Hi LS folks,

I am back on LS after a long time. I guess the reason I am back is because I have no one really to discuss my struggle. I am from an Asian country with middle class back background. The thought in this part of the world is that the higher you study; the better opportunity you will encounter. I gave this small introduction to understand where I am coming from.

The big problem I am facing is with the career. I have a PhD in a Science subject (not to brag about), which I completed almost 2 years back. I did this because of my love for the subject and in the hope that future could bring better possibilities. After returning to my home country, I am just struggling to find a stable/proper job. I am doing the kind of jobs that require graduation with a pay enough to survive.

I have tried to apply for International open jobs/postdoc's and scholarships/fellowships but the competition is overwhelming. Today, I hit rock bottom with rejection of one more grant. I don't know what to do? I guess I am not looking for a specific kind of answer. Still any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

International scholarships/fellowships in desirable countries are CRAZY hard to get. There are very few spots for very many applicants, and it takes some luck in addition to excellent grades to get them. And 'open jobs for internationals' - forget it. If you don't already have a work visa for that country, your chances of getting a job are close to nil.

Why did you return to your home country after graduating, if there were no jobs for you there? If your PhD is from a different country, you would have better luck getting further grants if you worked there after graduation and obtained residence first, so you don't have to compete with other international applicants. Did your qualifications not entitle you to apply for an temporary open work visa or residence?

Of course, this is all very general advice as I'm not sure exactly which Asian country you're from and which country you did your PhD in. But TL;DR, don't be so hard on yourself. You're in a difficult situation.

• Like 1

Reach out to people you studied with., department heads, others in your area of study.

Find out where they are working. Ask them what openings are available.

Do this globally.

Going from newly minted PhD to trying to writing grant proposals is not easy.

It's usually the very senior one that gets the big grant and everyone works on his/her project, in my experience as a person with a Masters in a hard science as well.

Plus, everything said above about the visa issues.

• Like 1
  • Author
Hi Elswyth, nice to hear from you. I did my PhD from Brazil. I know this is not a favorite destination for higher studies. I did because of the funding and my research area. After degree, it's very hard to get a temporary job there because of the language and bureaucracy. As you know, if I remember correctly you are from Asia as well, the competition is intense here too thanks to the huge population and less job opportunities. If I understand correctly, it's not possible to get UK work visa like before also.

Yes, I have contacted my Master's supervisor from Sweden. We together formed a project proposal and applied for a grant, which I got rejected today. I sent a mail regarding this news and I haven't received a reply till now. I am also afraid thinking about his support for future projects. In addition, I have a long list of professors/head of groups whom I contacted, but I always get mixed response and not a promising one.

Thanks guys for your response. I am an introvert person (even online :) and is good to share views. I am also a positive person, but now its taking its toll.

Are u looking only into academic areas??? I mean u could tap opportunities in industrial research. Your PhD thesis work ideally should land you a good industrial research position. Assuming the fact that ur area has got good industrial application areas.

• Like 1
Hi Elswyth, nice to hear from you. I did my PhD from Brazil. I know this is not a favorite destination for higher studies. I did because of the funding and my research area. After degree, it's very hard to get a temporary job there because of the language and bureaucracy. As you know, if I remember correctly you are from Asia as well, the competition is intense here too thanks to the huge population and less job opportunities. If I understand correctly, it's not possible to get UK work visa like before also.

Hey there. :) Yes, I grew up in Asia as well. However I made it my goal to emigrate early on, because the work culture in most parts of Asia does not suit me. Too much emphasis on authoritarianism and micromanaging, too much desperation on the part of fellow employees (can't blame 'em, if you have no money you starve to death, there is no social welfare). No work-life balance and little autonomy until you reach 'the top'. Just really not for me.

Getting a sponsored work visa in most countries is hard, period. Most people who get work visas studied in that country and then either got an open work visa by virtue of their graduation in that country's university, or impressed their employers sufficiently during an internship to get sponsored, or purposefully chose a field of very high demand so that they instantly were given work visas. There is a reason why the majority of my fellow immigrants are nurses and doctors.

How old are you? If you are <30 there are working holiday visas available in several countries, so that you will at least be able to go there and jobhunt, interview in person, and potentially impress future employers.

• Like 1
  • Author

Honestly speaking, My emphasis is more on scientific research areas and not on sectors itself. The positions that I tried so far has collaborations between these sectors.

I can understand and agree with your view on Asia. Perhaps I should have done the same thing. Born with limited resources, feels like your hands are tied and there's not much you can do.

Even though My PhD was a wonderful experience, but sometimes I think maybe I should have chosen a different location. Anyways, I am slowly reaching mid-30's (getting old :). So, working holiday visa is out of the question since the age limit is 18-30. Perhaps skilled work or general work visa? Do you have any idea? I have to look more in detail.

I can understand and agree with your view on Asia. Perhaps I should have done the same thing. Born with limited resources, feels like your hands are tied and there's not much you can do.

I agree, money/luck matters more than most people will admit, especially if you intend to emigrate. :( The 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps, slacker!' argument is total bull****, especially in most Asian countries. Those who are born less fortunate have far fewer opportunities and have to work much harder to achieve the same thing, all through no fault of their own and with zero government support. I truly hope you manage to get things to work out.

Even though My PhD was a wonderful experience, but sometimes I think maybe I should have chosen a different location. Anyways, I am slowly reaching mid-30's (getting old :). So, working holiday visa is out of the question since the age limit is 18-30. Perhaps skilled work or general work visa? Do you have any idea? I have to look more in detail.

Maybe aim for countries where your field of expertise is in high demand?
  • Author

Thanks guys for all of your support. I'll keep you posted what happened. Keep in touch.

"If a spark begins to flare, then the rain douses it out

But of the rain is one setting fire, who shall douse it?"

• Like 1