This office is dysfunctional.

I work for a doctor. His wife is his business manager :lmao:. Whatever. She's been here for 3 years, I've been here for 6. I'm not bitter, even though I may sound like it. :D

Anyway. There are 5 of us. The doctor, the nurse, the receptionist, the business manager and myself. All of us are full-time except the wife. She comes and goes as she pleases, and I'm not being sarcastic.

The nurse is pregnant. Soooooo, she's going on 3 month maternity leave. Our receptionist is going to be our nurse, because she wants to be a nurse in a secret life....idunno. But she's not a nurse, but she's going to be ours. :rolleyes:

So our patients are very used to us, our system. Now when they walk in, the receptionist will be playing nurse. The wife (Business Mgr) will be answering the phones WHEN SHE IS ACTUALLY HERE. She's very nosey, and is a walking conflict of interest. The receptionist and I try to keep her as far away from the patients as possible. She'll be offering to transport them, bending over backwards (tackily), whatever it takes to keep her husband's patient's. She's desperate for business, as his wife of course.

Anyway, I'm just pissy. They could've atleast mentioned it. :rolleyes: Now I'll be doing her job when she doesn't come in (because she IS the wife and doesn't have to), and it would've been nice to atleast KNOW. But no, this morning, the damn phones are ringing off the hook, like total chaos and no receptionist is to be found. The receptionist is off playing nurse. And the wife is doing whatever in the f*ck she wants just because she can. The doctor is clueless and stupid, as most are.

This makes me hate this place. I want a normal workplace where you're hired to do a job and it stays like that. I can't believe our receptionist is getting temporarily promoted to nurse. To schedule surgeries, take histories, fit for diabetic shoes, everything.

This is so stupid to me. I'm sorry I'm ranting.

Good Luck at finding your Office Eden! and let me know when and where!

every office, i am sure, has some degree of disfunctional people.

my office, a municipality, is governed internally by nepotism and sexism- you gotta have a penis to make it anywhere.

Lucky for me, a cuter younger worker, there are alway openings in the "Try-to-sleep-to-get-what-you-want Department" although, i do not want to go there, plus i hear it is not alway a guarantee.

• Author

No. :( K and I went to look for one, we found one, but I'm too depressed about it. I don't feel like taking care of it either. Everytime I leave work at night, I'm like, thank God I don't have to feed that f*ckin frog. lol.

I hardly have anything to bitch about at work. But this pisses me off. ARRRGH. I just wish they would've atleast frickin mentioned it. But I'd still bitch about it.

She (the wife) has been working at the reception area today and her cell phone's been ringing all morning ...lmao...we've got signs up all over the waiting room that says please turn your cell phone to silent mode. Hers has rang like 5 times, no joke.

There are generally two ways to look at things. It isn't always a walk in the park for a relative to work in a family-owned business. Let's face it, would you WANT to be related to the people you work with? Would you want to leave, but be faced with the loyalty issue and feelings of guilt?

As far as a dysfunctinal office . . . please explain to me why a boss will call in for messages, then make the other person wait while he gets his pen, then make the other person wait while he gets something to write on, then NOT CALL the customer who left the message?

Tiki: I would let the doctor know that the office could use another person. He could be focused on what he's doing and thinking that "The Little Woman" is taking care of things. I REALLY don't understand the receptionist playing nurse. If I was a patient, I'd be uncomfortable and upset with that arrangement. Now, I wonder if my doctor's nurse is a real nurse . . .

• Author

I know. I'm assuming she'll be drawing up meds (injectables) and everything. It's scary to me, but I know her learning curve. I've tried to teach her my job and she's failed miserably. And the sad thing is, she's such a good receptionist. She's an older lady from a very VERY small town, knows lots of people and is very naive. She'll talk to them, interact with them...crap like that, where as I'd just tell them to **** off.

And they all know her. No doubt. Almost all of our patients are returning patients. They know she's the receptionist! But she's the nurse. :confused:

She's so proud of herself, you can tell. She's prancing around acting like she's a nurse. She's a much better receptionist.

OMG, am I just in a foul mood or what?

Every so often I go through this and want another job. :o

Hmmm . . . I wonder what an anonymous call to say . . . oh . . . the insurance company or the state licensing bureau would do . . .

The DOCTOR is setting himself up for a malpractice suit if she makes a mistake. And beyond that, my SIL is an RN and carries malpractice insurance herself. (I don't know if that is state law, or her choice.)

Merins Medical Office puts the *Fun* back in disfunction.. Cr :eek: p!

Doctors.. and thier Wives.. got to love it.

When the Docs Wife calls here she will ask for someone to put down on "Dads" (what SHE calls him) schedule that there is a Family camp trip planned.. um.. okay.

OR she will call ask for the *Doctor* then say.. Just tell him "Mom" called... :confused:

Hello I'm Merin I'll be your receptionist..

ALSO your surgical assistant..

ALSO your camp planner..

AND therapist...

All of this.. at no cost to you.. when will I be getting paid anyway?!

LOL damn!

Sorry Tiki.. wish I could offer more.. but yeah.. Doctors.. wierd.

Originally posted by tiki

lol...doctor's wives, weirder.

:laugh: Yeah, you're a jack of all trades, eh?

Ugh.. F :sick: ckers!

Still..

No..

I was going to look at the bright side...

Uh...

It's almost Friday :confused:

Hey Tiki I've got an idea.. tell the Doctor you've always wanted to be a Doc and then you can have the receptionist/nurse to order around.. it'll be sweet :laugh:

• Author

He's really a nice fella, bless his heart. Well, kinda. Anyway, this whole sitchie is demented. I just didn't know if I was having a b*tch moment. You know, we have those every once in a while. ;)

Now, I wonder if my doctor's nurse is a real nurse . . .

Most of the time, the "nurses" in doctor's offices are not licensed nurses. They are usually Medical Assistants, who may or may not be "certified", meaning they have taken an exam that shows they have the basic knowledge to be a Medical Assistant. Because they are not licensed Medical Assistants work under the doctor's license, so if the Med. Asst. messes up it is the doctor that is liable.

Tiki, I'm surprised that the doctor you work with is willing to take on that responsibility. At least Medical Assistants have usually received some training in how to give meds, draw blood, etc. Has the receptionist had any training in doing that stuff?

• Author

No. :)

I'm a registered medical assistant, worked as one for 3 yrs and had a change of heart. Our nurse is a CMA. Our receptionist went to school a few years back to be what she is now (a receptionist), which I've never really understood. Why do you go to school to be a receptionist? Anyway, no.

• Author

Yeah, here in TN it's all jacked up. We once had a courier for SmithKline Laboratories that came around and did a pick up every day. I got to know her pretty well. She drove around all day and picked up blood and specimens. Next thing I know, I'm having a baby and she's in the hospital drawing my blood. I was like, huh? Nelda? Is that you?! You were a courier...."yeah, I know, I got trained". WTF????? :eek: She did a pretty good job though. :laugh:

But here in TN it's rampid. None of the nurses are nurses or have any training, they just get *promoted*.

We had one girl that worked her, she gave injections. She was a ...um, how do I say this?...a "nothing"?!

It's like the doctors don't care. I read an article recently called janitor one day, phlebotomist the next. Very true!

• Author

I know, and you can't tell them sh*t.

His wife was making the medical decisions for quite some time, before we got our nurse. "You better not give him any more meds" "You need to give an injection to room 3"... blah blah blah. She told me many times "I can do everything he can but the surgeries". She was LITERALLY making his medical decisions. He's such a pussy.

• 1 month later...
  • Author

Okay, I'm not trying to bitch, but I have to vent.

She keeps pulling patients back, and they keep asking her about changing positions. Like, "Are you the new nurse?!" :eek:

She keeps saying the same thing over and over...."We're just seeing if you're paying attention". I've heard it three times already JUST TODAY. :rolleyes:

Our patients are sooooo confused.

And she's happy as a clam. She's walking around humming, just happy as can be. She's like this only when she plays nurse. It's so weird. :confused:

Sorry, had to vent.

/rant

laRubiaBonita
Originally posted by tiki

Okay, I'm not trying to bitch, but I have to vent.

She keeps pulling patients back, and they keep asking her about changing positions. Like, "Are you the new nurse?!" :eek:

She keeps saying the same thing over and over...."We're just seeing if you're paying attention". I've heard it three times already JUST TODAY. :rolleyes:

Our patients are sooooo confused.

And she's happy as a clam. She's walking around humming, just happy as can be. She's like this only when she plays nurse. It's so weird. :confused:

Sorry, had to vent.

/rant

POWER-TRIP CITY!!!!!!

you should get her a flower for Nurses Day! haha~ :D:D

We're just seeing if you're paying attention

:lmao:

You should leave for lunch and not return for hours and when you do and she asks say

"just seeing if you were paying attention"

jk

lol

sorry you have to deal with that a$$clown