Not kissing ass

fitnessfan365

Three months ago, I took a part time job as a staff personal trainer at a gym to supplement my income a bit. I'm still doing well independently, but trying to build my savings up. The gym is part of a company that owns high end expensive gyms all over CA (average member makes $250,000 or more per year). But up until seven months ago, our location used to be owned by another gym chain that was high volume/low cost. When membership dues more than doubled to $150 p/month and training rates sky-rocketed ($105 p/hr and $1200-$8000 training packages) the club lost 60% of its members.

We're still in the same low cost demo, but expected to perform the same as the other clubs because of the label. There's two main problems. 1) The majority of people we deal with are old club members. They stayed on out of loyalty to the location and legitimately can't afford training. 2) Since we're not established, the club is struggling to bring in new members that can afford the cost. Each trainer has been getting 1-2 new member assessments per month max.

The GM sent out an email blasting the training staff because we're at 50% of our sales goal heading into the end of the month. We don't have enough intensity, need to dig deeper, all the other clubs are succeeding so we should be too, etc.. Now the smart money would've been to either not respond, or to write back with a head down/kiss ass mentality. But as a team, we've been working our asses off trying to generate revenue and the numbers don't reflect this. So to stand up for the staff, I responded respectfully yet honestly. My hope was to shed some light on the current status of the gym and to make expectations a bit more realistic. It DID NOT go over well. Not putting in enough effort, it's not the rates, it's our lack of selling skills, etc.. I was almost let go because of my "negativity". My inability to kiss ass and blindly put up with company BS has always gotten me into trouble. It's why I've always preferred being an entrepreneur.

Edited by fitnessfan365

I think what you did demonstrated integrity and honesty.

If the company didn't get your point, thats their problem.

• Like 1
  • Author
fitnessfan365
I think what you did demonstrated integrity and honesty.

If the company didn't get your point, thats their problem.

Thanks man. In the end I agree that it's the company's problem. It's just hard to stomach being told that you lack "selling skills" trying to sell $1200-$8000 training packages to members that used to be paying $50 per month dues and $600 for ten packs. Another 'critique" was that we're not doing enough out reach and marketing in the area to bring in new members. Now I know they'd prefer to have us doing this during non training hours for minimum wage. But it's not our job as personal trainers to be door to door salesman bringing in new gym traffic.

As an expensive company w/unlimited resources, they should hire a marketing team and put money into actual advertising.

• Like 2

If the target demographic doesn't support the company pricing structure, heh, why are they there anyway? Did they invent a blood from turnips extraction device?

IMO, good on ya for giving them a straight shot from your marketing and business perspective. On to the next job. No sense in beating this horse. It's dead.

• Author
fitnessfan365
If the target demographic doesn't support the company pricing structure, heh, why are they there anyway? Did they invent a blood from turnips extraction device?

IMO, good on ya for giving them a straight shot from your marketing and business perspective. On to the next job. No sense in beating this horse. It's dead.

I was told that the company inherited the location to have a weigh station to send clients from other clubs when renovations are done. One of the clubs in my city needs to have the carpeting on the fitness floor replaced within the next year. So when they shut it down they'll send those members to us.

That's why our club is kind of stuck in permanent limbo. All the higher ups can see is the company label. They aren't being realistic about location, demographic, lack of advertising, etc.. In their minds if a member is paying the dues, they have the money. But a lot of the older members are forcing themselves to pay the higher dues because of their history with the location. They were part of a tight knit community inside the gym and all know each other. So it's more about wanting to stick with what you know and are comfortable with. With other locations that have a ton of amenities like tennis, golf, swimming pools, rich people pay the big money for the resort experience. But all we have is a nice polished workout facility. So people with access to all the facilities that have the money, aren't going to pay the same for less.

Edited by fitnessfan365

Try to get into the records and get the names and phone numbers of all the members who left. Then call and offer them personal training at their homes. Tell your boss to shove it hahaha.

Thanks man. In the end I agree that it's the company's problem. It's just hard to stomach being told that you lack "selling skills" trying to sell $1200-$8000 training packages to members that used to be paying $50 per month dues and $600 for ten packs. Another 'critique" was that we're not doing enough out reach and marketing in the area to bring in new members. Now I know they'd prefer to have us doing this during non training hours for minimum wage. But it's not our job as personal trainers to be door to door salesman bringing in new gym traffic.

Are you sure about that?

I ask because, when I was a trainer for a club, I was expected to do whatever it took, including signing up new members, in order to meet my quota.

The main reason I quit training is because I wasn't a salesperson. Ultimately, no one cared if my clients got the results they wanted - the only metric used to evaluate my performance was revenue to the club.

I know all about sales jobs. I succeeded in one despite their ridiculous methods. No matter how well you do, they will always keep raising the goal. It will never be, Ah, we have hit the sweet spot. They will never be in a position of paying many commissions or bonuses or pay raises, so when people succeed, they will simply raise the goal so they don't have to pay more commission.

The very people doing this know full well what they're spouting is a load of crap. It's solely intended to keep you pushing and keep them from having to pay out too much while make huge profits. The person who says "Rah, rah" and acts enthusiastic in the face of this load of crap is the person they like because they don't want to have to deal with kickback from a system they already know is dishonest with unrealistic expectations. So happy is as happy does. You either keep your face on and take what you can or just leave. You can't change the system.