Got turned down for a job

I missed out on a role with my dream employer for the third time last week, and I'm pretty cut up about it. I was one of final two on two occasions now and have received positive feedback each time I have applied. This time it was because of an internal candidate, the previous was according to the recruiting manager 50-50 but the other person had slightly more experience.

It's been a year of rejection from employers. I have applied for hundreds of roles and interviewed for at least thirty. I am employed at the moment but don't feel my career is progressing and I'm stressed out a lot of the time because I feel I can do so much more.

How can I prevent this latest outcome affecting my self esteem? its starting to hurt quite a bit

You have a choice on how to interpret not getting the job, why not choose an optimistic one? Believe there is something better suited that will make you happier down the road. The universe may have saved you a lot of headaches and angst you aren't aware of. I work in the world of free-lance, and that's how I choose to interpret not getting jobs I have been excited about. And so far, I've been right.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of employers are just playing games in the hiring process. I would press harder to close the deal in interview if at all possible. Try and break through the static.

• Like 2
  • Author

Thanks for your replies, appreciated.

It's partly my fault, didn't do as well as I could have at school and also wasn't decisive enough with what course I chose, so while the twenties I didnt care, now in my thirties it's really really bothering me Im not where I want to be.

I'm going to do some training to open up some more options, its about time I took some action, it won't be easy but its all I can do at this stage.

I feel that. I finished undergrad in the Recession with no real marketable skills. Ended up going back to school, coming out with lots of skills and now just fighting to get to the front of the line. Every job you apply for, you are competing against dozens if not hundreds of people. The struggle is real.

I missed out on a role with my dream employer for the third time last week, and I'm pretty cut up about it. I was one of final two on two occasions now and have received positive feedback each time I have applied. This time it was because of an internal candidate, the previous was according to the recruiting manager 50-50 but the other person had slightly more experience.

It's been a year of rejection from employers. I have applied for hundreds of roles and interviewed for at least thirty. I am employed at the moment but don't feel my career is progressing and I'm stressed out a lot of the time because I feel I can do so much more.

How can I prevent this latest outcome affecting my self esteem? its starting to hurt quite a bit

Understand that it had ZERO to do with you or your capabilities for doing this position. The ONLY reason you weren't hired is because there was an internal candidate that was involved.

It doesn't matter how great you did on your interviews or how amazing your resume is... 98% of the time the company will ALWAYS give the position to the internal candidate.

2 reasons why:

1. That person has been an intern or worked in another area for that company or business so they've already been trained and are involved in the culture that your employer is trying to establish/continue. Even if they are less qualified, they're already part of the "team" and they're gonna get the shot to prove themselves over you (a stranger to them)

2. If they hire internally they do not have to pay the recruiting service or head hunter that set you up with the interview. That's a big deal. Recruiters charge a large fee or percentage, so they avoid that by hiring internally.

Some recruiting firms charge 30% of the new hires 1st year salary. So why would they want to pay that?

• Like 1

At least they let you know instead of just ignoring you after the final interview process. I'm feeling the same way about a job I'm starting to feel I didn't get. I had my final interview 2 weeks ago and not one word from them. I sent two follow up emails...a thank you note and a simple follow up asking if they decided on a candidate. Both were ignored so far. I should give them the benefit of the doubt...maybe someone is extra busy or went on vacation, because to just burn someone after several interviews and not letting them know whether or not they got the job just seems like a slap in the face. I agree with the other posters though. It may have just not been meant to be.

• Like 1

By the way, if you do use recruiting firms to set you up with interviews (that's the way to go nowadays too btw... You'll never get a real job if you waste your time submitting resumes to jobs.com and sites like that)... Just in the future ask your recruiter to tell you or have them inquire to if there's an internal candidate interviewing for the position that's open. Most recruiters will tell you that but some don't do its good to ask.

Anytime I was told an internal candidate was involved then I didn't waste my time doing that interview. Just move on to the next open option. Why go on 3 interviews and get your hopes up just so they can say "we really like you and want to keep you in mind for future openings down the line, but we are going to go with an internal candidate for this one... It has nothing to do with you"

• Like 1
  • Author

It's become so difficult out there, even with entry level jobs. I keep meeting people with Masters degrees who are struggling. I'm starting to wonder if University is worth it anymore with so many graduates out there.

I'm leaning toward trade schools where specific employable skills are taught at the moment instead of academic as market seems saturated with academic degrees.

• Like 1
By the way, if you do use recruiting firms to set you up with interviews (that's the way to go nowadays too btw... You'll never get a real job if you waste your time submitting resumes to jobs.com and sites like that)... Just in the future ask your recruiter to tell you or have them inquire to if there's an internal candidate interviewing for the position that's open. Most recruiters will tell you that but some don't do its good to ask.

Anytime I was told an internal candidate was involved then I didn't waste my time doing that interview. Just move on to the next open option. Why go on 3 interviews and get your hopes up just so they can say "we really like you and want to keep you in mind for future openings down the line, but we are going to go with an internal candidate for this one... It has nothing to do with you"

This post is downright ridiculous.

First, THE single best way to get noticed is to spread out your resume in just about ever job board you can. CareerBuilder, Monster and Dice are some big ones. This is also how you get noticed by recruiters, who go looking in there for people who may fit a certain niche when they have an opening they're working on.

Second, I don't think it's fair to say that you shouldn't bother applying for a job if there's an internal candidate. In some cases, the employer may actually want to hire someone from the outside. For example, when there's nobody sufficiently competent that could take the job.

For my most recent job transition, I was chosen despite the fact that there were not one but THREE internal candidates in the very same team I was applying to manage. My qualifications ultimately prevailed, even though they had to pay me a lot more.

This post is downright ridiculous.

First, THE single best way to get noticed is to spread out your resume in just about ever job board you can. CareerBuilder, Monster and Dice are some big ones. This is also how you get noticed by recruiters, who go looking in there for people who may fit a certain niche when they have an opening they're working on.

Second, I don't think it's fair to say that you shouldn't bother applying for a job if there's an internal candidate. In some cases, the employer may actually want to hire someone from the outside. For example, when there's nobody sufficiently competent that could take the job.

For my most recent job transition, I was chosen despite the fact that there were not one but THREE internal candidates in the very same team I was applying to manage. My qualifications ultimately prevailed, even though they had to pay me a lot more.

All of my recent positions I have actually gotten through CL. With Monster and CB, I had to actually remove my phone number as I was inundated with calls for MLM schemes or Sales positions.

This! That is how I found my current job. Uploaded my resume to Monster and Career Builder (among other sites) and the recruiters were calling me!

Firms and companies also scout for candidates this way.

Re telling you they chose an internal candidate...I never believed them when they said that. I just think it's a nice way of letting you know they chose someone else....perhaps more qualified, or more likely, someone they felt was a better "fit."

I have found that being a good "fit" is sometimes more important than one's job qualifications!

All of my recent positions I have actually gotten through CL. With Monster and CB, I had to actually remove my phone number as I was inundated with calls for MLM schemes or Sales positions.

That's happened to both myself and my husband a few times too, but I'd say 85% of the calls and emails were legitimate companies or recruiters.

-A

That's happened to both myself and my husband a few times too, but I'd say 85% of the calls and emails were legitimate companies or recruiters.

-A

Man, it's totally the opposite for me. Sometimes I will get a technical recruiter here in there. Dice has been great though too.

Man, it's totally the opposite for me. Sometimes I will get a technical recruiter here in there. Dice has been great though too.

Perhaps your resume needs some fine tuning?

A position opened up at my work recently. I was only an assistant, and the position was for a similar position to the one I was assisting. They offered it to me in advance, which I accepted, but they are legally required to conduct interviews.

3 women came in to interview. All with at least 2 years experience in the field. One had over 20. I smiled and greeted each of them as I shoot their hands. I knew that both me and the people conducting the interview all knew that no matter who walked through that door, no matter how good they were, I was getting that position.

The guy with zero actual experience in the position, and who had absolutely no idea how to do the actual job.

Use my story to understand that it was not your fault that you did not get it, but you were an unfortunate casualty of a machine that just keeps on turning.

Is there a rival company you can join?

• Like 1
Perhaps your resume needs some fine tuning?

Nah, I make it very clear what I'm looking for in my objective statement. I don't think people seem to understand the difference between sales and marketing. And I get lots of calls from other sites, so I don't think it has to do with my resume other than people assume you want sales or a MLM scheme if you're in the Marketing industry.

• Author

Wow Keenly, congrats! still bit scary for rest of us!

Starting to think it's a blessing, a sign I need to reconsider my actual career options and change completely. 7 years till Im forty so got time!!