Comfortable job or bigger pay

I work at a job that is both good paying and few work stresses. Most days, my work for the day is completed within the first 2 hours. After that I mostly wait for the day to end, chat with coworkers, order the canteen boy to bring tea and go out on a smoke break. And after all this lazying around, I get my salary account credited exactly on 30th or 31st every month.

The only downside to this job - very very less promotion, only appraisals. The position immediately above my current one is Sr. Production Manager and the man currently holding that role is working in this industry for 20+ years. After that its the Production Head (Associate Director). And the man holding the post is about to be retired after 2 years.

I have been getting few job offers that are much much higher paying than the job I have and highly challenging and offers growth. Apparently the recruiters think the "expertise" and "experience" I have is so valuable for them that they are ready to offer me upto 70% hike than my current salary. And I have to relocate from my hometown. (If they saw the **** all I do for the salary I get, I don't know what their reaction will be. I laugh at these recruiting policies.)

And I have refused them all. I have so gotten used to this job. This is my first job and I think I have "imprinted" on this.

But I recently got married. Earlier the salary that seemed to be enough for me seems to be peanuts when you have a wife around. She works too. But somehow even our combined money seems to slip out of our hands.

And I have got another job offer two days ago. This job not only offer a very big package but would also have me relocated. But I am not sure if I will be able to cope with the changes as a newlywed in a new city. So I haven't given them any answers yet. And I haven't told my wife about this offer.

I am not sure but should I take this job because when you start a family, expenses only increase considering the future that their will be babies coming along. What do you guys say?

• Like 1

How have you and your spouse worked out your work/domestic/child rearing responsibilities? Job parameters are a part of that matrix. What form of lifestyle do you envision for your family?

• Like 1

You better believe that expenses increase when babies come along. And your wife may even decide to up and quit her job too once the babies come. Many wives do, not all, but you can never predict which ones will. Still, I would not make this job move until it's absolutely necessary (read: after the babies come and/or she quits her job). If your skills are in demand, whatever offers you have now will still be there later.

• Like 1

If you think you can handle it, then take a new job. Your next job doesn't have to be your last one either. Worst case, you suffer through it for a couple of years, and save some money. How bad could it be?

Can I ask for a bit more data?

Your age range?

University graduate?

How long have you been married?

Will your W have opportunities in the proposed new location?

How far is the proposed location from where you are now?

Have you done a cost of living calculation on the delta between where you are and the proposed new place?

I understand if these questions are too personal but if you can give some guidance on these topics there is a bit more for people to use to comment.

NL

• Author

Your age range?

I am 27. My wife is 25

University graduate?

Undergraduate in apparel technology

How long have you been married?

Since October of this year

Will your W have opportunities in the proposed new location? Definitely. But she will have to leave her current job with no safety net.

How far is the proposed location from where you are now?

36 hours by train. Slightly more than 2 hrs by plane.

Have you done a cost of living calculation on the delta between where you are and the proposed new place?

Not yet. But it will definitely cost me and my wife more. The city they are asking me to go have a higher cost of living. Currently we live in our hometown in my family home (separate room and key to the house). My father bears 50% of household expenses and me 50%. In the new city, me and my wife will have to pay for the rent of a new place and all the household expenses. Thats also one of the reason I am not sure even with a higher pay I will be able to sustain the standard of living I am accustomed to.

I think you should talk to your wife about this before making any decisions. Really, her opinion is the only one that matters here. Why haven't you told her about the offer?

Disclaimer: I'm a middle aged woman with conservative values.

Don't make any decisions or accept a role prior to a discussion and agreement with your W.

When you go to discuss with your wife, it's handy to have lots of data available to help you decide together what to do.

The first step I would do is a cost benefit analysis of the new proposed living expenses over what you have today and add in at least 4 r/t plane journeys (8 total fares) annually.

Is the 70% uplift gross or net?

Are the income taxes the same in the proposed location?

Do you need visas?

Religious/ dietary considerations?

Language?

If your W can't immediately get a role can you support her for a bit?

How can you deal with homesickness?

For me it sounds like an adventure. If your W agrees and having no children yet, it might be exciting?

Could you easily come back if you hated it?

Beware...

Your current job may not last long.

Companies pay people to purchase productivity. This productivity is what keeps money flowing into the business (which they then use tobpay you). If the productivity they are buying doesn't exist or employees are tricking them into accepting much lower productivity, eventually, the competition will crush them or they will simply go out of business.

Best to leave and start contributing to a place you are working. Employees with this attitude are a cancer. You have to cut them out before it spreads.

Go to the other job, because your current one isn't sustainable. It'll evaporate eventually.

I'd have fired you in a heartbeat if I owned the place you work at.

• Author

Is the 70% uplift gross or net?

No. The 70% hike was offered on a different job when I was still not married. There were reasons I rejected that.

This job offers a hike of above 40% on the gross yearly that I get.

Are the income taxes the same in the proposed location?

In my country, there are some state taxes and some union taxes. But even the state taxes don't vary much state to state.

Do you need visas?

Why would I need a visa? I will be remaining in my country but different city

Religious/ dietary considerations?

None

Language?

Admitted the other city has a different local language. But there is a national language which everyone understands. And there is English. I think there will be any problem in communication.

If your W can't immediately get a role can you support her for a bit?

I married her. It goes without saying she is my responsibility for the rest of my life, whether she works or not.

How can you deal with homesickness?

Thats an interesting idea. Actually it me thinking. I have never lived outside my own city. This is also a reason I have rejected previous job offers due to the fear that I won't be able to cope without my parents or I will feel lonely with no friends.

But I am married now. My wife will be there to be my company and have my back in the new city.

Could you easily come back if you hated it?

I don't think I will be able to comeback to my current company. But the fact is I work for a company that makes leather products. And the offer I am getting is from a transport and logistics company. Its because in my current company, I am in charge of the complete process of organizing lead time of order, production, in-production quality check and final delivery of order. So the logistics company thinks these skills are valueable to what they do.

Similarly in the past I have got offers from textile manufactures and online retailers in B2B for various operations role. So even if I don't like this job I can switch.

Edited by HurtOfGlass
  • Like 1
  • Author
Why haven't you told her about the offer?

Because I have only got the offer 3 days ago and have to give confirmation by next Saturday. And I am still not serious about whether to accept or reject.

• Author
Employees with this attitude are a cancer. You have to cut them out before it spreads.

I'd have fired you in a heartbeat if I owned the place you work at.

If the company were to fire me for an attitude problem, then they would have to fire the rest of the 6 Operations Supervisors because of the same reason. Everyone of them is like me. Its the company that has provided such a cushion to us.

One strategy, if not wanting to uproot, would be a two-year plan to beat out the other operations supervisors for the slot expecting to open when the associate director retires and the current senior likely moves up, as it sounds like your company is more traditional and advances from within. Document your successes as leverage both to win the position and re-write the employment contract for it. That might and likely will require a change in your current job focus and energy commitment. It all depends on what you want for yourself and your new family.

IMO, such a decision would turn on an analysis of the company and its philosophy relevant to rewarding individuals for significant contributions. If the decision makers historically don't care and it's strictly political then that (politics) would be the path of advancement. If not interested, status quo or take a job offer and leave.

• Like 1
Because I have only got the offer 3 days ago and have to give confirmation by next Saturday. And I am still not serious about whether to accept or reject.

The point is that you should talk to her about it BEFORE you decide, not after.

GunslingerRoland

A number of things:

1) A company where employees are only working 2 hours a day isn't going to continue to be successful like that forever. Find ways to make yourself valuable because when the other shoe drops, show them why they should fire the other 6 supervisors and not you.

2) 40% is a big pay jump, but may not be worth moving for, especially since your wife may not be able to find a job right away.

3) Get your expenses under control, 2 people living together should be spending less than 2 single people, not more. By a significant margin really.

4) Kids on the other hand are a lot more expensive. Understand things beyond salary like benefits, ability to work from home/take time off.

A big city where you are responsible for all the expenses will be much more expensive. Also, you seem happy (make sure your wife is) living with your father. If so, that's good support for when a child comes. Because everyone needs some family to help out once in awhile. Will you need more space when a child comes and have to move out of the dad's home? Or will it be enough room still? If it's still enough room and your wife isn't annoyed living with your relative, then that's great. If she is annoyed, change is coming whether you like it or not!

You have a very easy job. You like it. You're getting by. Maybe your wife will get a pay raise and promotion even if you don't. Unless an offer comes from a town that wouldn't require a lot more expenses and wasn't too far away, I believe I'd stay there and consider taking on a weekend job to supplement income. It doesn't sound like much, but even 16 hrs at $8 comes out to an extra $4800 a year. Also, you should talk to a tax accountant about tax brackets and see what makes sense that way. Good luck.

Standard-Fare

Why is no one raising the point that a job where you only work two hours a day and mess around the rest of the time sounds BORING? I personally couldn't tolerate that. I hate just watching the clock while I put in "face time."

OP, isn't there any part of you that is craving more stimulation and challenge? Wouldn't it be a good idea to step out of your comfort zone a little? For that reason, along with the potential for a major pay raise, I absolutely think a new job is the right step.

However, if you're uncomfortable with such a big move, could you maybe seek out a new position with higher pay in a location closer to where you are now?

• Like 1

OK…

My 'suggestions' will be off the wall (as they typically are); :(

1. Stay where you are--both of you seem to have family, friends, and support around, which is the most important thing in life.

2. Both of your jobs are stable at this point, so work with that safety and comfort instead of moving elsewhere.

3. (Reiterating another poster), Your combined expenses should be less now that you are living together, therefore combined savings should be more. Bank on that extra savings.

4. (Here is the non-popular advice) Really work on cutting expenses to a bare minimum, acquiring, owning less 'stuff' and adopting a 'experience life' lifestyle, instead of 'need more money' attitude. By the time kids come along, how much money you need will depend on your philosophy of what's important for the kids--lotsa stuff, or plenty of loving time together.

When the kids are older years from now, what would you like them say?

"we had little money growing up, but were happy with our loving parents"

or

"our parents brought lots of money and we were financially great".

Your life together might be richer with less money, if that's what you value.

Don't fix what's not broken. Just work with where you are.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks guys.

I talked to my wife. She was surprised. But I think she wants me to take it. She did not say directly "take it!" but more like an enthusiastic "Its a big oppurtunity. I think it will be good for you". We talked and I explained that taking this job will mean leaving hers. She says no problem. Unlike me (who has only worked at one place), she has changed 3 jobs. And in a big city like that, she can easily find another.

And I think she is more excited about moving away'. Like me, she has never lived outside our home city.

The thing is, when I was not married, I was happy go lucky guy. Climbing high and making more of myself than what I am was not a priority. I mean, I had a job that not only covered my every luxury but gave me enough spare time. I was amused by reading in newspaper the articles on psychological effects of high stress work life. So I had no urge to change things.

But upon getting married, there has been a dramatic change in my thinking. I want to make more of myself. I want become worthier in my wife's eyes. If I was not married, I would give this job a second thought. And there won't be this thread.

And now its seems like my wife also wants a change of city too. So thats good. Now remains the part where I talk to my parents and let them know of my decision.

• Like 1
  • Author

The expenses increase because as a bachelor I didn't pay for anything in the house. I lived on my father's money. But upon getting married, I certainly can't do that. So since October a big portion of my income is going into 1/2 of all household expenses.

And I recently bought a car out of my own savings. And I am paying for its diesel. Thats why there has been a little money shortage even there is combined income.

• Author
One strategy, if not wanting to uproot, would be a two-year plan to beat out the other operations supervisors for the slot expecting to open when the associate director retires and the current senior likely moves up

I am not sure if I would like to take the Sr.Production Manager role. Though I am certainly in line in two years time. The role doesn't get as much remuneration as it should. I mean handling a team of 7 Production Supervisors and an entire production facility would get a much much bigger pay in another place.

GunslingerRoland
The expenses increase because as a bachelor I didn't pay for anything in the house. I lived on my father's money. But upon getting married, I certainly can't do that. So since October a big portion of my income is going into 1/2 of all household expenses.

And I recently bought a car out of my own savings. And I am paying for its diesel. Thats why there has been a little money shortage even there is combined income.

Yes, living as a grown up is expensive compared to living with your parents paying your bills...

A number of things:

1) A company where employees are only working 2 hours a day isn't going to continue to be successful like that forever. Find ways to make yourself valuable because when the other shoe drops, show them why they should fire the other 6 supervisors and not you.

I actually knew several companies like that, back where I grew up. They were supported by the government (ie taxpayer money) so of course they were there to stay (for as long as the government stays the same at least). It's been over 20 years and lots of them are still around and employing people.

• Author

Well, I accepted the job today!

My parents were worried but happy. I am happy! My wife is happy!

New city, here I come! Jan 25, 2016