Christmas gifts at work....

I have had so much going on in my life. I lost a baby and was attacked by my exboyfriend.

Everyone at work has exchanged gifts and given me a few presents. I haven't been Christmas shopping. I don't know what to do. I feel awful for not giving present in return. I am very poor right now. I am trying to find a lawyer regarding my ex's home invsaion charge, and the restraining order. I just don't know - should I give people cards? What should I do?

Go to the dollar store, and buy stockings and stuff them with candy. its cheap and cute everyone misses a stocking.

But you should deff give Thank You cards after the holidays

Originally posted by blind_otter

I have had so much going on in my life. I lost a baby and was attacked by my exboyfriend.

Everyone at work has exchanged gifts and given me a few presents. I haven't been Christmas shopping. I don't know what to do. I feel awful for not giving present in return. I am very poor right now. I am trying to find a lawyer regarding my ex's home invsaion charge, and the restraining order. I just don't know - should I give people cards? What should I do?

Make a small donation to a worthy charity in your area, say $25 or so. Then buy cards for your co-workers and in each card say you're having a rough year but have made a donation on their behalf to such and such charity.

• Author

I like that idea a lot, alphamale.

Thanks!!!!!!! :bunny::bunny::bunny:

On edit - I think I'll donate to the domestic violence shelter here in my area.

I say bake some stuff. Might cost you $10 and just tell them it is a group gift as you are cash poor right now. When it comes to gifts for co-workers I feel it is the thought that counts. AND having a brownie or cookie to eat at work is a nice treat!

I'm sure people around you are aware of what has been going on so no one will think less of you. you could give a card to those you are closest to.

Good luck inthe future. I hope things get better for you!

K

I think the holidays are the only time you can "legitimately" partake of backed goods that float around the office! and it's such a simple, but personal, gift ...

re: the donation to favorite cause

when a friend turned 40 in October he asked that in lieu of gifts, guests at his party donate to the Houston AIDS food pantry. They collected about $700 in desperately needed funds that night .... I think it's a lovely way to remember someone's birthday or anniversary or even Christmas, as alpha suggests.

HokeyReligions

My close friends and family know to donate to the animal shelter as my gift. That's a good idea. Also the dollar store or the baked goods.

I brought little gifts in for everyone -- clear acrylic picture frames with a magnet on the back, a metal ornament, and a candy cane on top. Plus I made a big batch of fudge for everyone to share. Didn't cost me much.

I kinda felt bad today though, one man brought in a gift for me today and I think he only did it because he felt guilty that I gave something! I would hate to think I made someone else feel obligated! :(

If your co-workers know that your money is tight and that you've had a rough year they probably don't expect anything and don't care really if you give them anything or not. They probably don't want you to feel obligated either.

Maybe you can collect a few Christmas jokes and, if it's allowed at your office email, send them to everyone so they have a holiday chuckle. Quankanne posted one of my favorite stories Christmas with Louise and I laugh every time I read that. I sent that and some others to people at work for whom I did not give a gift. Maybe that would work for you?

this morning, one of the priests who works in our office came round with a HUGE paper sack filled with candy canes. So we'd stay sweet, he said, smiling.

really, it's not what you give, but that you remembered them even in the smallest way.

personally, I think this is the perfect time of year to transform all those blackened, loose bananas my husband has thrown in the freezer these past few months into a mongo batch of banana bread. co-workers are pleased with the goodies and I don't have bananas dropping out everytime I open the freezer door! :eek:

• Author

Admittedly, I look forward to the chocolate chip banana bread that a friend of my family gives away in colored cellophane every holiday season. I am not a baker, so it's actually nice to get baked goods becuase I know I sure as hell would never make the effort...