scattered brained boss

suddenlyseymour

Hello everyone. This is my first post here and hoping some folks can lend some helpful advice. Lately, i (and my coworkers) have grown frustrated with our boss. We're a team of 4. Typically her and i were work at the main corporate office where the other 2 work in satellite offices. One office is about an hour away, the other is on the west coast. She has been very scattered brained lately and its taking its toll on us and we're not sure how to get her straightened out. Our team has seen a lot of turnover in the past year. My one coworker has been with the team for about 8 mos, the other 4 months.Outside of our boss, I am the most tenured member of the team (5 years) and been asked to speak with her. Here are a few examples

• She spends 90% of her time on one project, 10% on everything else. Problem is this project that she is so dedicated is pretty much complete and doesnt need as much TLC. We have an employee onsite to support whatever issues remain, but she still just jump when there is an issue with this project and doesn't allow the clients to do their job independently.
  • This causes issues because the big wigs know this project is complete so now we have a ton of new things to focus on, but she doesnt seem to care or focused on them all. She ignores their emails, so they come to me and ask if she has read their emails or worse they want me to answer for her which would totally be stepping on her toes. I bring up their concerns, she talks about it briefly then changes the subject
  • We ask her questions about certain topics and future projects, she starts to answer, then gets distracted and leaves us in the lurch. We're all like what just happened here?
  • We had a team breakfast planned with one of our coworkers at the close satellite office. She didnt make it. Claimed she forgot. This wasnt the first time she mysteriously forgot a planned team gathering.
  • New coworkers are looking for priorities set for them. Our boss has yet to sit them down so they have no idea what their expectations are.
  • She got upset with me today wondering why i was working from the satellite office instead of the main office. She never once told me to work from the main office. I've been working from the satellite office all week and pretty much everyday for the past 3 months.
  • Took a long lunch today which was fine, but rushed back because she forgot she had a conference call so she had to take part of it in her car.

She's acted this way before, but this time it is more magnified because of the amount of projects coming our way which she doesn't seem prepared for. How can I talk to her about this? I am afraid she might get offended and tell me to stuff it. Yes, I've been there the longest and probably should take some of this off her plate, but she in the past, likes to be involved with everything. She just is lacking communication big time. Which wasn't always the case. Possible job burnout? I think the main issue is that she is spending so much time focusing on a project that doesnt need as much attention and she is losing sight of what is to come..and when the s hits the fan, guess who'll prob have to clean it up? Yep, ur looking at him:(

Sorry for the long post.

Edited by suddenlyseymour

You have worked with her for 5 years? Is this how she has always hàndled things? Or this is new behavior? She is your boss, does that mean she has been in this type of job longer than you?

• Author
suddenlyseymour

Hi,

Yes she's acted this way before for little spurts here and there. This time it's been going on for about a month and half. And yes she's had this job longer than me, going on 10 years in this position.

I am the most tenured member of the team (5 years) and been asked to speak with her.

If you like having a job don't do that...she is your boss and speaking to her about her negative behavior will only go bad...

Am I correct that you are not able to do YOUR job because of her ? or the other team members don't like her and are going to use you to create or effect change for them ?

Chances are her boss is aware of the change since she has been there 10 years.

I wouldn't do anything unless it impacts YOUR ability to make a living.

Plant the seed and watch it grow.

A gentle statement of "I noticed recently that ( insert concerns), Is there any reason for concern? . Then let them respond.

• Author
suddenlyseymour
If you like having a job don't do that...she is your boss and speaking to her about her negative behavior will only go bad...

Am I correct that you are not able to do YOUR job because of her ? or the other team members don't like her and are going to use you to create or effect change for them ?

Chances are her boss is aware of the change since she has been there 10 years.

I wouldn't do anything unless it impacts YOUR ability to make a living.

I agree. It hasn't affected my ability to do my job...yet. My only gripe was her being upset with me for being at the satellite office when she never said to not be there. And yes, I feel the team members want me to create and effect change for them. They do like her, but with each passing day, they feel she is shirking some of her development responsibilities. I'll be back at the main office for the majority of the week this week while she'll be at the satellite. I plan on laying low. Her real shock to reality is when the meetings about these new initiatives start soon. Lets just hope she's prepared...

• Author
suddenlyseymour
So she knows how to do the job.

Sometimes it turns out to be a drinking problem or depression.

I was thinking it could be depression. January is an odd month for her and us with work. Holidays are over, her birthday is in a few days. She has been complaining about an increase in migraines and stomach problems. I don't want to go all "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??":) But, I would like to demonstrate and convey that I care.. and will be willing to help her if she needed anything professionally or personally.

I get that you're frustrated, but it's not your place to correct your superiors. You don't "straighten out" your boss. If she's missing meetings or not spending her time wisely, that's not really your business - especially since it hasn't affected your ability to do your job.

I don't think you should talk to her on your coworkers' behalf. If they have an issue, they can talk to her themselves. This is so not your responsibility and it's kind of annoying that your coworkers are asking you to be their mouthpiece. What, they're afraid of getting in trouble so they'd like for you to take the fall? Don't do it.

But, I would like to demonstrate and convey that I care.. and will be willing to help her if she needed anything professionally or personally.

Eh, be careful about getting involved in her personal life. But I think it would be nice to ask if there's any work you can take off her plate or any projects you can help with.

Also, and this might be a wild idea but I'll throw it out anyway. Could this be a good opportunity for you, career-wise? If she takes you up on your offer of help, maybe you could eventually be in a position to ask for a raise or advance to a higher position? Maybe there's room for an assistant-manager-type position. People already come to you when they can't get answers from her, so it seems like there's a possibility people already see you as her number two. Something to think about, maybe.

• Like 1

Exactly what Cc12 said regarding you being the assistant manager (or being the new manager if they fire her).

Really sounds like problems at home or other deep personal problems taking her mind off work and making it hard for her to concentrate.

Instead of going right in to confront her directly, try this:

Next time you see her looking absolutely frazzeled, face in her hands, looking like she can't cope...

Ask simply: "Is everything ok?"

• Author
suddenlyseymour

So, I had all intents of purposes of laying low today. I tried. Boss was working a half day at the satellite office and the other half at the main office. I am leaning more and more to the depression aspect. Lately, she's increased her perfume usage and a friend of mine referenced an article that believes when a woman increases her perfume usage, it could signal depression. She definitely was in a mood all day. Very cynical to everything i said. I noticed she was wearing a hat which usually signifies she has a migraine. I politely asked, "everything ok with your head, feeling alright?" She coldly said, "Yuuuup."

I am blaming this on case of the Mondays with a bunch of meetings especially a monday after a blizzard.

In case anyone is interested in the perfume article, below is the link:

Wearing too much perfume: A sign of depression?