I had my annual review

...And I got a 10% raise! I was so nervous and expecting it to go badly, but it went well and apparently they only gave one other person a 7% review in the past couple of years as they generally only give 3-5%. But since my position has evolved and changed so much since I started, they felt it necessary to compensate more due to all the duties added to my load. I'm still only making like $21k, which ideally I would need to make $35k-40 to feel comfortable, but the raise definitely makes me feel better than I have been lately about my small salary. I know everyone at my company is grossly underpaid and that the only way to make what I need to have a decent living is to move on, but I also want to take my time in finding the right opportunity. They told me the key to making more is to take more of a leadership role and bring more revenue to the company...however, even then I am likely to only expect a 3-5% raise next year...which honestly isn't enough considering what I make now, but I will work at it while keeping my eyes open for other opportunities. :)

• Like 11
GunslingerRoland

I'd definitely increase the job search... if the best you are going to get is 5% raises, when you factor in inflation you'll be retired by the time you double your salary.

But good job on getting the 10%, if nothing else you should get a positive reference for somewhere else!

• Like 2
acrosstheuniverse

Congrats on the raise! You know despite consistently being employed with only a two week break since I was 16 (and usually two jobs at once) I never ever once got any kind of promotion or a raise... maybe they do things differently in the states? Here in the UK it tends to be that you get paid the amount set out in your contract no matter how good or bad you are at the job. You would never just get a 'raise' that means you're paid more than your colleagues in the same role.

However I started working for a massive national organisation that provides healthcare in my country, the first job I got was at a certain level and within a few months I'd nabbed a totally different job a grade higher. So I'm going to go ahead and pretend I essentially got a promotion on that one :p

Well done.

• Like 3

PS, well done!! :D:

What is good is they have told you what to brush up on..so you can practice those skills there (are there things you know you could do to step up? What do you do? Can we help?) and keep your eyes open for other work in a company where the salaries are generally better all round.

They appreciate you. They are encouraging you. They see potential in you. All is good!

In the UK pay rises do not match inflation and you're lucky if you get one. 5% is pretty much the absolute max unless in particular circumstances. 2-3% is normal but still lucky if you get it and most in my company do not so 10% is amazing!

Maybe as GSR said in Canada things are different and maybe their economy is much healthier?

ATU - that sounds like a promotion to me!! Good for you!!

• Like 1
GunslingerRoland

It depends here in North America. 10% annual increases are definitely not the norm.

But the OP's salary last year, was between just over, to just under minimum wage, for most of North America. Which is pretty unheard of for someone who has job responsibilities of the type she is talking. She clearly isn't flipping burgers.

• Like 1
It depends here in North America. 10% annual increases are definitely not the norm.

But the OP's salary last year, was between just over, to just under minimum wage, for most of North America. Which is pretty unheard of for someone who has job responsibilities of the type she is talking. She clearly isn't flipping burgers.

Maybe I see the positives.

The economy is not great and PS has had a few works struggles so personally for me I see this as a huge encouragement and I think she should take it as such.

I don't think a personal 10% raise should be mourned over no matter what salary range a person is on.

Positive breeds positive and I was really happy to see her post! :)

• Like 1
  • Author

Yes, I was making $39k at one point just out of college 2 years ago, so I am definitely underpaid. Part of it is that I work 30 hours a week and not 40....I think they are trying to maximize as much work if they are able while keeping the hours the same. It was definitely more of a raise than what I was expecting, so I feel more positive about continuing to work there and improve my resume while keeping my options open. They even said they are more than willing to help polish my resume if I feel I need to move on for any reason. Definitely unusual for a company and this definitely is not a typical corporate office. Though I'm still not comfortable with them knowing I am looking. It is good experience since I work with and do marketing for over 50 of our store locations....the role built itself since it was a new position when I started. My boss made a comment in my review that he didn't even know I had a Bachelor's degree...which was odd, but explains the pay rate. :laugh:

Ideally, I wanted full time, but at the time I accepted this position, I wasn't in a position to be picky and needed to make ends meet so I could move out after living with family for a year when I had lost my previous job.

• Author
Congrats on the raise! You know despite consistently being employed with only a two week break since I was 16 (and usually two jobs at once) I never ever once got any kind of promotion or a raise... maybe they do things differently in the states? Here in the UK it tends to be that you get paid the amount set out in your contract no matter how good or bad you are at the job. You would never just get a 'raise' that means you're paid more than your colleagues in the same role.

However I started working for a massive national organisation that provides healthcare in my country, the first job I got was at a certain level and within a few months I'd nabbed a totally different job a grade higher. So I'm going to go ahead and pretend I essentially got a promotion on that one :p

Well done.

Contract roles here would pay me about twice as much, but unfortunately a lot of them are very short term and I need stability right now to pay off debts. However, in most areas, employment is "at will", so even "contract work" can end at any time.

• Author
I'd definitely increase the job search... if the best you are going to get is 5% raises, when you factor in inflation you'll be retired by the time you double your salary.

But good job on getting the 10%, if nothing else you should get a positive reference for somewhere else!

Exactly and my boss pointed out that due to this raise, I would need to have even better performance by the next review to even get the 3-5% raise with inflation. That would only be about 70 cents more per hour. :( Not too motivating, but keeping positive while the experience here will eventually land me something much better paying. I also don't have any benefits...health insurance or paid vacation time etc. I am able to live on my own with my husband in an apartment...things are tight and we don't have much $ left to save after bills, but we're getting debts slowly but surely paid off.

Exactly and my boss pointed out that due to this raise, I would need to have even better performance by the next review to even get the 3-5% raise with inflation. That would only be about 70 cents more per hour. :( Not too motivating, but keeping positive while the experience here will eventually land me something much better paying. I also don't have any benefits...health insurance or paid vacation time etc. I am able to live on my own with my husband in an apartment...things are tight and we don't have much $ left to save after bills, but we're getting debts slowly but surely paid off.

How many hours are you working per week? The details you give (no benefits, subpar salary) would only make sense if you're a part-time employee.

Yes, I was making $39k at one point just out of college 2 years ago, so I am definitely underpaid. Part of it is that I work 30 hours a week and not 40....I think they are trying to maximize as much work if they are able while keeping the hours the same. It was definitely more of a raise than what I was expecting, so I feel more positive about continuing to work there and improve my resume while keeping my options open. They even said they are more than willing to help polish my resume if I feel I need to move on for any reason. Definitely unusual for a company and this definitely is not a typical corporate office. Though I'm still not comfortable with them knowing I am looking. It is good experience since I work with and do marketing for over 50 of our store locations....the role built itself since it was a new position when I started. My boss made a comment in my review that he didn't even know I had a Bachelor's degree...which was odd, but explains the pay rate. :laugh:

Ideally, I wanted full time, but at the time I accepted this position, I wasn't in a position to be picky and needed to make ends meet so I could move out after living with family for a year when I had lost my previous job.

You know, you have some power here, bargaining power.

It's been a new role for the company for one. If I were you I would be looking at ideas for other tasks you could undertake whilst you're there.

Use the initiative you have.

You could always ask if there is a chance you could become full time instead of part time too. I would ask. Don't ask, don't get.

Clearly someone else employed you too as your boss didn't know of your degree.

Where I work I started off helping one of the departments out with really standard stuff. We had a bit of a witch for a boss (I'll call her Clare) to be quite honest.

I had been struggling at the time to find any work and this was local though a big pay cut (with an agreement for not huge rise should I become permanent - the rise never happened whilst Clare was there) and longer hours so I just took it.

While the Clare was there the situation was not good, not for any of my team but eventually she was made redundant.

I then had a review with my Director (I'll call him David. He was Clare's boss and we all reported to Clare) and David literally tore up the previous review I'd had with witchy and said 'I want to interview you please!'

Which he did.

He was amazed when I told him of the experience I had.

That review changed everything for me - just everything!

Because he had found out I have experience in various things which none of the rest of the team did he straight away began to delegate this and that to me. I was eager for it and he appreciated when I asked what was priority (at the point where I really had no idea) and I also asked questions - even dumb ones because he could see I had the best interests of the business and our margins at heart. Sometimes I asked a smart question and something he hadn't spotted. My confidence grew. It's good to see the reaction on your boss' face when they go 'Really? Show me and explain what has been happening.'

Just this year I had a big meeting with David as things were not working. Timelines had changed due to changes made by our US entity. I had too much on my plate and was only gaining workload dues to changes in business strategy, but not losing any. I was working very late hours (9am until 11pm at worst and around 5 hours on a Saturday and or a Sunday as well). This was for several consecutive weeks over a year and we don't get paid overtime.

I had an initial meeting with David, he blocked me from losing this and that and I already had a very willing taker for the tasks (Emma) which I needed to lose - plus they were 100% in line with the role which he was building for her. But he said no.

There was another task which I wanted to add but he told me flat out no to that one.

Then he was away from the office. He was on holiday if I remember correctly.

Emma and her mentor (Emma is studying) asked me about my meeting and what I wanted to lose and they simply took over the tasks because they were and still are relevant to Emma and her studies. David didn't initially trust that she could do them but he now knows she is very capable.

The task which David told me a flat out 'No' to.... Well, I went to speak to another Director (Graham) about it and he totally approved of the idea and told me who to speak to, asked me to trial it and wanted feedback.

When David returned I didn't tell him what had gone on right away.

I left it a few days.

On day one Emma handed his morning report to him - so - yeah he would have sussed something had just changed in his absence.

In fact, two weeks went by before I even said a word.

I wanted to see the results of the 'flat out no'.

The results were visible to me when I put calculated our sales teams commissions. Instead of 60 cost and revenue queries (standard per month prior to that) there were just 3!!

When myself and David went through the commissions calcs as we always do - that is when I dropped it in that I had done the express thing which he had told me not to. I apologised but also said that the team it concerned were happy, it made less work for me and therefore for him too.

He told me that he had noticed a week before but figured that the team involved had stepped up. Basically all of his figures at month end were much MUCH closer to what we were invoiced by suppliers.

This happened about 6/7 months ago and not a month goes by where he doesn't exude delight (yup! He is mega happy!) that I just did it. He admitted he was wrong by month 3 of me doing this.

Big lots of waffle here but what I am saying is see if you can see what you can do to add value. Your role is new and unestablished - you see your own role more than anyone else so you have a fantastic capacity to grow that role.

Marketing now is so much about the web too. Maybe you could get some training and get more involved on that side (become the ghuru) - that kind of thing?

There is likely to be a way from your system to gain access to product popularity - which you could then use to promote a not so popular product.

At this early stage then speak to your boss before implementing things but you might find you get a trial or a 'go ahead and do it!'.

The more you learn and know about the business the better, becoming an expert in something is great too (eg the web - for me it's Excel).

I learn something new about my company at least once a week.

• Author
How many hours are you working per week? The details you give (no benefits, subpar salary) would only make sense if you're a part-time employee.

You might have missed an earlier post, but I work 30 hours a week.

• Author
You know, you have some power here, bargaining power.

It's been a new role for the company for one. If I were you I would be looking at ideas for other tasks you could undertake whilst you're there.

Use the initiative you have.

You could always ask if there is a chance you could become full time instead of part time too. I would ask. Don't ask, don't get.

Clearly someone else employed you too as your boss didn't know of your degree.

Where I work I started off helping one of the departments out with really standard stuff. We had a bit of a witch for a boss (I'll call her Clare) to be quite honest.

I had been struggling at the time to find any work and this was local though a big pay cut (with an agreement for not huge rise should I become permanent - the rise never happened whilst Clare was there) and longer hours so I just took it.

While the Clare was there the situation was not good, not for any of my team but eventually she was made redundant.

I then had a review with my Director (I'll call him David. He was Clare's boss and we all reported to Clare) and David literally tore up the previous review I'd had with witchy and said 'I want to interview you please!'

Which he did.

He was amazed when I told him of the experience I had.

That review changed everything for me - just everything!

Because he had found out I have experience in various things which none of the rest of the team did he straight away began to delegate this and that to me. I was eager for it and he appreciated when I asked what was priority (at the point where I really had no idea) and I also asked questions - even dumb ones because he could see I had the best interests of the business and our margins at heart. Sometimes I asked a smart question and something he hadn't spotted. My confidence grew. It's good to see the reaction on your boss' face when they go 'Really? Show me and explain what has been happening.'

Just this year I had a big meeting with David as things were not working. Timelines had changed due to changes made by our US entity. I had too much on my plate and was only gaining workload dues to changes in business strategy, but not losing any. I was working very late hours (9am until 11pm at worst and around 5 hours on a Saturday and or a Sunday as well). This was for several consecutive weeks over a year and we don't get paid overtime.

I had an initial meeting with David, he blocked me from losing this and that and I already had a very willing taker for the tasks (Emma) which I needed to lose - plus they were 100% in line with the role which he was building for her. But he said no.

There was another task which I wanted to add but he told me flat out no to that one.

Then he was away from the office. He was on holiday if I remember correctly.

Emma and her mentor (Emma is studying) asked me about my meeting and what I wanted to lose and they simply took over the tasks because they were and still are relevant to Emma and her studies. David didn't initially trust that she could do them but he now knows she is very capable.

The task which David told me a flat out 'No' to.... Well, I went to speak to another Director (Graham) about it and he totally approved of the idea and told me who to speak to, asked me to trial it and wanted feedback.

When David returned I didn't tell him what had gone on right away.

I left it a few days.

On day one Emma handed his morning report to him - so - yeah he would have sussed something had just changed in his absence.

In fact, two weeks went by before I even said a word.

I wanted to see the results of the 'flat out no'.

The results were visible to me when I put calculated our sales teams commissions. Instead of 60 cost and revenue queries (standard per month prior to that) there were just 3!!

When myself and David went through the commissions calcs as we always do - that is when I dropped it in that I had done the express thing which he had told me not to. I apologised but also said that the team it concerned were happy, it made less work for me and therefore for him too.

He told me that he had noticed a week before but figured that the team involved had stepped up. Basically all of his figures at month end were much MUCH closer to what we were invoiced by suppliers.

This happened about 6/7 months ago and not a month goes by where he doesn't exude delight (yup! He is mega happy!) that I just did it. He admitted he was wrong by month 3 of me doing this.

Big lots of waffle here but what I am saying is see if you can see what you can do to add value. Your role is new and unestablished - you see your own role more than anyone else so you have a fantastic capacity to grow that role.

Marketing now is so much about the web too. Maybe you could get some training and get more involved on that side (become the ghuru) - that kind of thing?

There is likely to be a way from your system to gain access to product popularity - which you could then use to promote a not so popular product.

At this early stage then speak to your boss before implementing things but you might find you get a trial or a 'go ahead and do it!'.

The more you learn and know about the business the better, becoming an expert in something is great too (eg the web - for me it's Excel).

I learn something new about my company at least once a week.

Ok so here's the thing...though this was a new position, I was told early on there was potential for full time. I definitely made it clear that full time is important to me and also mentioned it again last week. Early last year, I was told I was going to be taking over my coworker's position as she was moving into PR once she trained me and went on leave and that would have led into full time. Once she came back, they changed their minds on that...BUT decided to add a different task to my position and my boss said that would give me more hours. That was in April. Since I was hired over a year ago, my hours haven't changed once despite adding considerably to the job description. I am now under the impression that they are probably trying to maximize the load without going over the threshold that would mean needing to provide me with beneifts. I stuck this position out this long as I was basically lead on to believe I would be full time in the near future. Once I got close to the year mark, I decided to start looking elsewhere and keeping options open. I originally had another job and this was going to be a second job. Well, when I was laid off the other job, I went from 20 to 30 hours a week here and I decided not to look for an additional 2nd job so I could grow into full time here.

Did you mention it at your review?

Did your boss respond to that in anyway? I'm guessing he possibly didn't know the 'agreement' or potential agreement on it just like he didn't know about your degree.

Do you have to write anything up as a result of your review if you do you can make a point of it in that document.

Otherwise I personally would likely bring it up as an addition to the review - just ask the boss for a quick chat.

You have nothing to lose by asking and at the very least it sets the seed of thought rolling.

We have a part timer and she used to do about 15 hours a week, she asked for more hours and was vocal about it over several months. She got the extra hours. She is part time still but does 30 hours now which is what she wanted. She is Emma in my above post.

• Like 1
  • Author
Did you mention it at your review?

Did your boss respond to that in anyway? I'm guessing he possibly didn't know the 'agreement' or potential agreement on it just like he didn't know about your degree.

Do you have to write anything up as a result of your review if you do you can make a point of it in that document.

Otherwise I personally would likely bring it up as an addition to the review - just ask the boss for a quick chat.

You have nothing to lose by asking and at the very least it sets the seed of thought rolling.

We have a part timer and she used to do about 15 hours a week, she asked for more hours and was vocal about it over several months. She got the extra hours. She is part time still but does 30 hours now which is what she wanted. She is Emma in my above post.

Yes, they kept asking if I still had questions. Still got the same answer as before about being more "valuable" I get that, but this same guy said before that the specific added duties would mean more hours and never happened. So it was my same boss whom we've discussed full time for the past year. Not sure why he didn't know I had a degree. I interviewed with him twice, I think. Maybe it was because it didn't require a degree, which explains the pay. A lot of people work in PR and IT in upper positions and are still underpaid. It's definitely a fun company with a lot of perks. But right, now I need $$, not freebies. :laugh: It was a hard decision as I wanted to move up, but realistically, it's a fairly small office with minimal advancement and my boss did tell me once that if I wanted $25 an hour, this probably wasn't the place for me.:o