Can I work at a daycare without changing diapers?

I would like a job working with little kids, but I don't want to change diapers or wipe them after the bathroom. I would like to work with kids 3-9. Is there a daycare like this or another job similar?

I don't think anyone is going to look favorably upon you at employment time. What exactly is your fear rooted in? How do you handle vomit, snot, and filth?

Do you want kids of your own some day? Just curious.

• Like 3
I would like a job working with little kids,
No, you would love a job where you imagine it would be great working with kids. The reality is vastly different, because you have to work with the kids' parents too...

but I don't want to change diapers or wipe them after the bathroom.
That's pretty much par for the course... I think you'll find that the number of kids who don't poop, is very low. No, really, really low. Oh, OK....Try 'non-existent'. And if you work with small kids - it comes with the territory.

I would like to work with kids 3-9. Is there a daycare like this or another job similar?
No.

Not unless you train, study and qualify as a certified Nanny or Childminder and work on a one-on-one basis. Even then, toilet matters will always be an issue though.

• Author

I would do it for my own children someday even though I wouldn't be happy about it but I definitely don't want to do it for kids who are strangers.

You could look at working in after school care. All would be toilet trained except for the occasional special needs child. But there's still vomit and boogers.

I would do it for my own children someday even though I wouldn't be happy about it but I definitely don't want to do it for kids who are strangers.

I think you should look at a different career path.

Animals, children, old people... it all involves the grim stuff that you really do not want to do.

If you are not prepared to roll up your sleeves and get mucky it really is not for you. If you roll your eyes and wrinkle your nose at stuff like this... again its really not for you.

• Like 2

Try grade school teacher. You might not get kids as young as 3, but any job with kids that young involves some form of bodily-fluid wiping IMO. You can still get the 6-9 yos.

Daycare, definitely not; bodily fluids are part of the package when it comes to working with little kids. But maybe you could do something more specialized - based on your screenname, for example, you could look into music classes for the little ones? Some daycares contract with people to do classes like this. But it wouldn't be a full-time job, most likely.

If you want to avoid diaper changing you can work with elementary-school kids, kindergarten and up. No guarantees on other bodily fluids, though, as others have said. :)

Bittersweetie

I worked at a private preschool with kids ages 3-6. Did I change diapers? Nope, not a one in the whole 6+ years I was there.

However...

- Kids that age have accidents. Pee ones, poop ones, and even diarrhea ones. Of course we don't let them sit in it...we clean them up and change them. Not exactly like changing a diaper, but close.

- Kids throw up. Randomly and suddenly without warning, even at school, and most likely on the carpet everyone does circle time on.

- Kids fall a lot and often bleed. Especially cuts on the head, those can be like some bad horror movie.

- Kids have runny noses. Some constantly from November to March. And even with reminders, kids don't wipe them...teachers do. Or else the snot gets everywhere.

My point being: working at a daycare/preschool will put you in close contact with all kinds of bodily fluids, not just diaper stuff. If you're not into that, then it may not be the right path for you.

• Like 3

Working for a daycare then is probably not for you, as chances are, especially dealing with toddlers, you'll at one point or the other have to. So you have to decide if you wanna suck it up and do it as part of your job and not see it as a big deal or look for other jobs where you can work with kids but in a capacity where you wouldn't have to do that...but a daycare is not the kind of job where you can avoid that.

GunslingerRoland

How about a teachers assistant at a preschool or kindergarten?

The kids will be a little bit older and the kids will be expected to be potty trained. (Although little kids do still have accidents sometimes and you will still need to help with that).