I work from home, so my commute involved going to the kitchen to make coffee and then back to bed.

Although, I have had commutes in the past that were upwards of an hour.

I read somewhere that most successful people have less than a 15 minute commute to work. I think that's bunk because everywhere has traffic nowadays.

I mostly work at home, but I am on call for an office that is 25 minutes each way. I got through some hard times in earlier years by making a practice of living within walking distance of work so that I didn't get fired if my old car broke down and it also afforded me more time, so I took a second job. Commute time, all those hours could be used enjoying life or resting or taking a second job for more money. So I say until you buy a house, stay right by where you mostly work. And when you buy a house, get as close as possible, but of course job status can change. When I job-hunt, I don't look outside of a 30-minute radius. I need to be able to come home at lunch sometimes when the dogs get old or sick and check on and medicate.

GunslingerRoland
I read somewhere that most successful people have less than a 15 minute commute to work. I think that's bunk because everywhere has traffic nowadays.

I live in a medium sized City and I know very few people who live within a 15 minute commute. My 30 minute commute is one of the shorter ones of people I know.

GorillaTheater

About 8 miles/15 minutes. Luckily for me, I live east of the city, and my building is on the eastern edge of the city. Not much in-town commuting at all.

Currently a 7 minute walk to work. That'll likely change in 6 months- but it's quite nice at the moment being able to get home quickly. However I do miss the unwinding time I used to have with a longer commute to work/ places of study

• Like 1
About 8 miles/15 minutes. Luckily for me, I live east of the city, and my building is on the eastern edge of the city. Not much in-town commuting at all.

I've got a similar set up, but the detour to drop a kid off at school adds about 10 minutes to the process.

Half hour each way unless it's summer because then I have to deal with tourists who don't know that not everyone is on vacation plus all the pedestrians that stop traffic because they just dodge out in front of cars because they do know some people have someplace to go and don't want to be detained by running them over.

The best are those who stick a baby stroller into traffic. I think one day I will stick my dog in a baby stroller to try that.

Mine is 30 minutes in the morning (door to desk) but 45-1 hour at night during season. I live in Florida on the gulf coast and the winter months are brutal down here as far as traffic is concerned. At least I'm not driving on any expressways.

Yeah usually I work from my bed and no I'm not a prostitute! :p

I just work at home and I prefer to work from my laptop on my bed vs. sitting at my desk.

But I do show up to our corporate office a few days per month. It's a 45 minute flight.

• Like 1
How many parsecs does it take you to make the Kessel run?

Even Lucas admitted this one was a mistake, a parsec is a measure of distance, not time:

A parsec (symbol: pc) is a unit of length used to measure large distances to objects outside the Solar System. One parsec is the distance at which one astronomical unit subtends an angle of one arcsecond. A parsec is equal to about 3.26 light-years (31 trillion kilometres or 19 trillion miles) in length.

Mr. Lucky

acrosstheuniverse

Not long. I am at a different location each day but it's rarely further than 15 miles, takes around 25-30 minutes depending on traffic. I like the journey, it's chance to clear my head and listen to music or a podcast.

Being a freelancer, my work place changes constantly.

But never less than 30 minutes, usually about an hour. And that's by public transport. No one* drives in London.

*sweeping generalisation that is mostly accurate, nonetheless

Door to door? About an hour and a half. Each way.

Drive a few miles to the train station. Then it's one train for about an hour. Then light rail or walk a few miles in San Francisco before reaching the office. Rinse and repeat to get back home.

Plenty of time to get into too much trouble ;)

• Like 2
How long (in time) is your commute to work each way?

I try to set up businesses around my life since I detest wasting time commuting.

Since the turn of the century, I've been able to work in bed, so 0'0". :D

Realistically, 25 feet over to a different spot though.

Since about 2002, I've had vpns and telcom stuff that allows all employees the same freedoms, as well as had an mp3 music server that all employees uploaded all our music to, containing several weeks of music, if you hit "shuffle, do not repeat."

I'm very well liked by my employees.

My management philosophy is, "Do w.e. the F you want, as !ong as all the work gets done well."

Edited by loveweary11

My current commute door to desk is 15-20 minutes (about 8 miles), depending on freeway traffic. If I go into the office on a weekend, cut that down to about 12 minutes. Zoooooooom!

Good timing... my new job distance is really bothering me.

I live in one of the largest metropolitan centers served by numerous trains. In the past 10 years I've been lucky to work 15 min by subway from my house. My new job is now 30-40 minutes door to door and it's driving me... NUTS. I am not a morning person which makes it even more annoying trying to get there in a decent time. And some moron booked phone conferences 3x a week that start at 9am. Ahhh someone please shoot me.

• Like 1