Insight into pursuing b-school.

35 years old graduated with a B.A. in Econ in 2005. Up until last year, I lazied around and didn't work. Never held a full-time job since I graduated, did mostly menial temp work and the longest job I've held was 6 months. Hence, I don't really have any real skills or quality job experience.

Realizing that my future looked bleak, I changed my work ethic and managed to land a full-time job as an entry-level bookkeeper. The plus side is, the company plans on training me into a full-time staff Accountant. But the transition is at a snail's pace, pay is low, and the hours are incredibly long because we are understaffed. I've decided to stick it out for 2 years and make some try to improve myself. But after realizing that if I look for another job after 2 years, this is the only type of work I'll be able to get, and I'll never be happy or proud of what I do.

Over the past few weeks I've decided on maybe purchasing GMAT books and try to aim for a MBA. My impression was that getting a MBA will help me develop new skills, and open doors for better jobs. But after reading some forums, people are saying getting into business school with poor quality work experience isn't going to do me any good, and I'll be in the same position before applying but with a huge debt.

Is this true?