Many interviews, but no job offer

Not sure if I should post this here. Maybe I just need a place to rant.

It's like more then 30 job interviews I've had for the past few months, and about 7 final interviews. Okay, I admit that at the beginning I screwed up maybe the first 7, 10 interviews, but I got a lot better later on. It's nothing about my qualification, resume or cover letter in this case. I've met with professional to help on my interview techniques. I've been to mock interviews, too, with real employers, and the feedback is very positive after several practices.

I have all my interviews prepared; I studied the companies, looked up the interviewers on LinkedIn, and also asked politely on the context before the interview so that I could address their doubt. I've prepared a few business cases to pitch. I had my closing doing properly with them. I wrote follow up emails to thank my interviewers also reminded them one to two highlights from the interviews. I had also documented my work and results to showcase.

Those final interviews went quite well - or else I would not get a second chance from two of the employers; though I do not understand why I'm not able to get a job offer. I don't quite buy the feedbacks such as "we have a better candidate", "we find the other candidate fits better", or "we go for someone who is more senior". I have tried to ask for a more direct feedback; I actually asked what the concerns the hiring managers had, but I got no further answer.

I don't know if I'm asking for help here since I've done everything. Just ranting to release the frustration, I guess.

• Like 2
acrosstheuniverse
I wrote follow up emails to thank my interviewers also reminded them one to two highlights from the interviews. I had also documented my work and results to showcase.

Am I right in thinking that when you write thank-you e-mails, you actually describe your own personal highlights from the interview to them? If that's the case, stop doing that right away. It's very pushy and a bit arrogant and probably rubs the interviewer up the wrong way that you're implying that they're not able to interview properly, to the extent that you feel the need to remind them. I am wondering if I'm misreading it but I can't understand what else you might mean. I bet when they get an e-mail saying 'thanks for interviewing me, I said *this* and *this* by the way' they immediately toss you in the trash.

Opinions differ on thank-you e-mails, personally I don't write them until I've heard either way about the job. I find 'thank you' e-mails before the decision has been communicated to be very sucky up and kiss ass, I write thank-you e-mails to jobs I haven't been successful with to thank them for their time and to leave things on a good note and show courtesy, building good relations for future possible job opportunities. But never straight from the interview before I know the outcome. I think they're pretty transparently 'please, pick me!' but I know others feel differently.

Keep asking for feedback, but rather than ask, get the feedback and then question them for a more indepth feedback, say in your initial e-mail you're happy to hear any constructive criticism they can offer at all, however sensitive the nature.

The first job I got out of college was DIRECTLY because of the follow-up letter I wrote. The boss actually told me later than he had thrown my resume in the trash can, since I had no experience, but when he read my letter, he went back and pulled it out, and gave me a chance.

I went through training with Right Management after my layoff this spring, and they say absolutely write a follow-up letter, further highlighting what you learned specifically about the job and why you now know you're the right one for it. Give specific examples of work you've done that directly correspond to their specific needs in that position. Add a little personality in that letter, so they can see how you will be as a human being, too. You don't need to brag, just be clear about your benefits that you could offer.

btw, understand that in most places nowadays, you'll have 100+ people for every opening, so your odds are just naturally bad. I have 25 years of experience and it still took me a dozen interviews and 7 months before getting an offer, for a temporary, part-time job. It's just a bad market these days.

Edited by turnera
  • Like 5
GunslingerRoland

I know for me, when I interview, I'm usually pretty good at sorting out the best candidates from those that aren't as good. It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong... you may just not be the best candidate for any of these jobs. Is the market oversaturated for what you are looking for? How about word of mouth? If the interviewers go in knowing that you a prime candidate with a strong trusted track record, it'll usually bounce your score up slightly.

If they are taking people more senior then you, maybe you are applying for jobs you are under qualified for?

You're using LinkedIn, right? To gain connections in as many places as possible so that if you see a job at a company where you know someone, you can ask him/her to put in a good word for you.

• Author

I have benn asking for a more specific feedback politely and emphasis on just for my next interview's sake, but no one would like to explain to me further because they are afraid to get sue.

I guess the market is oversatuated as large corperates are cutting. Those people swarm to small businesses. The fact that my role has very few opening compare to other roles in a company makes the competition extremely fierce. I'm supposed to be quaified enough or else I won't be getting so many interviews. Right now I could look so underqualify just because of those over qualified people fight for the same role.

It would be easier to understand why I was only getting close but not be able to score if some honest feedbacks could be like, "the other candidate's approach on such problem is closer to what we are looking for", or "a candidate who has a longer year of experience in this domain can help on our project immediately". But no, the employers don't give a me a sh!!t.

A few people have been helping me on interviews and everything around it, including thank you letter. A professional licensed job coach has forward me a few samples, too. I can keep polishing my thank you letter but I seems to be doing fine with it. I think the only help I lack of is to practice with someone more senior in the same role as me, but unfortunately, I don't know anyone. My former colleagues are all overseas.

I have been using LinkedIn to connect with people, too, but too bad I really have no strong internal contact. I use LinkedIn to connect people and message those who have potential to hire, or even just an informational interview.

I'm running out of ways.

The only thing I can add is that I keep hearing that most people find jobs through other people. Don't know if that's true, but it can't hurt to let people you know or even people you run into that you're looking.

Not sure if I should post this here. Maybe I just need a place to rant.

It's like more then 30 job interviews I've had for the past few months, and about 7 final interviews. Okay, I admit that at the beginning I screwed up maybe the first 7, 10 interviews, but I got a lot better later on. It's nothing about my qualification, resume or cover letter in this case. I've met with professional to help on my interview techniques. I've been to mock interviews, too, with real employers, and the feedback is very positive after several practices.

I have all my interviews prepared; I studied the companies, looked up the interviewers on LinkedIn, and also asked politely on the context before the interview so that I could address their doubt. I've prepared a few business cases to pitch. I had my closing doing properly with them. I wrote follow up emails to thank my interviewers also reminded them one to two highlights from the interviews. I had also documented my work and results to showcase.

Those final interviews went quite well - or else I would not get a second chance from two of the employers; though I do not understand why I'm not able to get a job offer. I don't quite buy the feedbacks such as "we have a better candidate", "we find the other candidate fits better", or "we go for someone who is more senior". I have tried to ask for a more direct feedback; I actually asked what the concerns the hiring managers had, but I got no further answer.

I don't know if I'm asking for help here since I've done everything. Just ranting to release the frustration, I guess.

What sector? I'm very senior and I went on 33 interviews since mid July. Don't give up

• Author

You are right on internal referral, turnea. I got my last job with direct referral. I was the only candidate.

Everyone knows I'm looking, but almost no one can help me. 95% are not in my sector, the rest is in the companies either hiring freeze or cutting. The last direct referral contact won't be able to help anymore. I have the worst luck in the world, ya?

I'm in software and Internet technology related sector. Some bigger ones and banks' tech department are cutting people. I'm not sure about the smaller ones and startups, but startups are where the pain lies... They are extremely picky.

I've also gotten jobs from following up , but that is unusual you've had so many interviews and no offers.

Eternal Sunshine

I hope you don't get offended but how are your social skills? Do you make friends easily? Do people often avoid you?

The only people that I know of who had that many interviews but no offers had one of these things about them:

1. An "off" personality, as in they did and said things that weird people out but were completely unware of this.

2. Had a CV that somehow missrepresented them which came to light during interview/reference check.

justanickname

I have the same problem with you, OP.

Some companies even seemed to be kind, giving me hope that I could get in, but then kept silence for the last minutes, even I tried to reach them to get to know what was wrong.

It is tiresome, I wish we both got luck...

• Author
I hope you don't get offended but how are your social skills? Do you make friends easily? Do people often avoid you?

The only people that I know of who had that many interviews but no offers had one of these things about them:

1. An "off" personality, as in they did and said things that weird people out but were completely unware of this.

2. Had a CV that somehow missrepresented them which came to light during interview/reference check.

That's a good question.

I don't think I'm socially awkward; I do admit that I can't please everyone I meet or I can be friend with everyone (or vice versa, not everyone wants to be friend with me.) I keep my smile like 70% of the time in any occasion.

English is not my mother tougue, that matches your "off" personality description in some way: I'm less talkative with English speaking people if they are not socialable or open-mind enough to keep the conversation going. I have no problem making friends with anyone speaking any language IF he or she is the same foreigner as me, because, no offense, those people who travel, work and live in a foreign country are generally much more open-minded and much more willing to interact with different cultures. I DO have a little trouble be friend with English speaking people in an English speaking country. I have to stress that they are nice and friendly.

For my CV, I didn't lie or even bluff, only picking and choosing whatever highlights me.

• Author
I've also gotten jobs from following up , but that is unusual you've had so many interviews and no offers.

It might sound unusual because the majority's problem is not even getting an interview, but when I google this topic, I found tons.

• Author

For those who are struggling: thanks for the encouragement. Don't give up because we simply cannot give up :( If I could, I wish to file a complaint to the government that the current job-labor matching system sucks.

• Author

I cannot edit my previous post so I update some more thoughts here...

Even like I said I might have difficulty interacting with some people, I think the chance of they find me "weird" so stop hiring me is odd. They could have moved on with others after the screening and the first interview. The first interview last for an hour and that should be long enough for them to judge if this person is a cultural fit and is able to be communicated with.

I have benn asking for a more specific feedback politely and emphasis on just for my next interview's sake, but no one would like to explain to me further because they are afraid to get sue.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. I think you'll find they don't give you tailored feedback simply because of the number of rejected candidates, because they haven't got the time to give detailed feedback.

I work in the tech/IT/software field and we tend to get at least 6 or 7 candidates for any one position. With our normal workload, deadlines and delivery dates to keep to, we just haven't got the time to tell each individual why they weren't successful.

i have a co-worker friend who has gone on 22 interviews in the past 7 months with no success. after that amount of interviews i firmly believe it's the person and not the companies. it could be age-related, race-related, something more personal as to why you aren't being selected. the way you dress, your language/accent, clothing choices, poor speaking skills, etc. it might even be complete mismatch between you and the job(s) you're seeking. you obviously would know *how* to interview after so many opportunities, so i'd really be focusing on presentation and how you come across in looks/voice/dress

True. I do feel there's something weird going on in the market. I just (finally) got a job offer, although I've been to several interviews since July.

I admit though that I f-up the first ones as I was going through family issues and probably gave a bad vibe although I was trying to hide my internal conflicts.

I qualified for all positions I interviewed for. But I feel the reason I got the offer is not only I have the right experience for the job's description, but because I seemed to be a good fit to the team/company personality-wise. I have a feeling a lot of hiring managers choose based on that. So perhaps try to make them feel you're the right one not only based on your skills but also on your personality. OP - if possible, try to gauge very quickly during the interview what kind of vibe would go well with them and act like that. I know it's hard but not impossible to do. Good luck!

Don't take it personally, this is happening to a lot of people. It's just a BS year.
Edited by edgygirl
  • Like 1
  • Author
i have a co-worker friend who has gone on 22 interviews in the past 7 months with no success. after that amount of interviews i firmly believe it's the person and not the companies. it could be age-related, race-related, something more personal as to why you aren't being selected. the way you dress, your language/accent, clothing choices, poor speaking skills, etc. it might even be complete mismatch between you and the job(s) you're seeking. you obviously would know *how* to interview after so many opportunities, so i'd really be focusing on presentation and how you come across in looks/voice/dress

I have an odd feeling that my first language is the main factor for the failures. Not exactly discrimination, but how I present my thoughts might cause the failures. The fact that I have never met an English-as-a-second-language individual since my job hunt for this role in this country. I have started this profession in another country and have worked for multiple countries.

Thanks for the tip.

• Author
True. I do feel there's something weird going on in the market. I just (finally) got a job offer, although I've been to several interviews since July.

I admit though that I f-up the first ones as I was going through family issues and probably gave a bad vibe although I was trying to hide my internal conflicts.

I qualified for all positions I interviewed for. But I feel the reason I got the offer is not only I have the right experience for the job's description, but because I seemed to be a good fit to the team/company personality-wise. I have a feeling a lot of hiring managers choose based on that. So perhaps try to make them feel you're the right one not only based on your skills but also on your personality. OP - if possible, try to gauge very quickly during the interview what kind of vibe would go well with them and act like that. I know it's hard but not impossible to do. Good luck!

Thanks! That's a good advice.

I'm from a different ethnical background and the vibe is definitely different.

Don't take it personally, this is happening to a lot of people. It's just a BS year.

I agree. It usually takes me 2-3 months and I am able to land a job. It's been 6 months for me and I'm currently employed. Right now I haven't been as active since opportunities are severely limited around the holidays unless you're in retail.

If you're thinking your ethnicity may play a part, why not just bring that up, in a friendly way? Like "Look, I understand you may feel I may offer a disadvantage, not being from this country, but look at it this way: If I wasn't so driven to succeed and make some company glad they brought me on board, I would have stayed in my home country. I'm hungry! I want to find a place where I thrive and do great things for my company, so they value me and also so that they are glad they brought me onboard."

It's just rough to get a job, period. It's bad, and it has been bad for a few years now.

In the past 3.5 years I've been laid of twice due to company downsizing, or reorganization.

My most recent job I've been at for 2 years now, and it took me a little over 8 months of putting out resumes daily, and interviewing multiple times a week for me to get this job offer. In those 8 months, I received one job offer. It's tough.

It depends what industry you're in as well. I would apply to a job, and then see on LinkedIn that 200+ people applied for the same job. You better REALLY make an impression if you want to be chosen out of hundreds of people.

My boss now told me she was very impressed with the questions I asked her during the interview process, and that my enthusiasm for the job was unquestionable.

You can look perfect on paper but if you show up and you're just "blah" about it, you won't get chosen. I joke with everyone that I basically got down on my hands and knees and begged my current boss to be hired for that job. I did everything just short of doing that. I kept saying how I'd love to work for that company, and be there, and I'd always wanted to be in that part of the industry.

Tons of enthusiasm for the position and a very clear interest in being there will make you a good candidate b/c they will see you want to be there and you'd make a good employee.