Applying for a Job for someone else

So I met this guy yesterday at a networking event and he hires people in his company with skills my sister has. My sister has been laid off a few times, but the company this guy is from is not known to have a lot of lay-offs, since their company is booming. I got his card and contact information. I know I can get my sisters resume to him for consideration, but since my sister and I have the same last name, I know he will realize I am just trying to get her in his company. Is it stupid to send your sisters resume to this guy?

My-coworker also met this guy. Should I have him send my sisters resume so it seems less like a family connection?

Why can't your sister send her own resume? Give your sister his contact info. Have her send a cover letter that says something along the lines of

My sister amkxoxo met you at a networking event on [date] at [location]. Based on the discussions she had with you she suggested I send you the enclosed resume because my qualifications meet your current staffing needs. I am looking forward to meeting with you to further explain how I can be an asset to your company,

Sincerely

amkxoxo's sister.

• Like 4
  • Author

I thought of this, but I feel like since he met me and talked to me, it would be better to have it from me, since he can put a name and a conversation to me, not my sister.

GorillaTheater
I thought of this, but I feel like since he met me and talked to me, it would be better to have it from me, since he can put a name and a conversation to me, not my sister.

Everybody's different, and while I can't say this approach is "wrong", I'd be more favorably impressed if the person who actually wants the job reached out for themselves.

• Like 4
Why can't your sister send her own resume? Give your sister his contact info. Have her send a cover letter that says something along the lines of

My sister amkxoxo met you at a networking event on [date] at [location]. Based on the discussions she had with you she suggested I send you the enclosed resume because my qualifications meet your current staffing needs. I am looking forward to meeting with you to further explain how I can be an asset to your company,

Sincerely

amkxoxo's sister.

Agreed.

This is a much more professional way to go about this.

Give his contact details to your sister.

• Like 1

I get the feeling there's something you're not telling us...

Does your sister actually WANT to work?

Would she appreciate your efforts on her behalf?

Sincerely

amkxoxo's sister.

This is the professionally correct approach.