Christmas bonuses!

No I'm not suggesting that we share the amount of our bonuses. But what I am curious about is...

1) does your employer give Christmas bonuses?

2) if 1 is "yes," are the bonuses evenly distributed (if you know) or do they vary, depending on:

a) work performance

b) seniority

c) title/position

d) other factors

No. We are a major global, culturally diverse non-denominational company so Christmas bonuses went out along with the office mini bar and smoke rooms.

I am more than happy to discuss multiple bonus plans, pay frequency, percentage payout, objective and subjective thresholds, etc.

• Like 1

I am in charge of the Christmas bonuses for my husband's office.

I try to do something "gifty" each year which always includes a gift card (usually $50).

Last year, it was gift bags with gourmet treats - usually totally about $20 each. Just yesterday, I bought large tea mugs (with diffusers) and they will be filled with a coffee, tea, hot-chocolate, and cookie option along with the gift card. It isn't much, but it is consistent and a way to give more than just money.

• Author
No. We are a major global, culturally diverse non-denominational company so Christmas bonuses went out along with the office mini bar and smoke rooms.

I am more than happy to discuss multiple bonus plans, pay frequency, percentage payout, objective and subjective thresholds, etc.

Yeah I guess I don't have any experience working in huge companies like that. I've always worked either in government or in smaller private employers with 10-50 employees, and the private firms have ALWAYS given Christmas bonuses, at least to me. Sometimes it would be a small token and other times it would be a large check, so I guess I assumed most private employers still give some sort of "year end" bonus/gift.

GunslingerRoland

Government work = no bonuses ever.

I find it interesting how few people consider bonuses when they consider public vs. private salaries. I know people who've gotten bonuses close to their base salary.

• Like 1
  • Author
Government work = no bonuses ever.

I find it interesting how few people consider bonuses when they consider public vs. private salaries. I know people who've gotten bonuses close to their base salary.

Agreed. It makes a huge difference. Although gov't benefits are generally tough to beat.

I have no idea what to expect this year, as I was just hired in the spring, but I would hope to get a Christmas/year-end bonus somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 weeks of salary. We'll see what happens.

Yeah I guess I don't have any experience working in huge companies like that. I've always worked either in government or in smaller private employers with 10-50 employees, and the private firms have ALWAYS given Christmas bonuses, at least to me. Sometimes it would be a small token and other times it would be a large check, so I guess I assumed most private employers still give some sort of "year end" bonus/gift.

We do a year end gift but we do not do anything tied to Christmas as that wouldn't be appropriate.

Our one entity is about 300 corporate employees so they tend to get gifts each year. Usually a piece of clothing with the company's name on it, a small drink cooler/fridge one year, etc. The company will also add in an extra paid day off as a gift as well.

Departments will set up bonus programs that will vary on quarterly, biannual and annual bonuses. We expect our bonuses to be based on certain criteria though there are a few subjective bonuses. I just finished and submitted my Q4 bonus for my department and those not on a quarterly plan (most of mine are set up quarterly) get a year end. The average bonus is 2500.00.

My bonus is a quarterly bonus so I will get my regular bonus. But there are no extras that are added as budgets are approved at the beginning of the year and mid year so no changes after then.

When I was employed all of my employers gave something. The generous ones were based on a combo of merit & how well the company did that year. The cheap ones at least gave $50 gift cards.

As an employer I always give something, a minimum of 1 week's salary because I strongly believe that no one wants a "thoughtful" gift from their employer; they want cash. If the business had a particularly good year & the employee worked hard all year I gave more.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

No more bonuses or parties...

Been an employer for almost 3 decades now...The game has changed...No more loyalty on either side...Everyone is a free agent now....Male dominated business and unless you bring strippers they don't care about a party...And that's fine by me...Want a bonus.? No need to wait for Christmas...Make more money for me and Ill kick you in...:)

Simple as that..everyone happy...

TFY

• Like 3

Nope only bonus we get is two floating Holidays between Dec 21 and Jan 1st

So we select what two days we want off during that time frame.

We only get Annual Cola Raises

No I'm not suggesting that we share the amount of our bonuses. But what I am curious about is...

1) does your employer give Christmas bonuses?

2) if 1 is "yes," are the bonuses evenly distributed (if you know) or do they vary, depending on:

a) work performance

b) seniority

c) title/position

d) other factors

Yes. I work for a hot tech start up and our XMAS bonus is tied to overall company performance goals.

Unlike our regular incentives and bonuses given throughout the year which are based on individual merit, the XMAS bonus is a completely company wide effort. This is done to inspire personal and team ownership and drive all teams to succeed.

If our company target is achieved then we're all paid out a bonus. It winds up being 10% of our salary. For some of us this is huge and for others with smaller salaries not so much. Even though the payouts can be quite generous you have to remember our target numbers are very very high so the company is paying us off some huge profits.

The first year we didn't make our targets as a company thus no bonus. Last year we did and this year we did too. I'm very blessed as this more than pays off the amount of money I spend on gifts.

My company is international/multicultural, so no Christmas bonuses.

The smokers also lost their smoking patio last year.

• Like 1
My company is international/multicultural, so no Christmas bonuses.

The smokers also lost their smoking patio last year.

Poor smokers, they are getting hit on all sides. :laugh: We have soft pedaled with them right now but that is short lived. We are a big carrot and not the stick company but financial penalties are going to be tied to the decision to smoke as we are seeing our costs tied to their decision to keep puffing away. Even the ACA penalizes for those that smoke.

acrosstheuniverse

No. In the UK, I've never had a Christmas bonus, nor have I ever known a friend to receive one. It doesn't seem to be the done thing.

In a very small company you'd be lucky to get a box of chocolates or a bottle of wine each and to me that's a bonus as it's something they didn't have to do that you can enjoy and appreciate.

Although obviously I wouldn't turn a financial bonus down, who would? :p

Yes. I work at a NP agency, so staff members got $350, supervisors got $500, and clinical directors got about $700. I was formerly a regular staff member; last year was my first year as a supervisor and I was pleasantly surprised that my bonus was more.

I got a $100 gift card from the owner at our xmas party last year....I assume that was my bonus. I have no idea if the amount varies. It seems like almost everyone else get a bonus at their workplace. It remains to be seen if my husband gets one. It would be nice since we are stretched very thin this year.

My company has a holiday party at a nice restaurant but we don't get true "Christmas" bonuses. We do get a bonus in March that's a combination of department and company performance and then an additional bonus that's based on individual performance. These can range from $1,000 - $5,000.

• Like 1
After being unemployed so many times since 2008 a christmas bonus for me having a job. lol

I agree....I had some bad luck in 2013-2014 where I had a few gigs not work out....either they went bankrupt, it was temp and decided not a good fit or they didn't have enough work. Thankfully been stable since August 2014.

I agree....I had some bad luck in 2013-2014 where I had a few gigs not work out....either they went bankrupt, it was temp and decided not a good fit or they didn't have enough work. Thankfully been stable since August 2014.

I been stable since Dec of 2013

My employer does not give Christmas bonuses. We have company parties and discretionary gift cards. There are employees who do not celebrate Christmas. Even the parties are called "holiday parties" to be PC. We do have performance bonuses and raises.

My Butler is getting a weeks pay in a addition to having a few paid holidays.

The Maid is a contract worker, she gets the equivalent of a weeks pay but no Holiday pay.

Places I've worked have always offered something...a catered meal, a $25-$50 gift or gift card. My favorite boss offered to buy me a woman. I declined as I wasn't sure I'd have room for her in my studio apartment.

My Butler is getting a weeks pay in a addition to having a few paid holidays.

The Maid is a contract worker, she gets the equivalent of a weeks pay but no Holiday pay.

Places I've worked have always offered something...a catered meal, a $25-$50 gift or gift card. My favorite boss offered to buy me a woman. I declined as I wasn't sure I'd have room for her in my studio apartment.

I remember my supervisor giving me the worst christmas gift of all time last year. A gift card to the liquor store and didn't even ask me if I was a drinker lol

I had to give it to someone because I had no use for it.

We get bonuses at my company but, even as a manager, I have no idea how much my team gets. The bonuses are sent from the corp office. Mine was fairly decent. It helps at this time of year.

Did you guys hear about the Houston-based O&G company (Hilcorp Energy) that gave $100,000 bonuses to each employee? Now THAT'S a bonus!!