Am I crazy for doing this?

Hi! I recently had the opportunity to greatly advance my career and I decided to take it. The hours and work are crazy right now, but if I can put up with it for a couple of years, I'll be set up great for the rest of my life!

My job consists of entertaining clients all day. I show them around the city, and kind of give them a tour to show what we have to offer. I do things to keep them interested in my company and to get them excited. Then later in the night, I spend the evening showing them the nightlife. I take them dancing and things like that. It's a great job, however, like I mentioned, the hours are brutal. Each tour lasts around an hour, and I'll usually have between 10 and 12 clients to show before the end of the day. I have to be at the office no later than 5:30 in the morning, and I'm usually giving tours or playing hostess until 10 or 11 at night. If I'm lucky, I'll get a chance to take a break throughout the day, but most days I'm working straight through...on my feet...17-18 hours a day...needless to say I'm coffee and advil my best friends right now lol.

To further complicate matters, I must be in business attire the entire day. As I was hired on as a spokesmodel, my bosses want me to look good while showing the clients around town, so they usually pick out my outfits. The only complaint I have are the shoes they pick out. Usually a pair of 5 inch pumps or something stupid like that. Needless to say, after I've walked the city for the 12th time that day, and then I've been out dancing with them for 6 or 7 hours, my feet HURT ! I literally walked over 35 miles yesterday! I've been doing this for a few weeks now, and it feels like I'm walking barefoot on hot rocks everywhere I go. I've even resorted to walking (hobbling is more like it lol) home in slippers to try and give me feet as much of a break as I can.

Now I really want to try and stick this job out. Like I said, the girls that have done this before me have been able to move into very lucrative positions. That being said, am I crazy for wanting to pursue this? If anyone has any tips that would help me survive these hours, I would be very grateful! Thank you!

If anyone has any tips that would help me survive these hours, I would be very grateful! Thank you!

I used to do something very similar to this and it made me a ton of money (pity it is all gone now!).

How I survived:

- Cut back on coffee. Seriously. You will grow to rely on it and when you don't get it, you will have really horrible head-aches.

- Drink more power shakes that include kale, wheatgrass, and vitamins.

- Cut back on alcohol. It will dehydrate you and make you look older faster.

- Drink a LOT of water. Always have a bottle of water with you...

- Learn to PowerNap. Can't tell you how often I would go and sit in my car and sleep for 20 or 30 minutes in the middle of the day. VERY invigorating!

- Get massages - at least once a week.

- Buy yourself more comfortable shoes. Who says you have to wear the 5" heels they give you?

The shoes are ridiculous.

Get a pair of lower more comfortable heels. Take the stupid shoes to your doctor & get that person to write a note saying they are bad for your back. take both pairs of shoes back to your bosses with the note & tell them you have developed a bad back & under the Americans with Disabilities Act they have to give you a "reasonable accommodation" of allowing you to wear more sensible shoes.

• Like 1
  • Author
Buy yourself more comfortable shoes. Who says you have to wear the 5" heels they give you?

Thank you for the advice! It's nice to hear from people who go through the same thing!

My bosses usually pick out my outfits, which unfortunately includes the shoes. However, I'll see if I can talk them into letting me wear at least some lower heels! I've looked into cushions too, which seems to be helping a little bit.

I have one more suggestion with the shoes. Take them to a good cobbler and have them all fitted with "crepe" bottom souls and heel. That's what they call it. It looks like rubber and will make walking more comfortable on any shoe. Mine was about 3/8" or a quarter-inch, I think. If there is room on the interior of the shoe, also have them put in some padding there. I promise it will help. But no one should be in heels all day, so carry a couple of pairs of dressy flats with pointy toes in your car or purse and switch out to give yourself some relief. Put the heels on for the nighttime.

Also, I'm sure you know platform style heels are more comfortable. Look for ones with elevation at the soul and toe and not just the heel. Also, in addition to flats, buy a nice pair of wedges that are comfortable and switch to those. If your employer flips out, just tell them you won't ruin your feet and back for life by wearing heels all the time.

I wouldn't change the shoes, I would change the hours. You're wearing shoes that look good, but how good can you look when you're tired? When you're beat, you're not as engaging, your smile not as genuine when in pain, that looks bad for you. Are most of the clients male? Do any female clients sympathize?

Spending that many hours in shoes like that can, and will do lasting damage to your body.

Studies have shown not only do they hurt your back, cause achillies to shorten, damage your feet, but will also add years of damage to your knees.

Might be all fun and games now, but knee surgery in your 40's isn't much fun either.

I would figure out how to change the shoes... This is one of the things I am pretty mind boggled over - that woman are expected to wear such hobbles, while men who never subject themselves to that much pain and damage in the name of beauty.

I love some heels for a night out on the town, bit the hours you are describing are excessive, and your body will pay the price.

Our health has a huge value, I would rather have less money, and good health, than a painful, damaged body and more money.

• Like 1

Carry a pair of small flats in your bag and change your shoes immediately when you are out of your clients' sight. Ruining your feet isn't just ugly, it ruins your posture. That's why so many women walk like an old lady