Question - how many are in executive equivalent positions?

Sometimes I wonder if advice is given based on the level that people are at in their career. I was wondering how many are at the executive level or equivalent (owner/operator, franchisee, etc).

I know that the advice I may have given years ago as a mid-management level and what I would give now are world's apart. There is far more at the big picture level you are exposed to but I know I also struggle/can't relate with peer pressure or peer level issues because they just don't come up as much. I can really speak more as a manager dealing with subordinates for those issues than anything else.

For those at this level, are you at the highest point of your career or you trying to achieve higher?

I know that my goal, which is in the next 3-5 years is to make it to the C-Suite. Most likely not in the company I am in now but am getting some interesting offers as well as being offered to join different Boards. I have the next 10 years to really cap out my career and so really trying to stay focused on it as well as juggling my personal life.

And finally if you are a woman, how have you handled the pressures and glass ceilings of being female at this level?

Thanks!:)

UpwardForward

I'm an entrepreneur, but think my expertise of today's market also lies with what I am hearing from my customers, especially those whose companies are larger that mine.

In my situation I think it's good to have other endeavors or reaches. But if you love your field, then I can understand why one would want to continue to the top.

When I was working for others, I didn't notice any glass ceilings. If I wanted a higher position, I would just switch companies. Each job/company offered a higher starting position, than the previous.

Edited by UpwardForward
  • Author

I think the glass ceiling does come into play, and stats show it, in regards to childbearing, etc. and the impact on your total income potential. While a lot has improved, women are still in the minority, as well as all minorities, on Boards and in the upper echelons. I know in my company I am one of three top females at the VP and higher level.

I agree, a lot does come from moving around and not being afraid to take a chance. All about moving one's cheese. ;)

I do enjoy my field though I am not married to it. It is a good all encompassing foundation that would allow me to oversee numerous areas though I would say Accounting/Finance would be outside of my bailiwick. :laugh:

• Author
Great thread. I am still in mid-management level, but hope to get to VP level one day so I'll be following it.

Sorry it actually is pretty quiet so not sure how many are interested or fall into the slot. :laugh:

I have a call with a recruiter this week about a SVP position for a pre-IPO company. Might be worth the risk.

I’m the CEO of a lemonade stand. I don’t know about corporate life other than what I’ve observed when those operations temporarily hire my lemonade stand after they get in trouble. I have no credibility on anything related to large organizations. :)

• Like 2

I am an executive of an 8 figure company working on 9 figures. Then again, people often don't think that counts due to being a co-founder. But, this is my third company and I'm still in my 20s. So despite being young I've been blessed with experiences normally saved for people 30 years into their career.

I could probably get a VP position at a lot of companies...but the thought of no longer being an entrepreneur is unacceptable.

I have made it to COO level of an organisation with budgets in the Bn.

I didn't experience the glass ceiling as such. I was fortunate enough to have sponsors who were women and they gave me opportunities that in reality I probably wasn't ready for but managed to swim. I will be forever grateful for this.

So while no glass ceiling, my presence and the change that I brought with me had men who had previously supported me come out swinging. I suspect I stepped out of my place (helpful, obliging, being the support role) to one where I was making change that impacted individuals negatively. Aspects of it were awful and I don't believe a man would have been treated the same way with the same nasty, low blow comments.

I now work as a consultant on primarily strategic projects at a state and federal level, or with R+D organisations. So I still work with the c-suite, just on the other side of the table.

I really love my current role and I would only return to the boardroom as an employee if it allowed me to continue as authentic in my approach as consulting does.

I've zero ambition to climb a ladder. Best corp leaders or owners do not refer to their staff as subordinates... they normally have a reciprocating regard for the group and what is brought to the table.

One of our three owners is female , she doesn't fair well though, hasn't learned to be civil... always thinks she has to fight every battle to prove herself... when sometimes not being soo aggressive may get her more support from us follow employees...and our customers. She rubs many the wrong way.

When you realize that 1/3 of your life is going to be chasing the illusion that money and title are the golden goose... you stop. Regroup .. and reinvest that 1/3 into real aspirations... not someone elses...

• Like 1

I don't need to work, so I don't.

I spend my time on things that are more important to me than any job could ever be.

That option isn't available to everyone, but I love it.

• Like 1
  • Author
I've zero ambition to climb a ladder. Best corp leaders or owners do not refer to their staff as subordinates... they normally have a reciprocating regard for the group and what is brought to the table.

One of our three owners is female , she doesn't fair well though, hasn't learned to be civil... always thinks she has to fight every battle to prove herself... when sometimes not being soo aggressive may get her more support from us follow employees...and our customers. She rubs many the wrong way.

When you realize that 1/3 of your life is going to be chasing the illusion that money and title are the golden goose... you stop. Regroup .. and reinvest that 1/3 into real aspirations... not someone elses...

Tayla, for someone who doesn't have similar aspirations or experience how do you know the terminology that leaders use? Subordinate is a pretty standard word used and is neutral in its usage.

And just because you don't see the value of it doesn't mean there isn't value. It is far more about chasing money. What I have done, what we have built is far more than what you believe it is about. Since that hasn't been discussed please don't assume that it is about money and title; in fact I haven't said a word about income.

So just because you don't agree doesn't mean you should come on and insult others who believe differently. Just plain rude.

• Author
I don't need to work, so I don't.

I spend my time on things that are more important to me than any job could ever be.

That option isn't available to everyone, but I love it.

Yes trust funds are nice. ;):laugh:

Even if independently wealthy I would still do what I do but probably in a consulting role. I love what I do and I love helping owners achieve their goals.

Good luck in the interview! That's probably a good time to get into a company and get some early stocks :)

Sorry it actually is pretty quiet so not sure how many are interested or fall into the slot. :laugh:

I have a call with a recruiter this week about a SVP position for a pre-IPO company. Might be worth the risk.

I agree. For me going up the ladder is so much more than money or title. It's about things I can do in the world if I get to the right position. I want to improve processes, companies, people's lives and experiences. My main intention honestly is the desire to change things in the world. If it's accompanied by good money, even better. Why not? ;)

And just because you don't see the value of it doesn't mean there isn't value. It is far more about chasing money. What I have done, what we have built is far more than what you believe it is about. Since that hasn't been discussed please don't assume that it is about money and title; in fact I haven't said a word about income.
  • Author

For those that ARE interested/are moving up the dreaded ladder:laugh:

How did your career trajectory happen? Was it through mentors? Right place at the right time? Connections through networking? Connections through college/university friends/greek connections, etc?

Did you plan to be in your field? Did you start somewhere else and migrate over to it?

• Author
For those that ARE interested/are moving up the dreaded ladder:laugh:

How did your career trajectory happen? Was it through mentors? Right place at the right time? Connections through networking? Connections through college/university friends/greek connections, etc?

Did you plan to be in your field? Did you start somewhere else and migrate over to it?

For myself I would say to some degree I fell into it though big picture it makes a lot of sense looking backwards. Some of my career is due to contacts but the biggest impact was taking a chance and being at the right place at the right time. It was a lot of learning on the fly and thinking two steps ahead.

Going forward my career will be dictated by networking and reliance on what I have shown capable of doing and the idea I can do it again and again.

What I have loved is creating from scratch. Seeing a company develop and evolve, seeing how the people impact it, leaving their footprint and how organic the process can be. I am not sure if I want to leave the "start up" world. The most exciting life stages of a company is the first few, once it levels off, becomes mature, and starts to focus on cutting fat, not "jumping the shark", etc. is not as interesting to me. The infrastructure becomes too embedded and too difficult to affect change.

And speaking about the people, I completely believe I have never succeeded in anything I have done without the people who were on the team with me. I have taken the approach to hire the best and the brightest as they are why we are successful and I am the coordinator of the team efforts. I have learned what makes a company successful is each employee feeling that they are vital and important, they are not just a cog in the wheel, and they feel valued for their contribution. Being able to answer those needs is the difference between what keeps an employee around because it is a paying job and what keeps an employee there because they are passionate about the company.

While money is definitely a motivator for people, and a higher motivator for some than others, it becomes old fast and left wanting more. It has a short shelf life before it has become standard/old news.

• Like 1

Well... to be honest, anyone can be CEO nowadays if they want to be. Technically I am the 'owner' and 'founder' of a company for a whopping cost of $280, except I'm the only employee... :p Not that I need anyone else for now, I mostly just founded it to protect myself from litigation.

• Like 3
  • Author
Well... to be honest, anyone can be CEO nowadays if they want to be. Technically I am the 'owner' and 'founder' of a company for a whopping cost of $280, except I'm the only employee... :p Not that I need anyone else for now, I mostly just founded it to protect myself from litigation.

Lol, very true! You are definitely correct. :laugh:

• Like 1

For me it was a combo of moving to another country to work for an internationally famous guy right out of school, which then made the most important company in my field sponsor my visa to the US. In my next job (also for a major company in their field), things happen in a way that I caught the eye of a Partner, then the Board of Directors and their counsel/Chief Legal Officer, and they ended up firing a guy with 20 years more experience than me and promoting me to his position, which included to represent the company in NY as well as in my country of origin, of interest to them at the time. That’s when I got interested in Business Development & Operations through work with the Partner who mentored me.

My next job was for a Fortune-500 where I was in contact with the SVP of my international region and I realized I am even more interested in Business than in my original field. Hence the desire to do an MBA soon. I know I have a very strategic, innovative, forward vision than most, but need the basic business skills to support it. I also want to be able to work in varied fields and not be tied exclusively to the one I originally studied. I am starting a new job soon for another Fortune-500 and hopefully can get the right mentor/connections, as I think it’s fundamental to move forward in any company, no matter how skilled you are. It doesn't hurt that I got a 40% salary/bonus bump! :)

So for me I think it was a combo of skills + being at the right place + a little mentoring.

For those that ARE interested/are moving up the dreaded ladder

Edited by edgygirl
  • Like 2
Yes trust funds are nice. ;):laugh:

Even if independently wealthy I would still do what I do but probably in a consulting role. I love what I do and I love helping owners achieve their goals.

What makes you think that somebody else is paying my way?

Nobody is.

• Author
What makes you think that somebody else is paying my way?

Nobody is.

You were cryptic so I was making a joke.

You said you haven't needed to work so . . . lottery? :p

You were cryptic so I was making a joke.

You said you haven't needed to work so . . . lottery? :p

A good education and hard work.

GotIt I'm very senior and I thought my high point went in the spring of this year but I actually am now at my highest point. Suggestions and a question:

What is your industry and what would be your CxO area? Finance, Technology etc.

Become a non Exec board member of 2 boars in your field. Get 2 mentors in different but complimentary areas if you want to be a CTO ask a CFO to mentor because at that level you will have your own P&L

Volunteer!

Good luck

thefooloftheyear

Ive been the boss for almost 30 years...Big medium and kinda small.....I have more shyt than I deserve, owe no one anything, and I'm cheap enough that I could live to 200 with no issues...

So would you like fries with that?

:p

TFY

• Like 1
  • Author
Ive been the boss for almost 30 years...Big medium and kinda small.....I have more shyt than I deserve, owe no one anything, and I'm cheap enough that I could live to 200 with no issues...

So would you like fries with that?

:p

TFY

Love the customer service! Always upsale! :laugh:

• Like 1