A Co worker who is on 90 day probation from Company expenses, ran into a muddle. His car had a flat and he requested to use a company car. It was approved. When he left the facility though he quickly called in to say that the car did not have enough fuel. Instead of going thru the proper channels for approval to release funds, I handed him MY company credit card with the strict instructions- Put $10 worth in since you are just going a few blocks over.

He arrived back and graciously handed the card and receipt. He had put 45$ worth of gas in it. I explained to him that I have a limited budget that can be used on that card and he just was like, well you should thank me for filling it up. The Guy has zero consideration for when instructions are delegated to him. He is constantly going "So whats the big deal", Deal with it!.

My Boss will have the choice to cut my expenses . I'm sure he'll understand that since it was a company car needing refueled he will be fine. The problem is, this employee is constantly coming off rough around the edges when confronted with following instructions or rules. My Problem is I am derned either way, because if I didn't give him the card, he would have been late for his appointment and our company does not tolerate losing a sale because an employee was delayed. And since I did give him the card, He chose to put me in a pickle by going over the limit that I told him to abide by. Having two refuel charges on my account in such a short time span sends a red flag to our accounting. Which puts folks on limited or No expense for a certain period. How can I get this employee to stop being such a twit and to actually respect instructions in the work place!

Just let him do what he's going to do. He will hang himself.

Don't 'help him'!

He full of drama and has no sense of boundaries...better that he go away.

Just like anyone who is disrespectful and has no boundary - it always leaves others to fix their problems (drama).

So he may be late? Maybe he would get fired - and that would be a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you for the advice. you make sense!

Fingers crossed when I turn in the expense sheet this week that I am not restricted. Still ires me ... its that constant disregard he emulates. Oh well.

What he did is grounds for you to never help him again. He got one chance and blew it.

If he's late for a sales meeting, it's his own fault. Let him deal with it.

• Like 1

You now know that he can't be trusted. That lesson cost you $45.

Your mistake was handing him your card. I would have handed him $10 out of my own pocket rather than trust him with a card.

• Like 2
GunslingerRoland

I get that he's insubordinate, and that is a major issue. But at the same time, take a step back about this actual situation. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd be pretty annoyed if people kept putting $10 into the company vehicle every time it was driven rather than just filling it up when it needed it.

Like you said, sales people are responsible if they are late for the meeting regardless of the circumstances. And yet you asked him to put the minimum into the car, so that it would be basically empty for the next person so they would have to fill it as well. Maybe he was trying to be genuinely considerate.

Also what is the point of having a company credit card, if they are going to put a stop on it for filling half a tank of gas?

Looks like his probation is heading for termination. Heh. He bought his ticket. I say let him crash. Due to lack of fuel.

This little scenario shows he lacks character. I'm sure he does it in all areas of his life.

It will catch up with him.

Be glad you know now - he's full of drama and not to be trusted.

I get that he's insubordinate, and that is a major issue. But at the same time, take a step back about this actual situation. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd be pretty annoyed if people kept putting $10 into the company vehicle every time it was driven rather than just filling it up when it needed it.

Like you said, sales people are responsible if they are late for the meeting regardless of the circumstances. And yet you asked him to put the minimum into the car, so that it would be basically empty for the next person so they would have to fill it as well. Maybe he was trying to be genuinely considerate.

Also what is the point of having a company credit card, if they are going to put a stop on it for filling half a tank of gas?

It is not the OP's position to disregard company rules.

The OP is not high up enough on the food chain to change company rules.

It is the OP's position to follow the rules and if does not like them then she can find another job.

As others have set best course of action is to no longer help Mr I Don't Have To Follow Rules and let him hang himself.