If I stayed longer hours would I be used?

I work part time at a thrift shop, well it's not even really part time. Eight hours a week. So that's 2 days for four hours. I just recently started working on the sales floor and I feel good about that, great. On Monday my boss asked me how's it going and I told her great. She said good, she's happy to hear that. Then she said she may ask me to work a little over time for an hour or two more if their short of staff on the sales floor. She asked if that would be ok and I said yes. In a way it really would. But part of me is wondering, wouldn't that be asking last minute? What if I have something to do after my 4 hours the day she might ask? Or what if Im just tired and feel like well my shift is four hours right? So if I'm going to get more hours, great, but give them to me straight, not only if Im needed. Would that be using even though she's mentioned it to me in advance that it might happen?

• Like 1

If she was asking you if you were generally available for overtime, I would have told her that you would be happy to help as much as you can when needed, but there may be times where you have to leave by the end of your shift. That way they don't always have the expectationthat you will be able tp dp it every time. It also shows asertiveness and at the same time conveys you would like to be respected.