Internship in another part of the world

Hi, guys

I just wanted to ask something. I'm about to finish my Master in Management in Paris and I need to make an internship in an enterprise.

As you may know, I'm from Eastern Europe and was thinking to search for one in Great Britain or even USA. My final goal is to return to France and continue living and working there. Why go in England or USA in order to do that when my main goal is to stay in France? Because they value international experience like crazy and I need that to compensate the fact that my school isn't between the best around (you gotta pay for 'em).

Anyway... I wanted another opinion. And if you could give my some sites of American or British resumes and cover letters... I know I can find them easily on the net, but I would like to know what I find - as in quality and representativity.

Thanks,

Curly

PS And with this thread, I'm officially BACK. Missed you, gang!

an international experience in and of itself always sounds like a good investment. Why? because you're exposed to ideas and customs that you probably not encountered before. And it's a heck of a way to network (probably the biggest plus here). And, you learn to think a different way because you're looking at someone else's approach to the subject -- I imagine that varies greatly from country to country.

resumes? man, it's been about 10 years since I've worked on mine, but someone had posted some good style suggestions on the 'Shack way back when a poster requested ideas.

another idea is to go on line and look for colleges/universities here in the US that offer similar programs to what you're in, then contact their job placement office to see what they can recommend.

good luck on the internship, it sounds like it'd be a cool experience ...

• Author

Woow, great idea!!! Colleges and universities!

Because I found a few sites and the info was a bit... different!

My biggest fear is that I'm an East European who finished her studies in France, wants to make her internship in England and wants to return in France to work... I'm afraid I won't have continuity, coherence...

Thank you, quank, missed you.

An internship in the US might be one of the hardest to get. Companies are very reluctant going through all the immigration authrorizations to hire a foreigner (it costs them a lot of $$).

Why don't you try looking at companies that have a global presence. They can place you in their other offices.

A suggestion would be to look at companies like "Ernst and Young" and "Price Waterhouse and coopers" they have excellent internship programs in different countries.

Another thing to consider is that relocation costs for a short period of time can be very high especially in the US.

• Author

Never even thought of that. I'm sure that living in the States is expensive, but here... it's almost outrageous (in Paris, a 11 m² room is around 400-500 E).

Thanks for the tip, anyway. Given it's an internship, I thought I didn't need a working papers :(. I'd better do my homework more properly!

Hugs,

Curly

being in the business/finance/IT world myself for the last 15 yrs my suggest is you get an internship in France since you want to stay there permanently anyways.

international experience as an intern would be almost worthless from the united states cause interns are not given much responsiblity or credibility cause they usually are young and have very little real world experience.

Since I have worked for 4 or 5 Fortune 500 companies in the U.S. (including IBM) my recommendation is to get a job in France with a multi-national and then have them send you to their locations/offices in other countries to get international experience.

• Author

Thanks for the info. I'm a bit... puzzled right now :). I hope I finally get an internship, in France or elsewhere !!!