So does anyone else find this frustrating? A serious business communication is going on. Someone sends me an email about something, I respond and then nothing... Every communication I have with this one lady asks me to acknowledge her email and I do every time, but when I send her a response or some other information she does not acknowledge mine. I know I should ask, but it seems to me it's a lost art of communication and a courtesy to let someone know you received something important.

This happened almost as a ritual with clients when I was selling insurance. Just Tuesday a woman emailed me asking what I need for a workers comp quote. I replied as soon as I saw the email, then nothing. I understand she has other things to do than email me and I'll probably hear from her eventually (or if not I'll follow up) but I don't even know if the got the response. She almost certainly did, but just a 15 second note saying "acknowledged" would let me know.

It just seems to me it's a disturbing new trend to just ignore people unless they need something from them. In personal messages, that's one thing but in business it's another. It seems professionalism is kinds going out the window.

Just venting...

Ken

So does anyone else find this frustrating? A serious business communication is going on. Someone sends me an email about something, I respond and then nothing... Every communication I have with this one lady asks me to acknowledge her email and I do every time, but when I send her a response or some other information she does not acknowledge mine. I know I should ask, but it seems to me it's a lost art of communication and a courtesy to let someone know you received something important.

This happened almost as a ritual with clients when I was selling insurance. Just Tuesday a woman emailed me asking what I need for a workers comp quote. I replied as soon as I saw the email, then nothing. I understand she has other things to do than email me and I'll probably hear from her eventually (or if not I'll follow up) but I don't even know if the got the response. She almost certainly did, but just a 15 second note saying "acknowledged" would let me know.

It just seems to me it's a disturbing new trend to just ignore people unless they need something from them. In personal messages, that's one thing but in business it's another. It seems professionalism is kinds going out the window.

Just venting...

Ken

Are these separate emails that you are just acknowledging receipt or replying to a read receipt?

Why not send emails with read receipts (if you are using Outlook or similar) and that way you know when opened. Outside of that, with the lady who wants you to email back, just stop.

And in regards to the sales pitch, well that is the downside of sales, you will cast a lot of nets before you get a nibble. Why sales isn't for everyone, got to have a thick skin on it. :)

I get annoyed with companies that have read receipts on all emails, defense contractors tend to. It is annoying on every email you have the darn thing pop up!

• Author

No, these are actually requests to respond within the emails. The receipt requests are annoying, agreed, but that's a different subject.

Of course there are the few percent of people who are responsive but so many who just drop off the face of the Earth.

While I agree and know (believe me I know) about sales, it's still lame. If you talk to someone and have a dialogue going, you don't just ignore them for a week or two. This one guy I kept on because I knew his renewal was coming up wouldn't respond for over a week at a time. I met him in April. His insurance renewed the first of this month. He lagged and lagged but kept talking to me, then finally last week said he hadn't heard from his current company so it's just too close to the wire but he really wants to go with me...That's nice.

Sorry, water under the bridge. Thankfully I can deal with a whole new group of assh*les from now on.

I'm just irritated. I think people could be more communicative or if they can't should just drop off the face of the Earth right away. Just don't F with me.

Edited by kenmore

It isn't you personally, I think you should keep that in mind. The internet allows the ability to move on to many things impersonally.

Unless you must, I would just stop responding to the request. Maybe they will reach out to sooner. :p

• Like 1