Feeling underappreciated and taken advantage of

So I'm not sure how familiar with Yelp you guys are, but I am part of a Yelp elite group where there are parties and such for people who tell are serious about reviewing places on Yelp. Anyhow, I also do Yelp for part of my job. Once my job found out about the parties I go to and my explaining to them how it works...(businesses hosting parties with food to gain attention and business), my boss told me to connect with the manager of these parties. So I requested info from him for my boss on how to go about doing this. Basically, after that, two other people were put in charge on making this party happen. They still asked me questions once in a while about what these parties were like. I felt a little strange that considering my experience with these events, they did not have my planning insight. Of course the PR person being a part of it was a given, but then also the owner's son was the other planner...despite no experience. So a day or two before the party, the owner's son had previously advised me that I may have to work the party.OK. I have worked previous parties we have hosted and they adjust my schedule as they don't want me going over 30 hours. Fine. I told the owner's son yesterday that HR would have to approve the time. To which he found out and told me this would be "voluntary help". I told him I would get back to him on it as I wasn't 100% sure. But they acted suddenly as if it was my obligation to stay another several hours and help after my shift since I am the Yelp person..for free...after giving me zero credit for being the one who got the idea for this whole thing in the first place. They kept referring to it as "my" event and how I should be there, though I was never involved in any of the planning! They pay me scraps hourly and don't include me in the planning and then act as if I am obligated to help for FREE? I would feel more inclined if I had a somewhat respectable salary and felt as if my contributions were more recognized and valued. But I just feel resentful about it. I am actively looking for other work, but I needed to get this off of my chest. One of my co-workers told me how in the meeting that I drove one of our social media networks to over 300% . I never seem to hear about any of this. I'm only called into the office to be nagged at for not picky things. Another thing I don't like about this place is the office politics and cliques...that's a whole other issue.

Edited by pink_sugar

Sounds like they were ready walking all over you.

Therefore your best bet once they found out about you and Yelp you should have told them to go look into it themselves.

Al of us have 100% hindsight though..

You are not obliged so do not do it unless you want to.

Meanwhile, keep looking for a new job..

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Good news! My manager pulled me aside today and told me they couldn't have organized it without me and they had given me a gift card as a token of appreciation. It wasn't much, but it was great feeling appreciated.:cool: