potential manager sent friend request! !

So I am currently interviewing for a job and had an interview last Sunday. I do online marketing, so this job involves a lot of social media. I have had several similar roles over the past 4+ years. This potential manager is looking at my work samples and website. She recently asked to see my Facebook page because they are heavily screening applicants, because they are emphasizing on a long term candidate. I'm not entirely sure I will accept this job even if I got an offer. Today, I got a Facebook friend request from this person who would be my direct manager as my profile has heavy privacy settings. I am not comfortable with this at all from past, current or future employers/managers. I suppose I could add her to my restricted list...but that might be obvious. I don't know what to do. Help!

So I am currently interviewing for a job and had an interview last Sunday. I do online marketing, so this job involves a lot of social media. I have had several similar roles over the past 4+ years. This potential manager is looking at my work samples and website. She recently asked to see my Facebook page because they are heavily screening applicants, because they are emphasizing on a long term candidate. I'm not entirely sure I will accept this job even if I got an offer. Today, I got a Facebook friend request from this person who would be my direct manager as my profile has heavy privacy settings. I am not comfortable with this at all from past, current or future employers/managers. I suppose I could add her to my restricted list...but that might be obvious. I don't know what to do. Help!

Honestly, I would move on.

I'd never work at a place that invades your privacy to this level.

Also, it's probably time to get yourself professional and personal social media accounts.

As an expert in the field, I'm quite surprised you haven't already split them up. Use a pseudonym on the personal account and your real, full name on the professional account.

Apply your marketing skills to market yourself here...

• Like 2
Honestly, I would move on.

I'd never work at a place that invades your privacy to this level.

Also, it's probably time to get yourself professional and personal social media accounts.

As an expert in the field, I'm quite surprised you haven't already split them up. Use a pseudonym on the personal account and your real, full name on the professional account.

Apply your marketing skills to market yourself here...

Great idea LW! I have a successful side business and didn't think about having 2 facebook accounts...one for the business. Is FB okay with it?

• Like 2

She sent you a friend request just so she could look at the contents of your FB page for screening purposes? Or is she looking to see if you have a handle on how to do social media? Because if it's the former, then eesh, that would make me uncomfortable.

If it's for the purpose of screening, I'd say do not add friend. Just because they're a prospective employer doesn't mean they're privy to every scrap of information about you. I think not friending her in this stage shows that you have some boundaries and if they don't like it, tough. If you're uncomfortable with it but accept her request anyway, that signals that you're OK with the intrusion, which it doesn't sound like you are.

If you suspect she wants a peek to check out your social media prowess, then, I dunno. Add, but make her access extremely limited.

• Like 1
Great idea LW! I have a successful side business and didn't think about having 2 facebook accounts...one for the business. Is FB okay with it?

They don't like it, I don't think, but so what? :lmao:

They used to have business accounts. I've been off that site for many, many years now. Ditched it ages ago.

I'm on the others.

If you suspect she wants a peek to check out your social media prowess, then, I dunno. Add, but make her access extremely limited.

I would also add that her previous social media marketing campaigns should be quite visible with her old company, in reports or in other places she can direct them to look online.

There should be absolutely no reason for them to invade her privacy, even to see how she handles personal social media, which has nothing to do with how many likes, clicks or favorites she generates professionally.

They don't like it, I don't think, but so what? :lmao:

They used to have business accounts. I've been off that site for many, many years now. Ditched it ages ago.

I'm on the others.

I'm not a big FB person...my "friends" are most relatives and people I've known more than 5 yrs...but if FB is no longer "de rigueur" ...why would this employer want to check out a prospective employees account I wonder?

The only reason I have FB is to keep in contact with old friends and relatives. I can't see why an employer would want to see my business in that regard. OP...I would definitely decline the "friend" offer and do as LW has stated...set up a few business accounts that show your social media savviness.

• Like 1
I would also add that her previous social media marketing campaigns should be quite visible with her old company, in reports or in other places she can direct them to look online.

There should be absolutely no reason for them to invade her privacy, even to see how she handles personal social media, which has nothing to do with how many likes, clicks or favorites she generates professionally.

I agree, I think it's pretty gross, actually, I was just ruminating.

• Like 3
  • Author

In her first post-interview email, she requested the following:

1. Samples of video work-OK

2. Samples of writing-OK(I sent her links to social media pages I have worked on as well as my personal website, which I don't mind...it has stories I have written on there) Also sent flyers I have worked on.

3. References-OK

2nd email.

-She requested my personal facebook page LINK. Claimed that she was not snooping or stalking me (she spelled it STOCKING). In her own words "A lot of the work will entail social media so I'll need to reference your personal FB page too. Sorry. I know the vetting process here is pretty intense but we'd like someone long term with the company."

Nowhere did she say that I needed to add her as a friend. Also, by that wording, I cannot tell if it's simply for "samples of work or just THE VETTING PROCESS".

I say make a new one and send that to her.

• Like 2

Oh, lordy.

How badly do you want this job.

Red flag A is her inability to differentiate between stocking and stalking.

Red flag B is that they ask for this at all. It's one thing for a potential employer to look you up during the hiring process and maybe you don't have privacy controls in effect, but it's something else entirely to specifically ask for it.

If she said you don't have to accept her friend request, then why did she request you? Also, did you actually send her the link? Also, also, why would this make a difference when it comes to longterm employment? This sounds like a company that does what it wants and gives flimsy justifications for their actions.

I would push back a bit still and ask why exactly they'd be looking at it.

• Like 4
In her first post-interview email, she requested the following:

1. Samples of video work-OK

2. Samples of writing-OK(I sent her links to social media pages I have worked on as well as my personal website, which I don't mind...it has stories I have written on there) Also sent flyers I have worked on.

3. References-OK

2nd email.

-She requested my personal facebook page LINK. Claimed that she was not snooping or stalking me (she spelled it STOCKING). In her own words "A lot of the work will entail social media so I'll need to reference your personal FB page too. Sorry. I know the vetting process here is pretty intense but we'd like someone long term with the company."

Nowhere did she say that I needed to add her as a friend. Also, by that wording, I cannot tell if it's simply for "samples of work or just THE VETTING PROCESS".

By her "accessing" your FB page...she is "stocking" you...in my demographic...FB is for keeping in contact with close friends and relatives. I find her stance weird...and that's coming from a exHR Hiring Manager. Her concern should be you word and work etiquette as well as expertise. FB has gone full circle...from connecting and reconnecting with friends/relatives to social media blitz to connecting and reconnecting with friends/relatives. I believe it will stay the latter as people start appreciating some social distance.

If this person insists on seeing your personal business, I'd tell her that's your personal business and move onto another job opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Author

I took a peek at her profile just now and it's definitely not entirely professional. Lots of maternity photoshoot photos and bare belly photos with comments from friends/relatives about how cute and sexy it is, lots of family and kid photos. There are some business related posts, but this appears to be a personal profile. :confused: You'd think she wouldn't want some random stranger looking at that.

Edit* she captioned her own image of her pregnant belly "sexy close up".

Edited by pink_sugar

under no circumstances should you add your potential employer to your friends list on FB, don't accept the request and how rude of her to even send it..

• Like 2
I took a peek at her profile just now and it's definitely not entirely professional. Lots of maternity photoshoot photos and bare belly photos with comments from friends/relatives about how cute and sexy it is, lots of family and kid photos. There are some business related posts, but this appears to be a personal profile. :confused: You'd think she wouldn't want some random stranger looking at that.

Edit* she captioned her own image of her pregnant belly "sexy close up".

She sounds a little narcissistic ,.. and wants to see if you espouse to the same ideology ... if you do...go with it! If not...go find your spot. Maybe it's the generation gap, but I find the whole FB/inappropriate intimate sharing thing to be a bit narcissistic.

• Like 1

I would tell this woman to shove it.

Haha, no I wouldn't. But I'm not sure I would acquiesce just to get this job. Yuck, how voyeuristic.

• Author

My current workplace is very intimate and family like. I am a private person and honestly hoping for my next employer to be more in the middle. Not by the book, but not too close knit where everyone shares everything about themselves. I don't even have my current boss on facebook, though he probably sees posts I make on my colleague's page occassionally. I have his daughter as a friend, but on a very restricted basis. I will add collegues that I have extensive rapport with, but otherwise, no managers. LinkedIn, sure. But no Facebook.

If the workplace is going to be in this level, I'm not sure I am on that comfort level. I don't like managers that invested in my personal life.

I read somewhere it's getting more common for employers to request access to FB but I have yet to see it myself.

Personally I would just make up a new blank page or add her to a heavily restricted section and then defriend. I would have no problems with LinkedIn but even though I don't post much on social media there are things I don't want a prospective employer to know during the interview process. Nothing earth shattering. Just these things are not their business and could color the hiring decision.

• Like 1
  • Author

I read somewhere it's getting more common for employers to request access to FB but I have yet to see it myself.

Personally I would just make up a new blank page or add her to a heavily restricted section and then defriend. I would have no problems with LinkedIn but even though I don't post much on social media there are things I don't want a prospective employer to know during the interview process. Nothing earth shattering. Just these things are not their business and could color the hiring decision.

Yeah, I am ignoring the request right now, but if she says anything, I will probably tell her that I only accept Facebook friend requests from family and friends and refer her to my LinkedIn for professional networking. Her profile looks harmless, but it is filled with family photos and pregnancy photos that honestly shouldn't be public if you're a recruiter...just seems a tad unprofessional.

• Author

An update: I never friended this woman, but she got back to me today and asked if I could interview Thursday, to which I replied I would be in the office all day. Her response: "can't you sneak out for a lunch break?" Wtf? If that was an option, I would do it. The commute from my current job to this one would take up my entire lunch hour....not including the actual interview time. I'm honestly about to tell this woman I am no longer interested. I don't want to be salaried on a 30-40k payscale and I don't want to make long commutes 2.5 hours away once a month.

I wouldn't, at least not until there was an offer on the table. Definitely not for just the initial interview stages.

If you do, add her late at night when you can screen what she sees before she has a chance to see your raw FB. Not that you have anything to hide, but yes, it is an invasion of privacy.