I hate this. Coworkers emailing and suddenly the boss is included? Why? It's like saying, "im telling on you."

Co worker asked if something could be done by tuesday am. I said yes and I would maybe come in Monday night to get it done. Email tonight from her (and sent to boss as well) asking where it was. I told her Id come in early tomorrow to get it done by Tuesday morning, as she asked. I included boss too. But, WTF?

To be fair she was only chasing it up at the time when you said you would have it done by.

It was obviously something she had delegated to you at the boss' request or knowledge and they were both expecting it to have been completed by the time you said.

Best way to stop this happening is one of three:

Put such a request higher up your priority list and get it out of the way well within the deadline.

Give feedback prior to the deadline that instead of completing it Monday night you will be doing it early Tuesday morning.

Just decline the task if you know you cannot fit it in prior to the deadline.

I agree, proactively communicate so if you didn't come in on Monday having emailed out on Monday indicating that you would be in the next day to do so or just not sweat having your boss cc'd.

(Though whether you are exempt will play a factor on being on email and coming in on a day off.)

I am big on transparency so I expect to be cc'd on a lot of correspondence and I will have the owners cc'd on emails to me. I have no reason to feel guilty if I am doing what I am supposed to do. And if not then that is my reminder for a gentle slap on the hand. (And I say this as an executive.)

It's work life, get used to it. :)

• Like 1
  • Author

I would just never do this. I go to the person directly. No reason to have boss involved. And actually, I did get it all done Thursday and she found a mistake in it that required a redo. She is a new person and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot.

I talked to my husband about it as he is a boss. He said he doesn't need any more emails than he usually gets. Come to him if there is a problem. There wasn't a problem. I got it done this am and she is good to go. If I hadn't, THEN I can see getting him involved.

• Like 1
I would just never do this. I go to the person directly. No reason to have boss involved. And actually, I did get it all done Thursday and she found a mistake in it that required a redo. She is a new person and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot.

I talked to my husband about it as he is a boss. He said he doesn't need any more emails than he usually gets. Come to him if there is a problem. There wasn't a problem. I got it done this am and she is good to go. If I hadn't, THEN I can see getting him involved.

To be honest if I had seen a mistake and something needed to be re-done I would expect it to be done asap and not have to chase it up. Perhaps she thought you had forgotten about it needing to be re-done.

If it was me who had made the mistake I would re-do whatever it was straight away and resend it with an apology for the original error.

If my boss was chasing me on something delegated to someone else I would not leave it until after the report was required to let him know it hadn't been done/adjusted and that I didn't know what was happening with it. That's really unprofessional.

• Like 1

It is common practice at my job to CC the boss anytime we are having to follow up or coach someone (usually coaching).

It's the BCC that I think is kinda rude.

• Like 1
  • Author
To be honest if I had seen a mistake and something needed to be re-done I would expect it to be done asap and not have to chase it up. Perhaps she thought you had forgotten about it needing to be re-done.

If it was me who had made the mistake I would re-do whatever it was straight away and resend it with an apology for the original error.

If my boss was chasing me on something delegated to someone else I would not leave it until after the report was required to let him know it hadn't been done/adjusted and that I didn't know what was happening with it. That's really unprofessional.

I did. But I was away for the weekend and it had to wait until I got back. There was nothing I could do from afar except promise it would get done.

I doubt the boss even knew we were doing this, just a new thing we decided to try.

Edited by katielee
added sentence

It's called "CYA"... Cover Your A$$.

She is brown-nosing... making sure that the BOSS KNOWS that if the project falls through, it's on YOU, not HER.

*ugh* (Steer clear of her if at all possible.)

In fact, I would even REFERENCE the boss... *Mr. Smith, I am unclear as to why you were included in this email chain. The project has been concluded.*

I hate this. Coworkers emailing and suddenly the boss is included? Why? It's like saying, "im telling on you."

Co worker asked if something could be done by tuesday am. I said yes and I would maybe come in Monday night to get it done. Email tonight from her (and sent to boss as well) asking where it was. I told her Id come in early tomorrow to get it done by Tuesday morning, as she asked. I included boss too. But, WTF?

try this boss asks X where it is. X says you are working on it and it will be ready Monday night. boss asks/yells at X Monday night where is it and/or I (boss) need it first thing Tuesday morning. X is informing the boss X followed up. younger people prefer email for various reasons including it leaves a paper trail.

BTW saying you will do something and not doing it is YOUR problem not your co-worker. next time email X of your updated timetable --- problem solved.

• Like 4

It all depends on the situation.

For all you know, the person in question could be getting pressure FROM the boss inquiring on a status and they are explaining what is going on and the reasoning is not good enough, so suddenly they get CC'ed.

I've personally had experience of people not getting stuff done until a boss is CC'ed. Clearly, not the case here, but if you are doing your work as you previously stated, there should be no issue with whoever is CC'ed. If you are doing things correctly and in a timely manner, what does it matter?

I never pay much mind to this as my boss is included in a lot of things...mostly it's just to keep people posted of an assignment. You're thinking about it too much.

try this boss asks X where it is. X says you are working on it and it will be ready Monday night. boss asks/yells at X Monday night where is it and/or I (boss) need it first thing Tuesday morning. X is informing the boss X followed up. younger people prefer email for various reasons including it leaves a paper trail.

BTW saying you will do something and not doing it is YOUR problem not your co-worker. next time email X of your updated timetable --- problem solved.

This down to a tee.

• Author

Would agree but before I left for vacation she said she needed it Tuesday morning. I met HER timetable. Said I MAY get it done Monday night. But being the timetable was still tuesday I didn't rush back.

I don't care if people CC my boss in the emails they send me. I am diligent and transparent so they could CC the whole company for all I care. As other have already mentioned it could be the boss was bugging her about it and so rather than keep going between the two of you she just included him into the correspondence. Nothing to get defensive about. In this case I would have just sent an email with her boss CC'd that as you already stated you will have it completed by Tuesday morning.

I sometimes cc my boss just to let him know what I'm working on. In this case the cc seems inappropriate but I wouldn't/couldn't do anything about it anyways.

When I used to work in a very toxic environment/for a terrible boss they would cc him on stuff. It drove me nuts but most of the time those emails didn't even result in the boss talking to me about it so I guess no harm.

hmmm. CC'ing the boss in situations like this seem to be a CYA move that can be used as evidence later if necessary. Covering oneself just in case......saying "See, boss? I'm doing MY job." If boss has asked to be copied on every email and to be kept informed of every step, that's different. But I don't think OP is over-thinking it.

It's called "CYA"... Cover Your A$$.

She is brown-nosing... making sure that the BOSS KNOWS that if the project falls through, it's on YOU, not HER.

*ugh* (Steer clear of her if at all possible.)

In fact, I would even REFERENCE the boss... *Mr. Smith, I am unclear as to why you were included in this email chain. The project has been concluded.*

I agree with this. Also, depending on your relationship with the boss OP, boss could be using her, and she is new so she does what she is told. Besides, even if she wasn't new, the boss is the boss. Boss may have told HER to cc him/her, but not told YOU. The situation would put me on guard.

Edited by applej4

I've seen this happen... and it never ended well for the person doing it.

• Author

Boss may have told HER to cc him/her, but not told YOU. The situation would put me on guard.

I thought about this. But I've been working for him for 15 years and he's never asked me to do this nor have I heard of him asking this of others here. She's worked for him for about 3 months.

But, I don't get along with her co-worker in her dept (the only person here I don't mesh with) so maybe she warned her about me. This other person and I have had go arounds with who's job is it to do a particular job.

People CC in my boss at times thinking it's going to make me do what they want but unless your doing something you shouldn't be hen ccing in your boss shouldn't bother you. Sometimes when I'm emailing co-workers I cc in my boss because it usually shuts them up.

I thought about this. But I've been working for him for 15 years and he's never asked me to do this nor have I heard of him asking this of others here. She's worked for him for about 3 months.

But, I don't get along with her co-worker in her dept (the only person here I don't mesh with) so maybe she warned her about me. This other person and I have had go arounds with who's job is it to do a particular job.

aaahhhh, that sheds a different light on it. The co-worker most likely had something to do with it.

Go arounds?

What on earth is 'go arounds'?

Sorry but if that is petty arguments about work then I can see why the new boss may have been warned - she probably had just sussed it herself though to be honest - and why the CCing is happening.

Worklife is not personal. It never should be.

Take a stance, stop the 'go arounds'.

Total waste of time and energy!

Your deadline was Tues AM, you ended up going in early Tues AM to sort it. Your boss didn't know that you had planned to do that until Monday night when she asked for the info at which point in time you say you 'may' do it. Gaaaah!!!

Heck! Just communicate! Drop the 'go arounds' and communicate like an adult. Life is so much easier when you do. :)

OP, you've worked for him 15 years, she has been working for him for three months ...sounds like there may be a bit of jealousy (hers) going on there too.

God knows I have experienced jealousy from a few female co-workers I have worked with throughout the years. And they pulled this same type of crap .....in an attempt to undermine me.

Be assured it never worked, it only made *them* seem petty.

When I interact with my co-workers (via text or verbally) re a particular task or project, I keep it between US.

The boss doesn't want to hear or know about this petty crap, he has enough on his plate.

IMO, she was brown-nosing .... unless your boss specifically asked her to follow up and cc him .... but given your history with your boss, highly doubt that was the case.

Sounds like she may be trying to micro-manage you ...problem is, she is NOT your manager, she's a co-worker!

You completed the project on time, that is all that matters.

Now if it been your boss who texted you, totally different story. But a co-worker? She needs to mind her own business....and focus on her own job and leave you to do yours, which you did! On time!

Edited by katiegrl

***Co worker asked if something could be done by tuesday am. I said yes and I would maybe come in Monday night to get it done.****

Email tonight from her (and sent to boss as well) asking where it was. I told her Id come in early tomorrow to get it done by Tuesday morning, as she asked. I included boss too. But, WTF?

Quote in asterisk -- next time, just respond "yes I will have it done by Tuesday a.m."

Which you did!

Just out of curiosity, why is your **co-worker*** assigning projects to you? Did your boss originally assign it to her, and she asked you to help out because she was busy?

Not understanding the dynamics there. My co-workers don't assign me projects. My supervisor or manager assigns me projects.

My co-workers might ask me to help them out if they are crunched. Is that what happened?

A but confused about that.

Quote in asterisk -- next time, just respond "yes I will have it done by Tuesday a.m."

Which you did!

Just out of curiosity, why is your **co-worker*** assigning projects to you? Did your boss originally assign it to her, and she asked you to help out because she was busy?

Not understanding the dynamics there. My co-workers don't assign me projects. My supervisor or manager assigns me projects.

My co-workers might ask me to help them out if they are crunched. Is that what happened?

A but confused about that.

Work politics can be a mess