copyright work in portfolio

JustGettingBy

I'm trying to start a career, and since my education is a blend of tv broadcasting and public relations, digital media seems like a perfect field for me, and is something I enjoy.

Most job postings in this field state that you need to submit a 'portfolio' of your work (I have a personal website) but due to lack of experience in field, my stuff is limited to what I did in college. I'm trying to add stuff to it on my own time, and would like to use concepts/ideas/characters from famous fictional sources to make it more enjoyable for me. Would using these as a basis get me in trouble for use in a portfolio when I don't intend to 'sell' these ideas? Would creating a disclaimer such as "this is a for-practice-only-not-for-profit-video based of Star Wars which owned by Disney, I do not own any of the characters or settings, please support the owner of this property" be a way to save myself from any possible problems?

The answer's probably in the copyrights of the properties, which should say pretty clearly what is and isn't permissible.

My guess is it would be a no go, both in terms of copyright and you potentially showing a lack of judgment w/regard to stuff like that.

• Like 1

I wouldn't do it.

By all means create some new work to show, but don't use pre-existing characters that might have a copyright infringement. Truly, it would look more like fan-fiction and probably be taken less seriously anyway.

With your background in television and public relations and concern for copyright issues, why not build yourself a brand like the toy lady on YouTube did. She reported makes a few million a year just off of YT for reviewing toys for kids. I think it's all Disney stuff. Every last item is trademarked, copyrighted or patented. However, reviews are fine. Heh.

IMO, original creative ideas are the easiest to market to someone as value for one's talent. Start small and word of mouth and social media (today) can grow one's brand, whether you are seeking employment or freelancing/consulting.

When I look back at the stuff that brought in the most customers and money, it's been my innovations which did it, in some cases for many years, since no one wanted to figure out how I was doing what I was doing. People, and employers, will reach for value when they perceive it, and it's up to you, any of us, to grow our own value. Sure, at some point, aggressive folks steal value but it's a great way to get squished by the big players if one tries too much too soon. One step at a time.

you should be using your own ideas and creativity to create more projects for your portfolio. it doesn't show much creativity to borrow from the ideas of others and then slap a disclaimer on it. use the concepts/ideas, etc. from companies as inspiration, but stay away from using their work in any way. their items are obviously under copyright, of course, and using a disclaimer doesn't reverse that at all.