question on interview process

Hello.

I had 3 really good interviews, well actually the 3rd was tough to gauge, she was dry.

The next step was to be an in person interview in which the manager would fly here to meet.

That should have been last week however the interviewer said she would push back her trip to possibly early this week.

As you can see she did not come in this week and hasn't written to say it would be pushed bavk until next week or anything.

I have followed up with all thank you letters post interview and had a gut feeling I was a top candidate until now.

I don't know whether to follow up and ask about next steps because I feel it might seem desperate or pushy which I feel could be a turn off.

Id love any feedback whether to sit tight or write.

It has been a week since any correspondence and she left off saying it would probably be next week (this week) when she would travel in.

Thanks everyone.

GunslingerRoland

Are you talking 3 interviews for the same position?

Is it for a high level management position? That seems so over the top.

I would definitely write though, if they said they were setting up an interview and they didn't. That is very unprofessional.

• Author

Yes, for the same job. Executive role yes.

I was thinking it was hectic with holidays...

Are you sure it isn't pushy to write?

GunslingerRoland

Well, if it's an executive level position, I'd probably hold off. Those kind of jobs take a longer decision making time. And you're right, they've run smack into the holidays now.

• Author

I wish hiring managers would consider the angst of the waiting game.

Because she did not reach out nor travel in, I'm left uncertain if I am even still a candidate.

• Author

I just feel so completely discouraged.

I dotted every I and crossed every T.

I researched the company to the last detail, spoke eloquently of my performance, my goals, my strengths. I put ALOT of energy into this interview process and even went out to get a new polished suit for the in person interview that never came to be.

It was December 15th when we had our last email communication.

I waited..and waited...then finally reached out with a short polite processional email to inquire about the process progressing.

I also sent a breif note to the recruiter to follow up.

No reply to either. I feel so lost, the interviews were so good and I was so carefully polished and also thoughtful and sincere.

Not one word.

Even a rejection for closure would have been ok if they went with another candidate.

Im just confused and its hurt my confidence so much, and now I also feel like it made me look needy or desperate to have reached out to inquire.

I just really wanted this one so much, it was the perfect fit in every way.

You're not dating. There is nothing wrong with being pushy as long as you're polite. The least desperate ones are the pushiest because they have other offers waiting for reply. If you can keep waiting, that means you've got no other offers.

• Author

I wasn't pushy but rather just reached out with a polite check in but even so it just seems like it would be a turnoff if a candidate can't be patient. More desperate than pushy.

Luckily, I am employed with a great job but this is the opportunity I was looking for and I'm just shocked there seems to be zero courtesy or etiquette. It leaves you wondering what you could have done differently or better.

Also a quick courtesy email takes a moment.

• Author
Any chance the decision makers are simply off for the holidays? Many people aren't working this week....

Possibly, it's just the last email on the 15th said I'd like to fly into your city possibly next week to meet with you.

Dec. 15th was over 2 weeks ago and no further communication after that.

So possibly they're off but not for 2 weeks.

And no out of office reply.

I can understand getting too busy to send an email, but then to not even REPLY to an email too? I've just never seen an interview process end so abruptly.

Maybe I just really wanted it and am impatient, but anything after 2 weeks, and without one word of follow up is a little long to me. Just feel very in the dark.

Private, I would sit tight. Is the recruiter an external or internal with the company? Touchbase with them but don't follow up with the manager. I know it's annoying but at that level sometimes things come up and so follow through falls off.

I disagree and think recruiting is just like dating and have found it follows similar patterns. The one that cares less "wins". Your time is money as well so have your boundaries on how long you are willing to wait. Unfortunately I know we have at times missed our proposed face to face interview schedule, especially if we are traveling in, by weeks on end. Our internal recruiters do a good job on updating the candidates but it really depends on how much info the manager is giving the recruiter. Some times they are ignored as well.

Sorry, I feel your pain.

• Author

Thank you, the recruiter is external and also did not reply. I feel I cannot reach out again.

If you truly suggest I do please tell me the proper wording. I don't want to embarrass myself.

Edited by privategal
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

So an update. A few weeks of holiday go by then the process starts back up. I let the recruiter know another company reached out and I wanted to be transparent that time was of the essence.

I then had an interview with the vp, then the next week the hiring manager flew in to meet me. At the end she said she had 2 other candidates to interview that day then she would fly back out, then they hoped to have their decision in a few weeks.

A few WEEKS? This was 8 days ago I had that final interview and all were flawless, all were followed up promptly with courteous thank you note defining continued interest, strengths, what I bring to the table..very professional.

In my current role my travel schedule is getting hectic, I need to book flights, I need to either plug back in hardcore to my current job or get an offer.

I haven't heard one peep, Im so interested, but its been going on nearly 2 months I believe and I need an answer.

Now when do I reach out?

Do I "pressure" recruiter to get answer, tell her I have another offer (untrue but to force decision, closure) or that I need to book flights for upcoming meetings (true, but not her problem) or sit tight and do nothing?

At this point I am being asked to head up projects and travel more for initiatives in my current role...but if I book all these flights on my corporate card then get an offer my company is left holding the bag as I will TAKE the offer. I really need to know but am again wondering if reaching out is pushy, rushing, I am in such a bad spot.

Thank you for ANY advice. REALLY really need input.

• Author

Anyone here, thoughts?

I really am trying to be patient but I really want to know any sort of closure, what is the protocol. Today is 9 days past the final interviews. I just want the rejection or the offer...what can I do to get the answer?

How to phrase the question? Or force myself to keep quiet and wait?

Privategal,

My perspective is that in this case honesty is your best policy. I would reach out to the recruiter and ask for a status update, saying that you have some professional obligations you have to begin scheduling which require you booking extensive travel. That prior to doing that, you would like to know when you may hear on this opportunity so you can make a determination about when would be your last opportunity to book travel so you don't cost your current employer unfairly.

I would wait no more than 48 hours for a response and then book travel. You have to act as if you will be staying in your current role to protect your job performance. Play the game you're in.

Good luck. Having done exec recruiting, I often think we suck at communicating with candidates and it takes too long. Then, when we finally pull the trigger, we are astounded that we get turned down because they've already gotten a better offer. Hang in there!

So an update. A few weeks of holiday go by then the process starts back up. I let the recruiter know another company reached out and I wanted to be transparent that time was of the essence.

I then had an interview with the vp, then the next week the hiring manager flew in to meet me. At the end she said she had 2 other candidates to interview that day then she would fly back out, then they hoped to have their decision in a few weeks.

A few WEEKS? This was 8 days ago I had that final interview and all were flawless, all were followed up promptly with courteous thank you note defining continued interest, strengths, what I bring to the table..very professional.

In my current role my travel schedule is getting hectic, I need to book flights, I need to either plug back in hardcore to my current job or get an offer.

I haven't heard one peep, Im so interested, but its been going on nearly 2 months I believe and I need an answer.

Now when do I reach out?

They told you it would take a few weeks to make a decision, so it's not surprising you haven't heard from them yet. I think if you haven't heard from them after three weeks, it would be reasonable to reach out and find out where they are in the process.

Do I "pressure" recruiter to get answer, tell her I have another offer (untrue but to force decision, closure) or that I need to book flights for upcoming meetings (true, but not her problem) or sit tight and do nothing?

At this point I am being asked to head up projects and travel more for initiatives in my current role...but if I book all these flights on my corporate card then get an offer my company is left holding the bag as I will TAKE the offer. I really need to know but am again wondering if reaching out is pushy, rushing, I am in such a bad spot.

Thank you for ANY advice. REALLY really need input.

Well, I don't think you should lie and I personally do think it's pushy to reach out when they told you how long it would be. Again, reach out after three weeks to find out where they are in the process.

When would they even expect you to start the new job? I assume you would have to give at least two weeks' notice in you current job and work to transition your role over to a new person anyway. You aren't just going to drop everything and start the new job the next day. How far out are these flights you are having to book?

I think for now, you go about your current job as if you are going to continue to work there. If you do get and accept the new job, you can work with your current company to determine a good end date that will give you sufficient time to wrap things up. Book refundable flights.

• Author

I booked travel for my current company and kept quiet.

I am not sure what is taking them so long.

Tommorow is 2 full weeks and I had 5 interviews so the process has been going on 2 months or so.

I'd of course give a full 2 weeks notice but am performing normally at work as if I am not leaving.

I held out on booking flights as long as I could.

So frustrating to leave good candidates in limbo, I feel helpless.

It was only down to a few people so I am unsure why they would need as much time but I've kind of given up and back to the search I suppose.

I honestly don't think a few weeks is that long to wait. They had other candidates to interview and need to make a decision. Who knows what beauracracy they need to go through. I actually had a three month wait from my last interview to job offer, so if you get it in three weeks, that's pretty good! :laugh:

Just be patient...I know it's hard!

• Author

The recruiter was aware time was of the essence as I told her I was interviewing with another company.

Speaking of that other company by the way, I could KICK myself.

I didn't feel nearly as passionate about it and declined to go further as things were progressing quickly there for a bit with this company and every interview was better than the last and I had a good gut feeling about it.

I should have continued to explore that interview process as well in hindsight, but this just seemed like such a sure bet, I really believed in it and didn't want to waste another companies time.

I had a friend that went through a similar process. They kept calling her back for more interviews and then there would be long stretches of silence. They even had her meet for coffee one morning before work. She was starting to get really pissed off & was about to give them an ultimatum and then they offered her the job. Turns out it was taking so long because it was for a large regional hospital and she was to be the assistant to the Chief of Compliance (this had not been communicated to her as she had applied to a paralegal position). I guess they really wanted to make sure she was going to be a good fit.

I've had companies email me to move forward with interviews months after I already accepted another job! Crazy!

• Author

Well after 2 long months I finally saw yesterday a distant colleague posted she had accepted an offer for the job I was interviewing for.

The recruiter nor hiring manager thought to guve me resolution or let me know they had gone another direction.

This candidate had worked with the hiring manager in another company so its easy to see she was going to chose her all along.

Im not sure looking back why I was put through so many interviews and strung along.

I am less hurt I didnt get the job, more hurt I was not given the courtesy of communication that I didn't get it. And that there was a candidate the entire time who was a shoe in.