fitnessfan365

Does anyone have any networking advice they can offer?

For my personal training business, I've always relied on word of mouth and referrals. But I'm really trying to expand and grow my business beyond just being comfortable. So obviously this involves a lot of networking and self promotion. I'm just not very experienced at doing it. I've been told by various people that my approaches are "far too pushy".

Social selling is about building a relationship with people rather than hard core selling. Providing helpful free info for example, offering favours, contributing to linkedin groups. It's getting people to like you and think of you as a good guy. Being available to them when there is an opportunity

There must be meetup groups that can teach you networking dos and don'ts. No matter what type of business, it's the concept that matters

• Author
fitnessfan365

Thanks for the suggestions!

My usual process is this. I'll work for a gym, build a client base, and then eventually transition out with the majority following me. Then they spread the word and I get a lot of referral business. When things slow down due to outside circumstances like people moving away, losing jobs, etc I'll go back to work at another gym to rebuild.

I've been doing it this way for over eight years now and it's worked really well for me. But after going back to a gym part time recently, I've finally come to a place where I want to be independent on a permanent basis. This requires networking and marketing skills to constantly be rebuilding. Unfortunately I've never been great at social media, and the art of networking has always been lost on me..LOL I've always been really goal oriented. So the ability to get a sale, without going for one is hard for me.

Edited by fitnessfan365
  • Like 1

Sales have gone through a lot of change over the last few years because of networking sites such as LinkedIn. It allows you to be more subtle because it allows you to be in people's lives continuously.

I completely agree with Emilia that networking is about building relationships. Show people what you can do to help them achieve their goals.

Have you ever thought about signing up for marathons/walkathons etc where you could network with people who might be interested in working with a personal trainer? Suggest tips to improve on their speed etc. How about contacting the local law enforcement or corporations where employees have to pass pre-employment physical fitness test? How about posting fitness tips/routines on YouTube?

• Like 3

I wonder if social media would be good for you. Instagram or YouTube. I follow several trainers on those platforms, and it seems like a good way to let people see what you do.

• Like 2
Michelle ma Belle

I can help you with this one.

Get involved with a local charity event that involves some kind of fitness; walk, run, cycling, stair climb, mud run etc. Ask to sit on their committee and be part of the planning and development process. Help them develop a training program for their participants if they don't already have one. You will likely have to donate your services in order to "buy in" but the exposure, the connections and especially aligning yourself with a really great cause will work wonders for your business and raise your profile in your community.

I'm a fundraiser and have produced countless fundraising events including fitness events of every kind. One of biggest and most successful event is a mud/obstacle race similar to Warrior Dash and Spartan. It was a new event for my community which meant I needed to recruit a stellar team to help me launch the event properly and professionally. One of the key positions was to enlist the help of a personal trainer. A friend recommended someone to me and I met with him and felt he was a really good fit. I asked him to join the committee and not only help advise but provide training tips and motivation to my participants. He also emcee's the event on stage doing warm-ups before each heat and motivating people. He's become quite the fixture.

He has full access to all our social media pages and makes daily and weekly posts regarding fitness and training. He runs boot camps for registered participants that are complimentary but also extends discounts for those individuals and/or teams looking to ramp up their training and fitness. We even created an online downloadable program that people can use to train on their own time as well as YouTube training segments which further promotes him, his business and his alignment with my charity and fundraising event.

In the five years we've been working together, his business has more than tripled and still going strong. He's a recognizable professional in our community, an ambassador for our event and an invaluable member on the committee and ultimately to the success of the mud run.

Personally, it's an "easy" way to make connections in my opinion PLUS people love to see people giving back and doing good deeds. A win/win for everyone.

Something to think about anyway.

Good luck.

• Like 3

Another name for networking is relationship marketing. You are in essence selling yourself no matter what your actual product or service. There are tons of trainers out there. You are getting the people to pay you because they like YOU, not because you are the best or cheapest trainer. The value, you as a unique individual brings to the relationship is you.

Networking is a full time job so how much are you willing to devote to it? problem is, the 3 prime times for networking are also probably when your clients want to squeeze in a workout. If you attend a breakfast event, you miss the client who works out before work. You attend a luncheon you miss the client who devotes his/her lunch hour to working out. Same with a Happy Hour time; you miss the after work crowd.

My suggestion is you find 3 good / active groups that meet at those times & you schedule one each per week so you have 3 appointments every week to work on your business, not in it.

One of the better techniques but it takes a while is to give referrals more then you ask for them. Instead of saying how can I get you to work out with me, when you meet new people ask them what kind of clients they are seeking & do your best to find them a new client.

In the short term to get clients more quickly, consider joining a referral group like BNI. BNI International - Business Networking and Referrals They have weekly meetings. You are punished for not attending & you have to give referrals at every meeting.

Follow up is important too. When you get somebody's card, take a minute after the meeting to jot down info about them. Store what you know in a data base. Send the person a note after you meet them jogging their memory. E-mail works but if you can work in a promotion -- remind me that we met at _____ & get 10% off your 1st session or get a free sports bottle. (You would previously have ordered some marketing thing with your contact info. )

• Like 1
  • Author
fitnessfan365

Thanks everyone for such AWESOME suggestions.

Michelle, I REALLY like that idea about the charity event. The main reason why I got into training was to help with battling obesity and to pay it forward. So your idea sounds rewarding from that standpoint. It also would put me in front of a ton of my target demographic. As I mentioned before, after eight years of rotating between gyms and independent based on word of mouth, I've been comfortable but never tapped my full potential.

LA - My GF tells me the same thing because she's very big into social media with how she promotes her hair styling business. Reluctantly she convinced me to create an official training Facebook page last year. I'll admit that it's helped. But in general, I've never liked social media. I don't do Instagram, Twitter, "Snap Chat", etc.. Plus, I've always been kind of camera shy so workout videos make me uneasy. I think one reason why I've always loved personal training is because it's on a smaller scale. I won't say I have social anxiety or anything like that. I can talk to anyone. But huge groups of people make me a bit uncomfortable. I've always preferred to help people in a smaller/steady setting.

Just Add Ice - I've actually tried reaching out to local law and fire because I had the same idea. But I've always been told that they have in house people that help with fitness. Recently I reached out to a local high school and am in talks w/the athletic director. Off season conditioning is starting up for the football team soon, and I may be hired on as a strength/conditioning coach.