Leaving without giving a notice.

How do you guys feel about leaving a job and not giving any kid of notice? Just walking in a submitting an immediate resignation.

Now factor in the your immediate supervisor reminds on an almost daily basis that you disappoint him, he thinks your stupid and you are constantly '****ing up' and costing the company money. He never gave you a promised raise over 6 months ago. He berrates you infront of all your co-workers. Not ONCE has ever even hinted at the fact that you do anything to his satisfaction and you are in attendence every day.

Besides the fact that you would wonder every day why they are not just firing you if you are such a complete loser, would you feel bad about just quitting ESPECIALLY if you will NEVER need/use this company as a reference.

Thanks a bunch!!

K

P.S. If you have stories about resigning, I would love to hear them!

It's customary to give a two week notification when you resign from a position. Generally, I adhere to this policy because I am usually leaving on good terms and would like to keep the departure positive in the advent that I would need this as a future reference. However, if I were leaving under poor terms regardless, I would not concern myself with providing a two week notification. I always keep in mind that any employer can fire me on the spot with no notification.

• Author
Originally posted by Pocky

I always keep in mind that any employer can fire me on the spot with no notification.

Exactly what I keep trying to remind myself. I refuse to quit without another job to go to but it is really getting bad. I stand up for myself when I can but the person doing this is the owner of the company. It's a very small company and he takes pride is reminding his empoyees that they are 'beneath' him.

I cannot reason with him or discuss my concerns. He is the boss so he is 'right'. Nothing I can do. Even if I have a perfect explanation for something and PROVE that it is not my fault, he still faults me AND tells the other employees how I '****ed up'.

Why is he not firing me? Honestly? Is he just getting some kind of enjoyment out of this?

K

Check the laws in your state. If you are in a "Right To Work" state, it works both ways. In other words, an employer can fire you without any kind of prior notice, but you can also terminate your employment without notice - and the employer can't say or do anything about it as far as legal action goes.

• Author

There is absolutely nothing here that states that either employer or employee has to give any notice. I am not under any kind of contract so there would not be any legal issues if I just walked out. Honestly, I think that They would make my life a living hell for whatever notice I gave them. Not worth finding out.

Seriously This place has been non-stop with the snide remarks, petty torments, etc. when I submit a request for a vacation day, he doesn't sing it unitl approx. 3 days before the day I want off. Even if I request a month previous. Once I got yelled at for not washing the bathroom floor. First off, that's not my job, second I told them that I refused to clean up THEIR piss off the floor.

I just can't even begin to describe everything I have been put through here. To hell and back. Sometimes when Ithought I couldn;t feel any lower, they would step on me. I understand that I should not 'reduce myself to their level' and should do the courteous thing like give a notice but I just can't do it. I guess I just wanted to hear your ideas and experiences about it.

Thanks!

K

A few ideas:

1) It's clearly legal for you to quit suddenly, and most people can understand why you would want to do it.

2) A sudden departure, if known by a future employer, would definitely be a negative. However bad the workplace, your leaving it without the customary notice would be seen very poorly.

3) Most workplaces, even if they fire you suddenly one day, will give you 2 weeks pay as they walk you out. If you have good reason to believe that your company WOULDN'T, then I agree that you should claim the same privilege (to leave at any given moment).

4) Some really creepy companies will fire you immediately when you give your 2 weeks notice. That's right - without 2 weeks pay. Just "Get out." If they do this, they MUST hand you a check with all that is due to you. (If you leave, I believe that in California they have 3 working days to pay you off.)

So...all in all, it depends on your line of work and the local grapevine. But I still recommend having a new job before you leave the current one. I understand the job is horrible, but active job hunting will give you hope that will help you feel better. You can start slacking mildly on the current job, and maybe, with luck, they will fire you! That way you get unemployment insurance - which you don't get for quitting.

The only concern would be your next job, I suppose. It can look really bad if you kept yourself in a bad situation for a long time and don't have a good reference to show for it. If you've been working there for a long time, what is your story to your next employer going to be - explaining why they should not contact your most recent employer? But oh well, the longer you sit there in a job that's going to only hurt your future, the worse off you're going to be. So if you're damned if you do, damned if you don't, walk out the front door asap.

Keep in mind though, it hurts you more to leave without giving notice if you need that paycheck. You might be better off sticking around.. then you can tell your next employer not to contact your company at first as you are still employed and are applying in secret. Hopefully you've already been looking and have a few options for your next job.

Originally posted by SoleMate

4) Some really creepy companies will fire you immediately when you give your 2 weeks notice. That's right - without 2 weeks pay. Just "Get out." If they do this, they MUST hand you a check with all that is due to you. (If you leave, I believe that in California they have 3 working days to pay you off.)

Solemate:

The above is usually done if an employee is working with sensitive information AND has caused trouble in the past. This would give the employee time to screw with something (i.e. changing the programming on a system so it malfunctions or mess up financial data, whatever).

Sometimes even if you've been a great, honest employee many big companies will make you leave the day you give notice cause you are working with sensitive stuff.

• Author

I will not leave this job without another one lined up. If a future company askes. I will tell them I gave a 2 week notice. I will also tell them that I do not want to use this place as a reference as they were 'disgruntled by my leaving' in a ddition to the fact that there is no possiblity of advancement here.

I am not going to badmouth my currently employer to another employer.

I sincerely believe that if I gave a notice they would immediately walk me out or keep me for a few days and make my life HELL.

I do not see any benefits to staying here a minute longer than I need to. I thin they continue to treat me this way becasue they tink they have me over a barrel and that I 'need' them and tha tis not the case. Yes, I needed the paycheck but if I get another one, there is no reason for me to stay here. They don't event alk to me (unless to complain) as it is. Never a hi or good morning. Never a thank you. Not even after I brought him to have a tooth pulled while his wife was at work or when I dog sat for a week. his kids said thanks but not him

Giving them any notice is granting them a courtesy that they would not even consider for me. The last person that was here was here for 5 years. They let her go on a Friday afternoon. Boom, fired. They told me that she "complained all the time and raised their health insurance rates" She was 56 years old and had just discovered she had cancer.

As you can see, my employers are really great people.

K

Karen, I have to agree with your analysis of the situation. Since your company has shown a history of bad faith dealings, you owe them no special courtesy. And refraining from badmouthing is perfect. You can hint very vaguely at the company's dysfunction, but do it in a professional way.

I'd probably play it conservatively and just give him the two weeks notice. You don't have to give a s***, you just have to show up for work on time, not leave early and do your minimum. Whatever happens, happens, but you can at least say to your next employer that you got out of the situation honorably. Remember that a hiring supervisor is always going to assume that however you treated previous employers is a good predictor of how you'll treat them.

• Author

If I don't plan on using them as a reference at all why would I not just tell my future employer that I did give a 2 week notice? I've already listed on my applications that I could begin work on 1/6/05 so as far as they know, I have already given my notice.

I'm not into lying but I don't see any other option here. It would be the most extreme hell ever if I stayed for a 2 week notice OR they would tell me to leave then and there and I would not get paid for 2 weeks. I'd rather THEM be in a tough spot then me. They've shat on me for all thise time, why would I give them another opportunity to do it?

As extreme as it sounds this place is really like "Kill or be killed" and I do not want to die yet.

K

DON'T lie. You'll either get caught, or worry about it.

If you absolutely must leave, AND a future employer asks whether you gave the 2 week notice, I think it's OK to say, "In almost every case, I would give 2 weeks' notice. But in this case, the company policy appeared to be instant firing for anyone who gave notice. So I just cleaned up my desk and told my boss on Friday afternoon that I wouldn't be coming back in. This time, I'm definitely looking for an employer who shares my values about treating people fairly. Here's what I feel that I owe to an employer....<insert details of how reliable and responsible you are>." You don't want to sound negative, but I think it's appropriate to hint or imply that your former bosses were unethical ogres. You sounds upbeat and looking ahead.

I doubt if an employer will even ask about the notice. But please don't lie. That puts a little dent in your heavenly crown.

I own a small business and here is my take on the situation. You are both disgruntled. They probably want to fire you but if they do, you will collect unemployment and that will hurt their MOD rating and their UI rates will increase--can be a big cost depending on the salary base. If you quit, there is no unemployment.

Not giving notice is just wrong. You need to go out honorably and if they give your the heave ho after your resignation--so be it. If not, just show up, do your work and tough it out for two weeks.

Do not lie. All applications have a disclaimer about false statements. I know many folks who exaggerated their accomplishments on an application only to be fired down the line because they were not true.

A future employer will want to know about your job record--they will look to the most recent employer--and even if you do not use them as a reference, they may call them--another clause in most applioations. They want to know about gaps and why you were not working during a particular period.

I suggest that you give the notice (they will propbably let you go at that point because they feel you are such a f*&k up) and be civil and political with your new employer. Why did you leave,? The company culture was vastly different than mine and I truly felt that there was not enough opportuniteis for advancement--hence my application at your firm.

Thats my two cents! As much as it would feel good to say screw you I am outta here--I think it will bite you in the ass at some point

corythosaurus

Because your boss may conduct him or herself unprofessionally, does not mean that you should.

A lot of times if there is this much annimosity between two parties, bosses sometimes agree to let you go immediately when you turn in your two-week notice.

• Author

I understand the not lying part but what I don't understand is how many of you can instruct me to give a notice when I am telling you that they have a total and utter disrespect for me and remind me of it everyday. At what point do you forgo the "I will remain professional" and start looking at all the ways that you have been crapped on and say "I will at least walk out of here with some self respect".

Maybe I have not been clear on how bad it is here..

1) I have been told I am stupid and a disappointment (7 months ago) to avoid giving me a planned raise.

2) I am constantly being spoken to with a cold, harsh, order tone and any questions I have are responed to with the look of "Can you really be that stupid"

3) I am being blamed continually for thinngs that have nothing to do with me and that I would have no control over

4) When I say 'good morning' I don't even get a look never mind a response

5) When they leave the office they do not tell me where they are going or when they will be back but yell at me for not conveying the correct information to those who call looking for them

6) The sales guy has come to the conclusion that he can order me and blame me as he has watched the boss do it.

7) Boss will bad mouth me to customers. (I've HEARD this happen)

8) Boss will hold my vacation requests until the day before without giving me an okay.

9) There has been a poster of a woman in a thong with a wet t-shirt next to my desk that has been there for over a year. Honestly, I don't care that much but the boss' wife asked him about it and told him that he could be in trouble (sexual harrassment) if the wrong person noticed it and he said "Anyone who doesn't like it can go **** in their hat."

There are a million other things that I would be more than happy to post if you want to hear about it. Basically, I am a victim of office bullying. Look it up on the net... It is happening here.

I have to also add that this company doesn not pay unemloyment fees for firing people as it is such a small office. Unemployment fees for a company are based on # of employees and we have less than 6 so they do not pay.

So now what is the reason for not firing me? They KNOW that I do a good job, they just don't want me to know that they know. It's easier to make me think that I am not worthy of them and I better just keep my mouth shut.

K

Well, the DON'T LIE rule is an absolute. And in 99% of the cases, you SHOULD give notice. But I think you may be in the 1% that does not really have a moral obligation to give notice. But do think of it this way...if you decide to give notice when you leave, you're doing it for yourself. Because that is the way YOU choose to act, even when others are less than good.

I think all of us giving advice should make sure we understand Karen's full situation. If her company really is the pits, they may very well fire her on the spot when she gives notice. I think it's only right for her to take that into account when makking her plans.

I myself would never consider omitting the 2 week notice, but then, as bad as some of my employers have been, I never had any realistic fear they would fire me on the spot for turning in my notice. I believe the rules HAVE to be different when the employer has a different standard.

• Author

Thank you, Solemate.

It's not that I want everyone to say "Just walk out!!" It's just that have been put through an emotional ringer here. Half the stuff that has been said and done here, I would not even believe if someone told me. Suffice to say that there have been instances here that I would have gone and sold an internal organ to be able to just walk right then and there. I am not exaggerating at all. I have sat at my desk in tears, drove home in tears and spent the night in tears.

Truthfully, I would love to have very tell me that I am doing the best thing but I know that's not going to happen.

Seriously, at what point to you decide that the fear, humiliation and disrespect have been too much to want to give them the courtesy of a notice. I am a great worker, a good person, kind and considerate. The customers love me, I am always on time and stay late when needed. I'm not saying they should thank their lucky stars to have me BUT they need to realize that I do not HAVE to be here and I don't HAVE TO give them respect if they do not give it to me. Just becasue you are a boss, does not give the right the see how badly you can break your employees' spirit.

K

• Author

I'm trying not to cut off my nose to spite my face. It's better to stick with the devil you know than run off with teh devil you don't know!

I have some leads on some GREAT opportunies!!

K

Fantastic!!!! Look forward, and even if you have to stay on for a few more weeks so there is no break in income, you will have an easier time because you can smell the fresh air outside the prison walls. :)

• Author
Originally posted by SoleMate

Fantastic!!!! Look forward, and even if you have to stay on for a few more weeks so there is no break in income, you will have an easier time because you can smell the fresh air outside the prison walls. :)

Exactly!

The hard part is that I make a decent wage now so it's not liek I can run out and get anything else AND I would really like to be able to get into working on/with something that I love! It's just getting through each day here, trying not to let it take another little piece of me each day...

Thank you for all your support and advice. I really do appreciate it. Even the stuff that I didn't WANT to hear!

K