Relocated to new job, HATE it, leave?

I was at a company that had become stale and old for me after a couple years and there were some internal issues (unrelated to me) driving the company into the ground. I loved my work and wanted to continue with it, so I obtained a job offer from a prestigious company in another city and they relocated me.

On the second day I knew the job was the wrong fit. Although it appeared that my duties and responsibilities would be similar, the industry is different in the new city, my boss is mean, and the skills I had obtained at my old place are not transferrable. Basically, what I thought would be a similar job has turned out to be VERY different.

I decided to give at least 90 days to see if some of this was "growing pains" from relocating away from friends and family. But now that it's been time, I realize I am very happy in the new city -- but am very unhappy (in fact -- miserable) in this job. Truthfully, I get a pit in my stomach everytime I think about it.

I'm doing a good job for them (they just gave me a raise after only a few months), but the thought of having to endure another month or even a year at this place makes me ill. It's a sweatshop and the turnover is high. 90% of the duties are wrong for me, while a small 10% I can tolerate. If I believed that ratio would flip at some point, I would stick around, but it's obvious that it won't now that I've been here long enough to see how things work.

The questions -- Do I quietly try to find another job (which may be risky since everyone in town knows this company and my boss)? Approach my boss and express my concerns? Quit without another job and spend some time looking?

What has been others' experiences with leaving a job shortly after coming on board and realizing it's the wrong fit?

If your boss is a jerk approaching him might not get you the results you'd hoped for. Can you try to find another job that would relocate you somewhere else?

Thanks, spock. The only reason I was thinking of approaching my boss is out of a sense of professional courtesy (because the boss recruited me for this position, paid for my relocation, etc.) Since the company made such an investment, I thought maybe it would be appropriate to approach them so I don't cut when they have TONS of work to do (it is an extremely busy job with lots of BIG projects coming due over the next few months). But you're right, I have VERY mixed feelings about approaching the boss based on my own sense of self-preservation.

But I've been working on your idea and have already interviewed in another state. I am concerned that I've only been at my current position for a few months. Have you (or anyone else) ever run into difficulties trying to find a new position after only being at a job for a few months? I've always stuck around for at least 2 years at each job.

You might want to review the terms of your relocation also, will you have to pay it back if you move before a certain amount of time is up?

I would have to pay it back -- but I'm less concerned about that. Sanity is more important than money, but obviously I don't want to dig a financial hole either.

Has anyone left a job quickly?

Originally posted by Relocated

continue with it, so I obtained a job offer from a prestigious company in another city and they relocated me.

It's a sweatshop and the turnover is high. The questions -- Do I quietly try to find another job (which may be risky since everyone in town knows this company and my boss)? Approach my boss and express my concerns? Quit without another job and spend some time looking?

how can a company be prestigious and a sweatshop at the same time? I doubt it is a fortune 500 company.

ever thought about trying to quietyly find antoher job in some other city??? in additon i would recommend staying atleast a year otherwise it will hurt you and don't quit w/o another job. this is the kiss of death esp now with bad economy.

Originally posted by alphamale

how can a company be prestigious and a sweatshop at the same time? I doubt it is a fortune 500 company.

I'm sure it was a figure of speech. I worked at a software company years ago that had that kind of environment. Software engineers holed up in tiny offices with no windows who made $100,000+/year (i know, I did the books).

Just don't put this job on your resume. If you leave a position after a few months you can't really use the references anyway. Find a better fit. Sanity IS more important. I had a nervous breakdown at the software company because it was just a ****ty work environment and then I had personal problems (marriage ended) and the added stress and unsupportive work environment made me freak out.

Originally posted by blind_otter

I'm sure it was a figure of speech. I worked at a software company years ago that had that kind of environment. Software engineers holed up in tiny offices with no windows who made $100,000+/year (i know, I did the books).

I know people who are holed up in tiny cubicle (not offices) with no windows who make $30K.

Thanks everybody, I appreciate your help. I know a lot, but certainly not all, so-called "prestigious" companies have awful work environments because I tried one right after I got out of school years ago and swore I would never do it again (I mistakenly did it again, but didn't know better). These companies are able to survive by continuing to attract talented professionals who want a prestigious name on their resume because this will make them marketable for a "better" job in a few years. I took this job to round out my own experience and explore this city a little, but since I already had good experience, I don't need to put myself through this.

So no one is willing to own up to quitting a new job after a few months? I guess I was looking for some inspiration because leaving a job quickly goes against most of my instincts, despite how sick my current job makes me. Again, the best justification I can make for any prospective employer is that it is better to recognize a bad fit quickly rather than stick around and be unproductive. But if anyone has any stories of hope, feel free to share them.

I relocated and sorry I love my job here in Illinois! The job was never the mistake if you catch my drift!

Do I regret relocating, NO!

I have taken a position I knew was so wrong for me I was in my 90 day grace peroid and I sincerely let them know that I would not be coming back! I did a great job of it and did well with very little education on the place! I am a nurse btw! They pursuded me in a aggravting way to stay but in my heart I knew I was not a Nursing home nurse!~

That's great news, Deb. I knew someone out there had a good experience. If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about telling the old company (that you stayed at for 90 days) that it wasn't a good fit? Did you line up another job before you told them? Any suggestions would be great...

By all means if you can get another position, do so!

Your already miserable why add to it by job hunting!

How I went about it, I wrote a polite note and I called that very next day to let them know I would not be continuing my employment at their establishment. I told them honestly that I was not what they needed as far as a nurse for the weekends and that my continuing would only cause unhappiness on my part and my heart would never be in it.

You could call and speak to the person responsible for the human resources department and frankly tell them, even in view they gave you a great opportunity and your performance is good (obviously); You feel like your talents will be better served elsewhere! Staying would only create unpleasantness on your part, and affect your performance!!! And no you don't have to elaborate! Just keep it simple and truthful from your performance perspective.

Ok, so you did NOT have another when you left?

I have been job hunting, but it's been daunting in a new city with few professional contacts, so it might take a while. I've heard that you greatly decrease your marketability by being unemployed, so I haven't decided to quit without lining up another position yet.

curiousnycgirl

I was given a relocation package (actually to move back to my home town) by a company and accepted it even though I had misgivings about the boss. I should I have listened to that little voice in the back of my head - he was worse than I could have expected. I am a strong employee at a senior level and this guy was treating me like dirt! It got to the point that I was in tears every morning at the very thought of having to go in to the office.

I actually went to personnel - because indeed he was harrassing me (which I knew, having been a manager for several years prior to that). I am very glad I did meet with them - firstly this guy had a history, so at least I knew it wasn't me, secondly that started a record of what was going on.

After less than 3 months we all agreed it was not a good fit. I left that Firm, although to buy my silence they kept me on the payroll for another 3 months! It took me a while but I did find another job and when asked why I had left, I simply say it was a bad fit. I have been with that company for 6 years (my longest at any company yet!).

I have had other job offers, so the short stay has been seen during other interview processes, and the "poor fit" response has always been accepted in fact well received.

I suggest you cover your financial position by either interviewing within your new city with a company that will have the means to buy you out of your obligation to repay your relo, or speak with HR about what is going on. If there has been high turnover - then this will not be a surprise to them. They may even surprise you by finding something better suited for you within your new firm.

Best of luck to you!!!

BTW - my entire resume is in Fortune 100 companies (all Wall Street firms) - including the unpleasant experience described above. You do not have to be making a pittance, sitting in a tenement to be in a sweat shop - it is all about your boss and colleagues and whether or not the environment promotes respect!

Originally posted by Relocated

So no one is willing to own up to quitting a new job after a few months? I guess I was looking for some inspiration because leaving a job quickly goes against most of my instincts, despite how sick my current job makes me. Again, the best justification I can make for any prospective employer is that it is better to recognize a bad fit quickly rather than stick around and be unproductive. But if anyone has any stories of hope, feel free to share them.

Not sure if this will help or hurt but I can certainly commiserate. I moved myself from Washington State to Atlanta Ga just under two years ago. Within six weeks I had a job in my industry but it was doing work I'd never done before. The man that interviewed me owned the company--- 3 intertwined companies in the same building, to be exact.

It was hell. on. earth. Literally the center of the seventh circle of the pit of hell. The ONLY reason I did not leave on day two was because I had no money and no guarantee of a job waiting for me. It took a year for me to get out of that position, and it was an awful year. I wish I would have left when I wanted to.. it would have saved a lot of heartache.

There aren't going to be any guarantees about what will happen, save the fact that you'll slowly go out of your mind if you stay. Is there any possibility that your boss would be willing to move around your duties? I know he relocated you, but you were under the impression that your skills would transfer and they don't! 90% of your job is tasks that you have no history performing. Seems sort of bait-and-switchy to me.

My first advice is to always approach management and let them know you're unhappy. If they arent willing to resolve the issue then you have no recourse but to move on, but at least you know you tried.

Hope that helps!

...although I know how much pain it caused you to have them!!!

Curious -- I completely understand the "voice in the back of the head" issue -- it was screaming when I got the job offer and I didn't accept it on the spot. In fact, it took almost two weeks, and finally a "soft sell" from my new boss, to convince me to take the job. I had misgivings, too -- and they all came true!!! I'll never silence that voice again based solely on the opportunity for "career advancement."

Unfortunately, there is no harrasment here (or I guess I should say, *fortunately*). I know that others in my department are unhappy working for my boss and are looking for new jobs, but I really don't think that is the crux of the problem with the organization. I wish I could get some silence money, though!!!!!

Curvvy -- I understand the "bait and switch" mentality, although it doesn't really apply. Like you, the duties and responsiblities seemed to be very similar to my old position, but the way things are done in this town are completely alien. Every basic task is a chore and since the workload is immense I'm stuck working late into the evening, every evening.

I like your advice about approaching management, but the real problem is that I don't see any "resolution" of the problem. It's not as if I can compel the industry to change in the new city and it's not as if I can point to particular behaviors by my boss that -- if changed -- would result in me feeling good about the position. I've been here long enough to know what they need, and it's not me!

So if I go to my boss, it's basically to say "i'm leaving, but I'll help you until you find someone (or I find a new job!)." I see that as being very risky, although it may be professionally courteous.

With that said, I've been considering taking on some contracting work just to find a way to get out of the job. I'm not going to slowly lose my mind -- it's lost.

curiousnycgirl

Harrassment takes many forms - not just the obvious. What did you mean when you said the boss is mean? What is he/she doing? I was not experiencing the "standard" forms of harrassment (if there are any such things) but the boss was mean (to use your word) and it created a hostile work environment.

If you give more details - perhaps that could help us tell you how to speak with HR. No guarantees, but worth a shot.

My heart is going out to you!

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of harassment, I did not necessarily find what SHE was doing to be verbally abusive, although some of my coworkers disagreed. Our administrative assistant went to HR already to lodge a complaint. I'm brand new on the job and can't actually think of a specific incident that would be worth bringing up that kind of complaint, but my tolerance level might be different. I realize that tolerance is irrelevant, but I don't think that her attitude is the real problem.

Regardless, her attitude has calmed a LOT over the last couple weeks. The real problem, again, is the mismatch of duties. It's just the wrong fit. I'm sure we've all had them. Now -- how to move on without burning a bridge in the process?

I've concluded that I need to resign from my current position. I thought a lot about it over the Holiday break, decided to wait at least a week back at the job, and after another grueling week, I'm ready.

I don't have another job just yet, but do have a second interview this week. The problem is that the second interview is in another city and if I take the job I'll have to relocate AGAIN. I'm sure most people would tell me to wait until I get the job offer from this other company (if possible), but there may be another position at my current employer that could be a better fit.

Should I begin discussions about pursuing that opportunity at my company? I'm concerned that if I don't start those discussions now that I'll get the job offer and then have only one choice -- resign and move again. It could be weeks (or just a few days) before the other company makes a decision. In the meantime, I could be working on a plan to stay in my current city and not go through the hassle of moving.

Any suggestions?

curiousnycgirl

If you are truly ready to resign, without another opportunity then I think its time for you to discuss all this with your manager. You need to explain to her that this opportunity is not quite what you expected, that your skills do not translate as easily as you thought they would, etc. You know all the right things to say, you've said them here. Absent speaking with her - I doubt it would be possible for you to look at other opportunities within the company. Meanwhile continue pursuing the new opportunity and see where things lead.

My heart goes out to you - let us know what happens!

Yes, you're definitely correct. I know I can't pursue the other opportunity without speaking to my manager, and I'll do so this week. I'm considering doing it Friday b/c Wed I have the interview and want to be clear headed for it. Plus, we have some critical meetings this week and it would seem wrong to pull her aside during all this heavy stress and add more to it.

So far as resigning without another opportunity, I do have some contract opportunities in town, although it may take a couple of weeks to get them. I'm definitely going to get some more confirmation before I take the plunge.

curiousnycgirl

Sounds like you knew all the answers all along, glad I was here to simply bounce ideas off of. Best of luck to you!