Sending pizzas after an interview seems odd! [Update - husband got job]

There’s a lot of background to this story and a lot more details, but I am not going to go into that. Let’s just say my husband left $38/hr job even when he didn’t have another job lined up. I ended up finding a job in an area he’d love and at a place he’s already familiar with. The guy emailed the day after he got his resume and said he’d like to talk with him right away. He interviewed there and it sounded like they wanted to bring him on but he was all blaise about it and told me that it wasn't as exciting as he thought and he told them he needed a couple weeks as he was looking at other options. Um, what other options?? Apparently he was holding back because he thought FOR SURE he’d get an interview for this painting job with his old company (which he has no experience with!) but got the email the day after the interview saying he was passed over. If he had gotten that rejection email the morning before his interview he would have accepted the job I found for him. You don't have a job and haven't worked in 3 1/2 months. You don't get to be picky! Then last Friday he apparently realized that he really needs a job and getting one isn't as easy as he thinks so emailed the place to say that he "wrapped up his business this week and would be able to start whenever and to give him a call". Still no call from them. Then 2 days ago, and this seems over the top, he had 5 large pizzas sent to them. I'm not sure if it was sent anonymously or if his name was on the delivery form, but Tuesday afternoon he emailed the guy who interviewed him asking how the pizzas were. Still no response from that guy. The guy could be out for a bit as he had mentioned he’d be out at some point in the next couple of weeks.

I mean okay I give him points for doing something original like that so he'll stick out in their minds, but I don't know that I would ever go so far as to send a bunch of pizzas, even if it is just a casual shop. I 'd feel weird doing that and I'd feel REALLY weird if I didn't get a response!

• Like 1

He is not getting that job. He has a poor attitude.

If an interviewee ever told me he'd contact me after checking out his other options I would assume he is not really interested in working for me.

• Like 4
  • Author

Well I don't think he said that in so many words. I can't know exactly what was said unless I was there to hear it myself. He's kind of told me a few slightly different versions as it is so who knows but I think he said he had business to wrap up and wouldn't be available for about 2 weeks.

That's a little weird, the pizza thing. I mean, I can be bought with pizzas, but i don't see how a company would AFTER he shunned the opportunity. Your guy needs a wake-up call, but at the same time he obviously can't be in that bad a need for money if he's throwing down a Benjamin on Pizza for strangers.

Pizzas, really?! I bet they were laughing their greasy faces off about it the whole next week.

• Like 1
  • Author

Oh he didn't have the money for it. I mean he literally didn't have money in the bank for those pizzas! I'm sure he put it on one of his credit cards.

Well, you married him.

And yes, it was weird. And tell him thanks for the pizza, but I'm definitely not hiring him now that I know all this backstory.

• Like 3

I would think an interviewee was crazy if they sent over five pizzas. It's bizarre behavior. There is no way he will get that job.

• Like 4
I would think an interviewee was crazy if they sent over five pizzas. It's bizarre behavior. There is no way he will get that job.

Do you think a truckload of ribeyes would have done the trick?

• Like 3

Seems weird but more importantly inappropriate. Chances are he guaranteed he won't be getting the job, as the pizza maneuver tells them he's into coercion et al and his professional ethics may be a bit shady - sth they probably don't want in their organization.

• Like 2

I've had remote interviewees have stuff delivered during the time they were on the phone with me (like donuts or coffee), but not after. I disagree that I would think coercion. But to be honest, it wouldn't affect my opinion either for or against them.

But when someone takes my offer and it seems like they are going to shop it around to get the best deal possible...I usually stop considering that person. I know it's "just how people do things", but to me it's insulting.

• Like 2

Candidates will do things to stand out so I don't think the pizza idea is weird in and of itself but it is more the timing of it. Usually it is done right after the interview as a thank you and remember me, not having giving a (temporary) brush off.

It wouldn't sway mine or any other hiring managers' opinion of the candidate but they would stand out. A good interview, it would be a good thing, a bad interview and it is appreciated but doesn't change the decision.

I think he may have jumped the shark with them and needs to understand timing and proactiveness better. Lesson and learned and needs to keep looking.

• Like 1

It sounds like he's lazy and unmotivated...he quit a $38 an hour job because he felt like it after slacking off and calling in sick half the time. Unless you want to be in for a lifetime of having to be his mommy and find him a job (which probably won't work as HE needs to put forward the effort to land the job), I would look at your options. It's not as if you need to rely on his income. The pizza thing is a bit extreme. It's not unrealistic to ask for a little time to ponder a job offer...but a few weeks isn't going to fly. Now maybe if he asks for 48 hours to a week that is one thing, but not a few weeks so he can dick around.

• Author
It sounds like he's lazy and unmotivated...he quit a $38 an hour job because he felt like it after slacking off and calling in sick half the time. Unless you want to be in for a lifetime of having to be his mommy and find him a job (which probably won't work as HE needs to put forward the effort to land the job), I would look at your options. It's not as if you need to rely on his income. The pizza thing is a bit extreme. It's not unrealistic to ask for a little time to ponder a job offer...but a few weeks isn't going to fly. Now maybe if he asks for 48 hours to a week that is one thing, but not a few weeks so he can dick around.

Like I said, I don't know EXACTLY what was said as I've been told different versions by him. He's told me he told them he needed a couple of weeks to "wrap up business", then a couple days later he told me he told them he needed a week, then two days later he was wondering why they hadn't called yet and sent them an email saying he had "wrapped up his business earlier than expected", then another time he told me that they weren't looking at anyone else and he was expecting an offer. He called me after the interview and told me they talked for two hours yet he called me an hour after the interview was to have started so....??? It's anyone's guess what was really said!

But regardless, I would think the guy who interviewed him would at least respond via email saying either "Thanks for the pizzas but we've gone with someone else", or simply that "We've gone with someone else" or that they are still considering people. Especially since H does business with this place and has for the past few years and the guy who interviewed him actually helped him with his large purchase a few years ago. I woudl think the guy wouldn't want any hard feelings if he still wants his business. That's why it makes me think this guy is out for the week like he said he would be, but didn't have an exact date at the time of the interview.

Edited by Mapper71
Like I said, I don't know EXACTLY what was said as I've been told different versions by him. He's told me he told them he needed a couple of weeks to "wrap up business", then a couple days later he told me he told them he needed a week, then two days later he was wondering why they hadn't called yet and sent them an email saying he had "wrapped up his business earlier than expected", then another time he told me that they weren't looking at anyone else and he was expecting an offer. He called me after the interview and told me they talked for two hours yet he called me an hour after the interview was to have started so....??? It's anyone's guess what was really said!

But regardless, I would think the guy who interviewed him would at least respond via email saying either "Thanks for the pizzas but we've gone with someone else", or simply that "We've gone with someone else" or that they are still considering people. Especially since H does business with this place and has for the past few years and the guy who interviewed him actually helped him with his large purchase a few years ago. I woudl think the guy wouldn't want any hard feelings if he still wants his business. That's why it makes me think this guy is out for the week like he said he would be, but didn't have an exact date at the time of the interview.

The harsh reality is...sometimes leaders of companies make mistakes. I try to personally respond to people that apply and thank them for taking the time to show interest in our company.

Sometimes a few fall through the cracks. You can guess all you want on the reason for the absence...but there's not a lot you can do about it.

The other thing to consider is that sometimes hiring is not very urgent. Sometimes I'll hire for a position I know I won't need for another 3 months (knowing I would take the right candidate if they were obvious and appeared in front of me). If I get a bunch of so-so candidates I will sit on them for a while. No reason not to.

• Like 1
  • Author

The other thing to consider is that sometimes hiring is not very urgent. Sometimes I'll hire for a position I know I won't need for another 3 months (knowing I would take the right candidate if they were obvious and appeared in front of me). If I get a bunch of so-so candidates I will sit on them for a while. No reason not to.

Well my husband told me that this guy wanted him to start within a few days of the interview, so it seems like they do want someone quickly. Yet, the ad is still posted up on Craigslist and has been for almost a month now.

Well my husband told me that this guy wanted him to start within a few days of the interview, so it seems like they do want someone quickly. Yet, the ad is still posted up on Craigslist and has been for almost a month now.

Yeah, your husband tells you a lot of things. It's OBVIOUS they don't want to hire him regardless of the pizzas.

• Like 3
  • Author

Like I said, the guy was going to be off for a week in the week or two following the interview. He wasn't sure of the dates yet. He could very well not be there.

Like I said, the guy was going to be off for a week in the week or two following the interview. He wasn't sure of the dates yet. He could very well not be there.

So what's your question?

You think they should hire your husband so they don't lose his business?

That's expecting a lot.

Do you anticipate your husband will spend every dime he earns at his employer? Is it a Harley Davidson dealer?

Look, fact is, word gets around. I'm sure they have some way of knowing your husband is ripe to abuse the system. Did he state up front he's going to need FMMLA?

• Author
You think they should hire your husband so they don't lose his business?

That's expecting a lot.

Do you anticipate your husband will spend every dime he earns at his employer? Is it a Harley Davidson dealer?

Look, fact is, word gets around. I'm sure they have some way of knowing your husband is ripe to abuse the system. Did he state up front he's going to need FMMLA?

No, no and no. Besides, FMLA wouldn't be available there due to not enough employees :)

• Author

Well NOW he tells me the reasoning behind the pizzas. When I got home yesterday we were talking about the whole thing and he tells me that he did send the pizzas earlier this week, BUT it was due to a conversation he had with the guy at the interview saying that he never did send them the pizzas a few months ago that he said he would after they helped him with an issue. I now do remember him telling them that as we were leaving the shop back in April but I figured it's just one of those things you say and don't do. So now it doesn't seem so odd.

Well NOW he tells me the reasoning behind the pizzas. When I got home yesterday we were talking about the whole thing and he tells me that he did send the pizzas earlier this week, BUT it was due to a conversation he had with the guy at the interview saying that he never did send them the pizzas a few months ago that he said he would after they helped him with an issue. I now do remember him telling them that as we were leaving the shop back in April but I figured it's just one of those things you say and don't do. So now it doesn't seem so odd.

Yeah, that changes it almost entirely.

• Like 1