My new peer is a workaholic

I started a new job about 2 weeks ago. I am still doing what they call an "immersion", mainly learning everything about the company (a Fortune-500) and my role.

There is one thing that's worrying me. My peer, with whom I am going to divide the responsibility for my geographical region, is simply a workaholic who lives in the office. I arrive, he's there. I leave, he's there. He told me he worked last weekend.

We went to another city for a business review with all departments of my region (who mostly work in another office/city), and everyone was super thankful to him and praised him for everything he's got done for them in the last months (since he got promoted to this position).

Basically, I am worried that I will have some kind of issue or people are going to look down on me for not wanting to basically not have a life as he does. I asked him if when we divide the region (and I get half the workload), if he's going to work less then. He said that probably not, that "he's used to it". Wth. Maybe when you're 25, ok, people are willing to work/sleep. I did it in my first job, worked hard and worked super long hours trying to show I cared and was talented (which I now believe is a waste of time), but these days I am not willing to do that. I need balance in life. I will try to get things done in a reasonable time, I will most likely not have regular hours in this job, but I am not willing to work past 7pm every night just because he does. Still I am worried I will be inevitably compared to him.

Am I overthinking? Any good advice?

Edited by edgygirl

Quality and quantity do not have to be one in the same. Focus on doing your job well so that people rely on you. You will always have folks who will say that your co-worker responded so fast, etc. However, I have learned jobs are about managing expectations. You expect to have a job and a life and they expect quality timely (not instant) results.

Who knows maybe your coworker will take a cue from you. Stranger things have happened.

• Author

I hope you are right. And that I don't find out that actually tons of overtime is needed or so :(

I don't see the 3 other team members in the same role as I staying past 7pm. All the people in the office (who are below us) do stay late though, as their work is time consuming computer-wise.

Quality and quantity do not have to be one in the same. Focus on doing your job well so that people rely on you. You will always have folks who will say that your co-worker responded so fast, etc. However, I have learned jobs are about managing expectations. You expect to have a job and a life and they expect quality timely (not instant) results.

Who knows maybe your coworker will take a cue from you. Stranger things have happened.

It may be too soon to tell...

Are you able to finish your job responsibilities without working crazy hours? If so, who cares what he does. Some people are happy to sit at work and be the martyrs. As long as you get done what you need to get done, do you really need to worry about his schedule? Nope.

But...in the meantime...work crazy hours like he does and then see how it all plays out. You will find your own groove.

• Author

I don't know yet... I will only start getting my projects slowly and a little later, after this immersion because I have to understand the process etc first. And this immersion has zillions of materials for me to plough through. So by the end of each day around 7pm my mind is almost exploding from all the things I am absorbing (really so much info it hurts) and I just want to leave and relax. While he's still there :cool:

You are right. I'll prob only know what's the real workload when I'm actually doing the actual work my role requires.

It may be too soon to tell...

Are you able to finish your job responsibilities without working crazy hours? If so, who cares what he does. Some people are happy to sit at work and be the martyrs. As long as you get done what you need to get done, do you really need to worry about his schedule? Nope.

But...in the meantime...work crazy hours like he does and then see how it all plays out. You will find your own groove.

I agree with what the others have said - quality over quantity. That will get you noticed.

In regards to your co-worker, he could be putting a crazy amount of hours because he's terribly inefficient at his job. It could also be a front because you're the new kid on the block. I once worked with someone who viewed the hours we worked as some sort of competition. She'd send a couple members of our team a group IM and say things like "who worked over X hours this week?" Meanwhile, every time you walked by her desk she was chatting away on IM and NOT doing her job.

• Like 1
GunslingerRoland

People like to think they are productive working long hours, but most studies show that working more hours in jobs that require thinking, actually lower productivity. Mistakes go up drastically, and are often more costly than the extra time put in.

Like you've said, you're experienced. Work smarter, not harder. You should be fine.

• Like 1

"There is one thing that's worrying me. My peer, with whom I am going to divide the responsibility for my geographical region, is simply a workaholic who lives in the office"

Maybe he has an unhappy home life? Maybe he doesn't actually have a home...I've heard of people who live in the office and hit the gym to shower/sleep in their office/cubicle.

I agree with others...do your job...keep good open lines of communication with management and work smart...it's not always time but quality.

• Like 1

As normal, I'm the contrarian. :p

I agree with Edgy's concerns. She will be compared to him, so she's got to differentiate herself in some other way.

Maybe she is more personable than he is. That would carry her reputation.

Also, I did extremely well early in life in offices by using one trick to get ahead. Advertising.

When I did things, everyone knew. The whole company at each company I worked at regarded me as a superstar, which probably pissed a lot of people off. But... management would parade me around at company wide meetings, showing off accomplishments, etc.

I'm not sure I worked too many more hours than average, but I gave it my all and definitely made sure management was aware of everything I did.

You may benefit from a little advertising as well. It's all politics and you can carve out your own reputation apart from his. Try to take projects that are important to key business goals and hit those out of the park.

Just focus on everyone's perception of you as much as your job details themselves.

Side thought: If he really whallops you, he'll probably get promoted out pretty soon anyway, so that solves that. :D

• Like 1

I agree with loveweary. People, especially women, think that modesty and humility are desirable traits, but it's just not true when it comes to work. If you want positive recognition you have to make yourself stand out, and sometimes you need to boast about yourself even if that feels uncomfortable.

• Like 3
I agree with loveweary. People, especially women, think that modesty and humility are desirable traits, but it's just not true when it comes to work. If you want positive recognition you have to make yourself stand out, and sometimes you need to boast about yourself even if that feels uncomfortable.

I think there is some truth to this. I learned this the hard way, and I am still struggling it. I had an internship where I accomplished a lot, but I kept to myself - mainly because I'm just anti-social. I thought that the full-time staff would notice my accomplishments. When it came down to who got noticed and ultimately received a full-time offer, it was the office slacker who inflated her "accomplishments." While I thought her boasting/bragging was a turnoff, she fooled those who didn't work her daily into thinking she was an expert. It was unreal.

Maybe it was just a terrible experience, but I honestly think standing out in the office has less to do with your work (unless you're completely incompetent) and more of a game you have to learn how to master.

• Like 1

Initially you may have to work crazy hours as he is doing, and then once you're up to speed, you can start working more normal hours. You said he got promoted, so maybe this is fairly new to him too, and he may not continue like this. Actually if I see an employee working so many hours to do the job of one person, I'd wonder if he is struggling.

• Like 1

Work smarter not harder. Keeping a chair warm 12 hours a day doesn't make anyone clever. It makes him look like he can't get his work done. Ignore and carry on.

• Like 1
  • Author

Good points thank you guys.

So it seems like although he is apparently competent, him being always there, is something everyone jokes about.

I'm going to relax and do the hours I can / am willing to do. Lately since I am only doing the immersion for now, it has been up to 7pm.

I can't physically or psychologically work super long hours anymore, although this is the position that has given me the highest salary so far. Let's see how it goes, hopefully things will work themselves out.

• Like 1

I can't physically or psychologically work super long hours anymore, although this is the position that has given me the highest salary so far. Let's see how it goes, hopefully things will work themselves out.

There's no reason you'll need to work insane hours. You will be marvellous in the hours you get paid for!

• 1 month later...
Good points thank you guys.

So it seems like although he is apparently competent, him being always there, is something everyone jokes about.

I'm going to relax and do the hours I can / am willing to do. Lately since I am only doing the immersion for now, it has been up to 7pm.

I noticed you used the word "salary". Since this is a fixed wage, if you can do it within half the time, why not?