working with my spouse

Any suggestions BESIDES starting a business where my husband and I could make an extreme life change and work together?

We really like being together always. We never get tired of eachother and I can't think how we could make it happen.

I dont mind if its overseas or here in US.

I just think we would do great.

I have almost a 70k job...his around 45K.

We have no degrees, we are in way seperate industries.

We have bills so it couldn't be tommorow but Id like an exciting adventure for our future away from the stress.

Something cool!

We dont have kids and could move easily.

Just curious what ideas are out there for us.

In all honesty a lot of employers don't like spouses working together due to any potential conflict. Plus it's healthier is you're not together 24-7. I'm sure you like each other's company, but you also need time apart. How long have you been together? Trust me, working together will tire over time unless it's your own business.

TaraMaiden2

..."Besides starting a business....."

Star accumulating some good camping gear; think about bying a small mobile home or camper.... perhaps a kayak/canoe.... plan a trip into the 'wild blue yonder'... research the best stuff available, and consider going away for a month or two, but learn/study how to do it safely, how to make shelters, what food to eat and forage for....

Attend any courses, join a club, and research, research, research....

The works.

I don't know, but I can tell you that I worked with my first (deceased) wife in "my family business" and loved every minute!

I put that in quotes because obviously since it was a family business, it was not "mine" it was my family's. They loved her and accepted her, she loved me and was happy working there and I actually loved spending all day every day with her for over 15 years! Yes, day and night. Nobody ever wondered what the other was doing, nobody ever missed the other, we had lunch together every day, often went shopping and bought things to make lunch with, you get it, we had one of those freaky relationships where we both actually loved spending every moment together every friggin day!

I feel I must have used my quota because that's so over it's sad now.

If you can start your own business and have no degrees, your own business is a decent idea but you need a great business plan!

Otherwise, to answer your actual question, try Home Depot. They may not put you together at first (or ever) but you can relate and they are a great employer! Eventually (or maybe accidentally) you may end up together or may request it. I worked there and highly recommend it. The only reason I quit was my second wife's request. Big mistake! One of many.

Ken

You will find it difficult to get that income under the circumstances of working together, especially at first. What state do you live in?

• Like 1
  • Author

We live in MA. I was not thinking of a traditional job. Something very different and unique.

We would love it. We love being together!

Yes, I have suggestions. You need to look into them and make sure they are right for you of course, but since it's just you two and you are willing to move:

Anything alcohol related anywhere is a great money maker. A bar, a liquor store, distribution, manufacturing (that's the sweet spot.)

Do either of you have crafts that can be popular? Jewelry making, clay modeling, food preparation. A lot of those can be done in many places, maybe one of you need to get a job someplace and the other do mail-order work?

Since you seem to not want the "own business" idea, how about managing an apartment, senior manufactured home, condominium complex? Perhaps if you elaborated on your experiences, I could be more specific.

I'd love to see you branch out but my own experiences have been so "own business" related for so long, it's hard for me to get outside my box (which is outside of most people's boxes.) The possibilities are huge, but you are doing the right thing by getting more ideas since there are so many and the decision is so important! If you give us more pointers of what your strengths are, we can give you more pointers on what you may focus on.

I like where you are going though.

Ken

Ugh. Lots of people (me included) dislike/detest working with married couples. It's icky. They often can't be objective. Too much of their personal lives spills into the business.

• Like 2

Try a country in need of manpower- from teaching its villagers, to helping orchestrate water venues to villagers, to farming or cultivating. Its a thought....

• Like 1

I love my spouse dearly. Not sure I'd want to work with her or any family member - not sure they'd want to work with me either.

• Like 2

It's not for everyone. first of all, you have to actually want to spend lots of time together. To me, why else would I get married, but some people just want someone to find their corpse. Also, it's true some people don't like working around people who have it so good. to them I'd say, so sorry.

There are people I don't like working around either, but guess what, I still have to.

I like Tayla's suggestions. Listen to her, she's very smart!

Ken

My husband and i met working together. It was fun while we dated, before living together. We have been together 9 years now and as much as I enjoy coming home to him, I couldn't imagine spending every last waking moment together when we already see each other every day. I think typical workplaces involve to much gossip and drama. I think if you want to work together, you both should be the head honchos. If you're too in to each other in a typical workplace, it can be an issue. Plus most employers prefer spouses not be working together directly...so there is that.

• Author

For those who cringe at the thought of married couples, I can understand. Although, again, not in a traditional office environment but also we wouldnt be fighting nor so lovey dovey and touching eachother.

Weve been together 17 years, married 9.

We would just work hard and have fun!

We used to work together, its how we met.

Then we left the company and went seperate directseperatevdirections only to find eachother by chance years later running into eachother.

I like the ideas so I will research.

I dont want to name my skills to remain anonymous.

But have been thinking...due to medical bills and the cost of living here..we probably have years before this can happen.

Im so thankful to see these replies so I can think ahead!

It's not for everyone. first of all, you have to actually want to spend lots of time together. To me, why else would I get married, but some people just want someone to find their corpse.

I enjoy spending time with my wife, too, but I also need time away to do things that matter to me individually. I think some couples feed off of constant companionship - and that's absolutely fine. But it's also fine for people to be individuals within their relationships, and I suspect most people are like this on some level. Just as long as you don't become so individual that you become aliens to each other. There needs to be balance.

• Like 2
eye of the storm

I worked in an office with 3 married couples. 2 couples had different names, they worked in different divisions and it was months before I knew they were married. And then it was because I saw one couple getting out of the same car and I mentioned it was nice to have a carpool buddy. That is when they laughingly told me they were married and then listed the other two couples. With the exception of the couple with the same name there was no drama and they were super discreet. The couple with the same name fought all the time and everyone in the office knew when they were mad at each other. Lots and lots of drama.

I asked one of the wives how it was working with her H and she told me that they don't see each other much at the office and she likes that. It means they have stuff to talk about at night.

Good luck

whichwayisup
We live in MA. I was not thinking of a traditional job. Something very different and unique.

We would love it. We love being together!

How about opening a bed and breakfast?

• Like 1
casey.lives

just keep your relationship under wraps and stay professional. or get in a position where he is your assistant type deal

I enjoy spending time with my wife, too, but I also need time away to do things that matter to me individually. I think some couples feed off of constant companionship - and that's absolutely fine. But it's also fine for people to be individuals within their relationships, and I suspect most people are like this on some level. Just as long as you don't become so individual that you become aliens to each other. There needs to be balance.

Yes, it definitely depends on the couple. My first wife and I were inseparable and we both liked it that way. We didn't care what anyone thought, it was nice for us and even though we saw each other a lot, we never tired of it. I know that's rare and don't expect it (or a few other things) ever again in my life.

My second wife and I wanted to be on our own for our careers. Hers was set anyway and mine was in a field she has absolutely no interest in. We did our own things for money and we spent vacation time, dinner time, weekends and a couple of hours together evenings. It turned out to be a little "meh"

As I said, it depends on the couple. For my second wife and I, it was meh because I prefer spending time with my spouse and she prefers to be alone. Now she can be alone. She's happy, I'll find someone who actually wants to spend time with me. Sorry, not o/t but too personal. Whatever!

As for what others think, that's their issue not yours OP. Find what works for you and do it, that's difficult enough without worrying about what other people in your work environment think. There's a word for that..."tough!"

Ken

Ugh... would love if I had a boyfriend.

Programs:

Peace Corps (government paid for you to go and do whatever in another exotic location for 2 years)

Teaching English (you don't need a teacher's degree. You just need to be a native speaker) Look up places in China, Latin America, or Eastern Europe

US military outposts (check on US.gov) and see where/what you want to go into it. There are jobs in education, law, child care, substance abuse counseling in japan for example.

you have to be a us citizen. no exception! otherwise go... hurry!