Help me out. Do I ask for my gift or not?

Ok guys here is the thing....Yesterday was our Christmas party and one of the attorneys gave all of us envelopes (we got them randomly) and they all had $50 bucks in there but mine. Should I ask him today or should I leave it alone? I mean $50 dollars can buy a lot!!!! I am too shy to ask but I do feel bad. What do I do?

I would ask him about it, why would he put $50 in every envelope except one? Its probably a mistake. I'm also very shy but if everyone else got it & I didn't, I would let him know. He's not going to yell at you or fire you, he'll probably laugh it off & apoligize,

• Author
Originally posted by BabyBluAngel

I would ask him about it, why would he put $50 in every envelope except one? Its probably a mistake. I'm also very shy but if everyone else got it & I didn't, I would let him know. He's not going to yell at you or fire you, he'll probably laugh it off & apoligize,

but how do I ask him? I cannot say, "Where is my money" :p

Yes I doubt he did it on purpose...explain to him what happened....don't be too shy he needs to know.... :p

Just explain that you were a little suprised when you opened up your empty envelope and that you feel silly asking but was it meant to be empty or...?

• Author

Also, I don't know if this matters, but he is not the Attorney that I work for so it's not that easy. I don't know what to say.

Word it as

'I'm uncomfortable bringing this up, but I feel I should. I heard that everyone in the office received money in their envelope and I didn't have any money in mine. I was wondering - are you unhappy with my job performance?"

Is there anyway to ask your boss? I'm sure he can give you some insight on how to approach him. I would be very nervous too, but $50 isn't pocket change. you can go out & buy yourself something nice w/ it.

• Author
Originally posted by Debster

Word it as

'I'm uncomfortable bringing this up, but I feel I should. I heard that everyone in the office received money in their envelope and I didn't have any money in mine. I was wondering - are you unhappy with my job performance?"

But O dpn't work with him so he's not supposed to give me anything.

• Author
Originally posted by BabyBluAngel

Is there anyway to ask your boss? I'm sure he can give you some insight on how to approach him. I would be very nervous too, but $50 isn't pocket change. you can go out & buy yourself something nice w/ it.

My boss is on vacation.

You don't think he is going to think I am greedy?

I guess I was typing my response when you wrote that you don't work with this attorney. If you don't work with him/her, you should leave it alone. After all, maybe the people who did receive the money do work with him in some degree - or maybe not everyone got the money.

• Author
Originally posted by Stone

Personally I don't think you should ask I'd let it go :o

Why???? Will it look bad?

I agree, if you know everyone else received the money then I don't think it would hurt to mention that you're envelope was empty, I would NOT bring up money, just mention that you were suprised that your envelope was empty, or something to that degree..

• Author
Originally posted by Debster

I guess I was typing my response when you wrote that you don't work with this attorney. If you don't work with him/her, you should leave it alone. After all, maybe the people who did receive the money do work with him in some degree - or maybe not everyone got the money.

He does not have anyone who works with him, we all help him out though because he is an older man. Everyone else got money. We all got an envelope randomly and I happen to get one without money.

• Author
Originally posted by Barby

I agree, if you know everyone else received the money then I don't think it would hurt to mention that you're envelope was empty, I would NOT bring up money, just mention that you were suprised that your envelope was empty, or something to that degree..

How should I mention it?

Go up to the person who handed out the envelopes....say something like

"I am soooooo embarassed to even bring this up, I don't want to seem greedy or rude but when I received my envelope, I couldn't help but notice that it was empty"

Or something along those lines

Well Naive.. you could thank him for the lovely envelope.. LOL go on and on about how you always wanted an envelope..... follow up with...... it's such an incredible envelope, I just wouldn't have thought about giving one as a gift :confused:

:lmao: SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

I'm sorry girly... feeling a little slow and silly today... I hope it gets straightend out and DON'T do any of what I previously mentioned :laugh:

Everyone else got money. We all got an envelope randomly and I happen to get one without money

See it was probably just a mistake. He's probably a nice enough man, & it won't make you look bad.

Originally posted by naive_2001

Why???? Will it look bad?

Well you wern't expecting a gift, and he's not your boss, I'm sure it was an accident but they happen. X-Mas is only 2 days away, you wern't counting on it, and even though it's alot to you it's still chump change to them, he might view it differently. If you had a friendly relationship with him then I'd say ' what you don't love me anymore to give me a blank envelope?' but do you have that type of relationship with him?

Maby after X MAs I'd slightly mention it but Personally I'd let it go. Saying that he probably would give you the money. How bad do you need it?

• Author
Originally posted by Barby

Go up to the person who handed out the envelopes....say something like

"I am soooooo embarassed to even bring this up, I don't want to seem greedy or rude but when I received my envelope, I couldn't help but notice that it was empty"

Or something along those lines

I LOVE YOU BARBY!!!!!! That was PERFECTO!!!!!!!! Gracias amiga :D

Originally posted by Merin

Well Naive.. you could thank him for the lovely envelope.. LOL go on and on about how you always wanted an envelope..... follow up with...... it's such an incredible envelope, I just wouldn't have thought about giving one as a gift :confused:

:lmao: SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

I'm sorry girly... feeling a little slow and silly today... I hope it gets straightend out and DON'T do any of what I previously mentioned :laugh:

Merin, Merin, Merin you have made me crack up!!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I sure need this to get the guts to do it. I would not do it if I did not need the money plus I felt bad cause the rest of them were making fun of me.

Hey amiga mia....I say DO IT since they all saw you didn't get anything in your's...let the person know..something similar like I said above and add the fact that you couldn't help but crack up since everyone was laughing at ya!

Let us know how it turns out! :p

My old boss would do that to people - except just forget to give them the envelope. So I would remind him. If I were you I'd go to his assistant and mention it to her or him, maybe they can help you. Or maybe someone in HR, if applicable. Save you an awkward sitution, hopefully.

Have someone else ask who is comfortable with him. They can make it look like they are looking out for you. You can just sit there and not worry about looking greedy. If a friend of mine got an empty envelope, I wouldn't expect them to ask. I'd go do it, if I felt comfortable with the boss.

i am confused.....he didnt hand out envelopes to everyone...but the ones he did , did they have your names on them??? and this doesnt matter too much as i dont expect him to hand out envelopes with nothing in them....

NO ONE DOES THAT!

So he either

a. made a mistake

or

b. knew yours didnt have anything in it and expects you to say something...i.e. he likes you, or he wants to see what you are made of.....

so this is my guesses..

so either way you have to go to him directly, tell him what happened and let him decide what is to be done...

i am sure that if it is letter a, or the second part of letter b above, he will give you the fifty...

if it is the first part of letter b above, he will probably get you a drink and put on some soothing sinatra and sit you down in a stuffy old english leather chair and say "lets talk about this"............at which point you have to decide if the little blue pills on his desk are for his "heartburn" or for something else

good luck

d