back for a full year yet from maternity? A calendar year at least for a payrise is standard unless you got promoted. The new skills should be for you, make you more employable somewhere else.

• Like 2

You mailed the CFO too? Ouch!

My first point of call would have been to my boss only via mail as you had asked verbally twice - no response after a week and then ask HR about it.

The mail you sent I wouldn't have sent personally but as it is I would give it about a week rather than a morning.

• Like 1
I don't feel like I'm valuable to this company if they can't even find the time to give me a review. I'd like to ask for a raise since I have learned several new skills. We have the added costs of the baby too but I won't bring that up. I have other interviews coming up so hopefully I can find another job.

This is a mom and pop company so is very unorganized and chaotic. The family members are the only ones who get high positions and they are incompetent in their roles.

Good for you scheduling other interviews. Explore other opportunities.

If it's a small place, odds are they don't do things by the book. They might also feel it might be unfair to properly evaluate you after having been gone for 3 months. What skills did you aquire? We all need more money for various reasons...just because you have a baby doesn't mean you will get priority over someone else in the company. My review was a few months late also...but we're also not by the book either.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

if you did not have a performance review in 2 years, you should get one for sure...I do not think that being away for 3 months should make much difference...

I believe you should ask for raise when you believe you deserve one: if you think it is after 3 months of work (you underestimated yourself initially) or 2 years (new skills, more valuable to company, etc)...we all work for money, including your boss/owner, etc.

look out for new job to give yourself more confidence on your review

if they value you it does not matter if you wrote first to you boss, CFO, etc...if they do not than it is better to move on

do not mention you need money for the baby, you need raise because you deserve one (better know why)

women are always afraid to ask for more, negotiate, etc.

Hi! I been with the company for 2 years and have not gotten a review. I was on maternity leave for 3 months and was informed that the company had one for everyone when I was gone.

Shouldn't I be given one now that I am back? I asked the manager twice verbally and was told he would get with the CFO. It is now Tuesday so I sent an e-mail to both him and the CFO this morning.

I have not gotten a response as of noon today. I don't feel like I'm valuable to this company if they can't even find the time to give me a review. I'd like to ask for a raise since I have learned several new skills. We have the added costs of the baby too but I won't bring that up. I have other interviews coming up so hopefully I can find another job.

Email HR if you don't get a response.

Mom & Pop companies don't work like Fortune 100 companies. The fact that they did performance reviews at all is amazing to me. I have owned my company for 10 years & have never done one. If my employees screw up I tell them right then & there. If they really screw up I fire them. If they do a good job I tell them that & give them a raise but there is no formality around it.

Your job, whatever your title, at bottom is to make your company's owners lives easier & more profitable. Bugging them to give you a performance review does not serve that purpose. All it does is highlight you as a disgruntled p.i.t.a.

Do your job. If nothing is said to you, assume you are doing fine. Keep some kind of records of your successes & accomplishments so that if you need to ask for a raise you can point to concrete reasons it's justified.

• Like 1